Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off I want to introduce myself, my name is Jordan. Im not new to the modding scene. Here is my VW Passat that I have been building for the past 5ish years. I know its not some of your style, but its my baby and the S5 is the newest project (nothing as crazy as the Passat though): http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138696

The car in question is a 2009 Brilliant Black S5. With under 30 miles on it the mods have started. Here is what was done today:

- Gloss Black S-Line grill with Gloss Black Filler plate (HUGE thanks to Tommy at Rival :) )
- Debadged rear S5 logo and debadged V8 logos on the side

I lastly wanted to thank Tony Nguyen of Trend Setting Motors for helping out significantly with the install today, if you are in the GA area or anywhere in the Southeast hes the man for whatever you want done. www.TrendSettingMotorsLLC.com

I did a little writeup with some steps on how to remove the bumper/swap the grill for those interested in doing it themselves.

Now on to the pictures of the install:

First things first, get the car jacked up so you can get the wheels off:

Then remove the 4 Torx 25 screws on the top panel under the hood:

After the screws are out there are 3 little metal push downs that you do just that, push down and the panel will pop off

What it looks like without the panel:

Me taking the lugs off (they were loosened with the car still on the ground)

Wheel's off!

Tony removing the inner wheel liner to get to the bumper bolts. You need to remove the bottom Torx screws then pop off a few clips

You dont need to fully remove the wheel liner, just enough to pull it back some and get to the bolts. Here you can see 2 of the bolts (10mm) below the headlight holding the bumper on:

Then there are some bolts underneath that need to be removed.

...more to come, 10 pic limit per post...

Reactions: LouKnew

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Tony repeating the process on the other side

There are 2 more Torx screws on the top (one on each side) that hold the bumper/grill in when it slides in, those also need to come out

Now its time to get the bumper off. Pull carefully to make sure nothing else is still holding it on. It takes some wiggling and some work, but it will come off pretty easily once you figure it out. Also you have to remove the airtemp sensor and disconnect the foglights before the bumper is free.

SUCCESS! Tearing apart a brand new car :)

Taking a look at the back of the new grill

Tony starting to disassemble the grill from the bumper

I didnt take to many pictures of the grill removal because it is pretty self explanatory when looking at it. All the screws are very easily visable. I started debadging the car at this point. However here is the new bumper/grill assembled.

Here you can see the V8 removed, some of you may wonder why I decided to take them off. Personally I like a cleaner badgeless look. The V8 there looked a little tacky to me.

...still more to come

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tony getting the bumper back on and in place

I moved on to debadgeing the rear. S what? LOL

Getting the wheels back on, passenger side all buttoned up:

Rear fully debadged.

Tony finishing up the drivers side

...one more post left with finished pictures!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
And now some finished shots of the days work (well only a couple hours worth of work, but you get the idea). I am very happy with the results, I think the gloss black looks SO much better than the gray plastic does on a Brilliant Black car!

I hope everyone likes it. I have a decent bit in store for the S5 so ill be around these forums learning what I can.

-Jordan

·
Registered
61 Posts
What an excellent post Jordan!! I'm very happy with my grille/brilliant black combo too, but I might just dissasemble and re-fit just for the hell of it now :D

Reactions: UKsuzanne

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Seems like a hell of alot of work to make the car look less like an S5 but hey each to their own. Great post though. Lookin forward to seeing the rest of the mods as they appear..

·
Registered
821 Posts
Nicely Done -

I thought it was only time till an S5'er wanted theirs to look like and A5 3.0tdi :D

Looking |forward to the rest of your Mods :cool:

Reactions: UKsuzanne

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
LOL +1.... Anyone else think a 3.0Tdi badge on the back and some black mirrors would finish it off nicely??

dbs - Got the A3 yet???

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yes RG... We picked it Up This Morning... It's a Cracking Little Car, The Wife Loves It.... She just took us all out for a Spin in it, To test it for the first time in Dusk :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, yea, yea. I figured you would all knock me for the debadgeing. I just think cars look cleaner without the badges. Anyone that knows Audi's will know its an S5. I didnt get the car so people would be like "oooo look at S5" anyway" so if someone happens to mistake it for an A5, who cares.

Thanks for the compliments though :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great walk through. Car looks awsome. I think the grill does look better than the grey, but now that the old grill is off. Have you thought of painting it black but masking the chrome? I like the wider verticle bars and chrome but the grey looks cheep. I found an image of the S5 grill painted gloss black.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep that would be my car n driveway lol........just my 2 cents, color match the fog light grills with gloos black 2, looks great at night

·
Registered
53 Posts
Nice write up. Yeah the Brits are merciless on their critiques at times. Looks like you have lots of mods planned. Regardless of what somebodies personal tastes are, and there are a wide range....its nice to see people passionate about their cars (which you seem to be) and adding to the community. Looking forward to seeing your progress and write-ups as you go.

As far as the debadging I tend to agree with you in general it does look cleaner debadged. For the average stock or slightly modified enthusiasts car leaving the S5 badges on probably makes sense, but if you are going to go full bore moding the car badgeless is probably the way to go to get a cleaner look, especially with black (although I do like the V8 badges on quarter panels)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Awesome walk through! The less of that "soulless, nothing grey" the better.

I'm with tech_e, colour coding the fog grills will look good. Any chance you can post a walk-through on that too? (I'm keen to do it as well)

When are you going to paint the rear valence black?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yep that would be my car n driveway lol........just my 2 cents, color match the fog light grills with gloos black 2, looks great at night
SFIZZLE, hope you didn't mind the repost of the photo, thought it would represent the description of my post better. Car looks great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great walk through. Car looks awsome. I think the grill does look better than the grey, but now that the old grill is off. Have you thought of painting it black but masking the chrome? I like the wider verticle bars and chrome but the grey looks cheep. I found an image of the S5 grill painted gloss black.
I am actually the opposite, I like the wider horizontal bars, I think given the lines across the front of the vehicle as well as the fog light grills the horizontal bars actually accentuate the lines better than the thicker vertical ones. The OEM one painted Black does look nice though.

I have considered that, it will probably get done when I paint the rear valance black too.

Nice write up. Yeah the Brits are merciless on their critiques at times. Looks like you have lots of mods planned. Regardless of what somebodies personal tastes are, and there are a wide range....its nice to see people passionate about their cars (which you seem to be) and adding to the community. Looking forward to seeing your progress and write-ups as you go.

As far as the debadging I tend to agree with you in general it does look cleaner debadged. For the average stock or slightly modified enthusiasts car leaving the S5 badges on probably makes sense, but if you are going to go full bore moding the car badgeless is probably the way to go to get a cleaner look, especially with black (although I do like the V8 badges on quarter panels)
I am perfectly ok with negative criticism, I get some here and there with some stuff on the Passat. I build my cars for me, I am always open for opinions, but at the end of the day it doesnt bother me that others would do it differently. That is what makes building cars great.

As far as debadging, this car will not be nearly as done up as the Passat (at least I dont plan on it...), I just like a cleaner look without badges.

Awesome walk through! The less of that "soulless, nothing grey" the better.

I'm with tech_e, colour coding the fog grills will look good. Any chance you can post a walk-through on that too? (I'm keen to do it as well)

When are you going to paint the rear valence black?
Removing the foglight grills are really easy. It is possible to do from the front, however I think it is harder to get the clips out that way. There are 2 little notches that you can pop out on the side closer to the center, then there are 2 thicker clips that come out closer to the bulb side. Its hard to explain without pictures.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hi Jordan, and welcome! Great DIY write-up you provided here! I'm sure lots of members will appreciate the very detailed step-by-step directions and photos.

I was taking a look at your Passat photos you had posted on that forum back in '04 and I have a question. In the attached photo (from that post), was the car actually drivable with that drop? :confused: I mean how was it possible to actually make a turn with the front wheels being that tucked? Or was the car just dropped that low only for an auto show?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Jordan, and welcome! Great DIY write-up you provided here! I'm sure lots of members will appreciate the very detailed step-by-step directions and photos.

I was taking a look at your Passat photos you had posted on that forum back in '04 and I have a question. In the attached photo (from that post), was the car actually driveable with that drop? :confused: I mean how was it possible to actually make a turn with the front wheels being that tucked? Or was the car just dropped that low only for an auto show?
Those are actually recent photos, the original post was from 04, I just edit it when things change. The car is on a custom Airride suspension, so it can be raised and lowered at the touch of a button. I lay it out for shows since it looks better tucking, here is normal ride height though:

I drove around with the car 2'' off the ground for a while and it was a PITA so I went the airride route. BagYard airride over in Austria built the suspension and it is great.

Id love to do it to the S5 too, but I dont plan on going that crazy with this one:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
OK, thanks for the clarification. I figured you might have been using some type of adjustable suspension, given the different ride heights I saw in some of the photos. Yeah, I've seen that white A5 with the air suspension on another forum. It's not my thing, but I can see how that type of suspension would be a necessity for anyone wanting a drop THAT low and also having the car be drivable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, thanks for the clarification. I figured you might have been using some type of adjustable suspension, given the different ride heights I saw in some of the photos. Yeah, I've seen that white A5 with the air suspension on another forum. It's not my thing, but I can see how that type of suspension would be a necessity for anyone wanting a drop THAT low and also having the car be drivable.
Definitely. Air isnt for everyone. I never thought it would be for me since most people associate air with "bouncy ride" and inferior handling. Until I came across BagYard's setup. They use the Bilstein Sport shocks, the same ones used in the PSS9 coilovers, custom handmade billet top and bottom mounts, so the car literally handles BETTER than it did on my previous H&R/Koni setup. It is however a much more complicated suspension to deal with on a daily basis. The S5 will be getting a static drop for sure. One car on air in the garage is enough for me.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts