Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I currently drive a CLK200K and looking to changing for another Coupe', and Ive made my mind up for either A5 or 3Series Coupe, I like the A5 cos of the gadgets and such, but Ive heard bad things about the A5.. Such as reliability? Leather seats not lasting 2K miles.. Are all these problem solved now?

Also I would probably get the 1.8, as im only 19 and insurance will be sky high for the S5 but it drove soo nice! (Not to mention the 07 M3 aswell!) so after driving these 2 cars its hard to decide which car I like better... I did order the A5 3.0tdi a few month back now, but I canceled it because I couldnt decide which one I preferd..

maybe you guys can help?

I also cant decide what colour! Black or White.. Grrr

Also, here is the spec of things I will have with the A5 if I decide to go with it:
Black head lining
B&O Speakers
Xenon Plus (If I go for 1.8T)
Sat Nav
Advance Key
Folding side mirrors
Auto dim rear view mirror (Includes auto lights/ wipers)
Park Plus
Hologram Inlays
Heated seats
Hill hold assist
Audi Music Interface

Anything from this list which you guys might think its not worth getting??

I look forward to your replys:)

Thanks
Dan

PS: Aftermarket mods: Exhaust, 20" Rims ,Tinted Windows, (Some sort of dynamic pack) HR lowering springs.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
A5 all the way. I almost signed on the dotted line for ordering a 3series coupe. SO glad I didnt now. They're far too common.

I guarantee you, if you get a 3 series, you'll see an A5 on the road, with those DRLs glowing in that dull sunset, and you'll wish you'd ordered one.

And the seats problem, not such a problem in all honesty. I've went 8000miles since mid September, and the seats are not bad - A little sagging in the centre, but for what it's worth, the A5 is still far superior in my opinion.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mate, I'd go for the A5 due to it's rarity value, I work in Cheltenham, drive 30-miles here everyday, and haven't seen another A/S5 on the way to work, or around & about town in the 5-months that I've owned it.
Drop me me a Private Message if you'd like to pop round and check on the 'wear & tear' of a used version.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A5 all the way. I almost signed on the dotted line for ordering a 3series coupe. SO glad I didnt now. They're far too common.

I guarantee you, if you get a 3 series, you'll see an A5 on the road, with those DRLs glowing in that dull sunset, and you'll wish you'd ordered one.

And the seats problem, not such a problem in all honesty. I've went 8000miles since mid September, and the seats are not bad - A little sagging in the centre, but for what it's worth, the A5 is still far superior in my opinion.

IMHO BMW's drl's Angel Eyes look a lot nicer...

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

+1

IMHO BMW's drl's Angel Eyes look a lot nicer...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think they're played out now by BMW. (Maybe the AUDI LED strip will be as well, in some years to come). What else I hate is how the HALOs are yellowish - like a hallogen bulb. The bright white LED strip looks amazing in comparison.
+1

·
Registered
84 Posts

I was in exactly the same quandry; I test-drove the 325Ci first, but once I'd driven the A5 I was sold. :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
DanKo,
It's a no-brainer really, but then on this site, you get what you'd expect - go on any BMW based forum and everyone would be slagging the Audi for something or other.

However the A5 is far better looking than the BMW, better built inside, the MMI is much more useable than the I-Drive etc.etc... I would think going from the CLK200K to the 1.8 TFSI would be no problem - very similar in terms of performance, but if you can stretch to it, the 3.0 TDi would give a good bit more performance and also better economy.

From your list, the auto headlights are standard on all A5s anyway, I also got auto wipers (not sure if they're meant to be standard or whether I just got them for free), so not sure of the value of the auto-dimming rear mirror. The option for folding door mirrors is £175 whilst if you get auto dimming as well, then the price goes up to £475 - that's an extra £300 and all I can see that you get is the auto dim of the mirrors, as the other things included with them (light sensor for auto lights, rain sensor for auto wipers, coming/leaving home function) are all standard anyway.

Also not sure what colour interior you're looking at, but I think the black headlining if you go for black/black interior makes it very dark inside - I had this in my S4 and think the light coloured headlining in my A5 is a lot better. Seems an expensive option to me. Personal preference though I guess. If it were me, I'd swap that for adaptive lights to go with your Xenon Plus lights, particularly if you drive in the country on unlit winding roads - they're fantastic!

That said, I'm not trying to spend your money for you - wish I could have afforded something as nice as an A5 when I was only 19 (some moons ago now!):D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think they're played out now by BMW. (Maybe the AUDI LED strip will be as well, in some years to come). What else I hate is how the HALOs are yellowish - like a hallogen bulb. The bright white LED strip looks amazing in comparison.
+1

Although you can retro fit white angel eyes too, and they do look the business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the reply's man!, You guys a ace!:D

Yeh, I have 80% of my mind on the A5, purely for all the fancy gizmo haha, just love the feel of each buttons etc...!!

Ok, I will get a A5 now:), I will concider the engine size, I wans A petrol ideally cos of the sound:p, maybe 1.8T with Miltek exhaust would sound nice? and the next petrol model is 3.2... and I dont fancy being rapped on insurance:(

I cant wait to get this car:D Looking forward to it:),

Thinking of this will just motivate me to work even harder:):D:D

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
If it is a 335i you are talking about, I would take the BMW in an instant without a second hesitation. The car looks great, especially with the M-Pack, and it is so fast, much much much faster than an A5. It was really hard for me to chose between an S5 and standard 335i. If I was decising between A5 and 335i M Pack, then I would totally get the BMW.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,

I currently drive a CLK200K and looking to changing for another Coupe', and Ive made my mind up for either A5 or 3Series Coupe, I like the A5 cos of the gadgets and such, but Ive heard bad things about the A5.. Such as reliability? Leather seats not lasting 2K miles.. Are all these problem solved now?

Also I would probably get the 1.8, as im only 19 and insurance will be sky high for the S5 but it drove soo nice! (Not to mention the 07 M3 aswell!) so after driving these 2 cars its hard to decide which car I like better... I did order the A5 3.0tdi a few month back now, but I canceled it because I couldnt decide which one I preferd..

maybe you guys can help?

I also cant decide what colour! Black or White.. Grrr

Also, here is the spec of things I will have with the A5 if I decide to go with it:
Black head lining
B&O Speakers
Xenon Plus (If I go for 1.8T)
Sat Nav
Advance Key
Folding side mirrors
Auto dim rear view mirror (Includes auto lights/ wipers)
Park Plus
Hologram Inlays
Heated seats
Hill hold assist
Audi Music Interface

Anything from this list which you guys might think its not worth getting??

I look forward to your replys:)

Thanks
Dan

PS: Aftermarket mods: Exhaust, 20" Rims ,Tinted Windows, (Some sort of dynamic pack) HR lowering springs.
BOY O BOY I HAD AN M3 GOT THE S5 DONT KNOW ALOT ABOUT A5 IF IT IS ANY THING NEAR S5 WOW A5 -S5 YES BMW-NO YOU THANK BROTHER YOU WILL THANK ME GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not so - Angel Eyes are standard on all E92s.
You sure as they are only avialable with xenon on all other models???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.