Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some time to try a DIY repair on my paintwork this afternoon, so took some pictures and thought some of you might appreciate a little write-up of my work. First time ever attempting it, so might be pants!

The damage happened a few weeks back when my lovely GF decided that resting the car door on a brick pillar was a good idea. Unfortunately it ended up chipping the paint :(

So, I bought some touch up paint, got my DA polish and had a go repairing the damage myself. It also gave me a good chance to try out my combination for general paint correction, which I plan to do when I get access to a good garage.

So the first two pics are the damage before I did anything. Too minor to justify a respray, too major to ignore it!

First step was to give the panel a good wipe down and then got rid of any jagged bits and flakey paint using a small bit of wet/dry paper. Then, using a microfibre cutting pad and a compound (CG V34), gave the area a good compounding. Did about 4 passes. I followed this up with a orange hex-logic pad and polish (V36), and finally 2 passes using a black hex-logic pad and Chemical Guys Blacklight. Blacklight is a glaze, but I find it works well as a last step polish with a light polishing pad. The results of that are in the third picture.

I then covered the area using a sealant and made sure the chip was left bare. Using a tiny brush i filled in the chip. I made sure that the paint was 'over-filled'. My plan is to wait for it to dry over night, and then tomorrow go over the area using my DA again and try to level the touchup paint with the rest. No idea if that will work..?!

Anyway, final results of my labour are the last pictures.

In terms of paint correction, the Audi clear-coat is definitely very hard! Took 4 passes with the compound, 3/4 passes with the polish, and 2 passes with a glaze thingy to get 90% of swirls out on my paint. See the results in the final two pics.

Cant wait to have my paint looking like that all over, but Im certainly not looking forward to doing the job itself. Took me a good while just to do that small section!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Looks great Doc, maybe time for a new girlfriend though :wink2:.

Reactions: Audi Bairn

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Nice work Doc. I know where to come if my missus ever gives me cause for divorce by scratching mine!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice job!!
Do you think I can get away with your technique on my car?
Homebase car park. Bollard jumps out on me. :crying:
....I'll give it a go.....:serious:

That doesn't look like it will be cheap...sorry mate :(

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice job!!
Do you think I can get away with your technique on my car?
Homebase car park. Bollard jumps out on me. :crying:
Ouch! That repair looks a bit more involved :frown2:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Once you have filled the area with paint and is proud of the surrounding area use 2500 followed by 3000 grit wet n dry to level it off. Then go over it again with your da and your scratch will almost disappear. this is what i do and works well.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once you have filled the area with paint and is proud of the surrounding area use 2500 followed by 3000 grit wet n dry to level it off. Then go over it again with your da and your scratch will almost disappear. this is what i do and works well.

Perfect. That was my plan today now I have given the paint time to dry. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An update:

Had time today to wet sand using 2500 and 3000 grit wet/dry paper and the results look great.

Only took one pass with the DA to get the 3000 grit sanding marks out and really struggled to get a picture of the damage.

It is more noticeable in the flesh, and I am debating doing another layer of paint / sanding / polish, but thing I am happy for now :)

Attachments

Reactions: danjwilson

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Go easy with the sanding as without a paint gauge you could end up going through the lacquer and paint and you will end up with a door that needs repainting.
Sometimes its better to quit whilst you're ahead. If you personally need to look for the damage on the panel then i doubt anyone will notice ti all.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Go easy with the sanding as without a paint gauge you could end up going through the lacquer and paint and you will end up with a door that needs repainting.
Sometimes its better to quit whilst you're ahead. If you personally need to look for the damage on the panel then i doubt anyone will notice ti all.
Good advice thanks! As you say, if I have to search for it, its very unlikely anyone else will see it!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Blimey, a blind man would like to see it doc. Think you've done a great job there mate.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Agree with Dan-1st class job!

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers guys. Was surprisingly easy as long as you have access to a DA.

Like morski and Jamin have pointed out, a paint depth gauge would probably make me feel more at ease though!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.