Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of our BMW guys (I work for a dealer group) went to a class on the new M3 and got to drive the S5 and A5 on the track - when manufacturers have a "ride and drive" event they bring competing models too. All the Bimmer guys said the A5 and S5's were pigs in the turns. The BMW trainers explained the Quattro system was over-engineered causing the car to not perform intuitively. They also said the motor was not responsive enough to power out of the turns like the M3. Granted...we're kind of comparing apples to oranges here.

I've been to enough of these "ride and drives" to know the hosting manufacturer brainwashes everyone there, and only shows off their car in the best settings. They also do everything they can to dismantle the competition.

After hearing a few of the tales around this event, I'm curious as to the type of experience some of you have had on the track. Personally, I have found the A5's I've driven to handle quite well (but I haven't taken one to the track) and am having a tough time believing some of what the Bimmer guys are saying.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
The numbers don't corroborate that.

Can't speak on the A5, but the S5 got high marks through the slalom when head to head against the M3. Having said that, the M3 was better, but using the word "pig" just doesn't wash.

I couldn't care less anyway because the S5 is not a track car.....

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't care less anyway because the S5 is not a track car.....
I agree with you there, and how it stacks against that butt-ugly M3 certainly isn't going to stop me from buying one. I'll also admit that this is a silly topic, but I want some ammunition for the debate :)

· Registered
165 Posts
Who really gives a sh*t whether the bimmer can go round a track 0.05 secs quicker than the A/S5? In real day to day driving I do not know many people that can drive like a track instructor and I certainly have not come across a road where I can apex a bend like on a track. Look at F1/MotoGP the ultimate in motorsport even those cars/bikes react differently on certain tracks. End of the day its all personal choice and I drove the S5 and a 3 series BMW and I thought the bimmer was shit. But then that was in the real world on real roads.

Rant over :D

· Registered
225 Posts
not really fair to compare in my opinion:( two very different cars, totally different intended drives and purposes.... S5 should preferably be compared to 6 series imho:confused: M3 is the RS4 size, shape and main 'competitor'

· Registered
315 Posts
If you are all about just having fun, I have tracked my S5 and although you can feel the weight, it definately handles and performs, and was a blast to drive. This is using the stock GT dunlop tires. I'm sure when I put on my Michelin PS2's or something like that, it will be even better. I think stock M3's get better tires than stock S5's, so there's a big difference in handling there, in my opinion.

And there are about 450,954,609,359 335i's around my area, and M3's will just blend with those. Hmmm, maybe around 5-10 S5's. Makes me feel special. =P

· Registered
2,335 Posts
Comparing an S5 to an M3, typical of BMW then to find a model not even aimed at the same market as the M3 just to make it's car look better. The S5 is a GT Cruzer and like a few peeps have already said, who cares if its half a second faster, park the two next to each other, drive the two next to each other and no one is even going to look at the M3.

Yes its (M3) a brilliant car but comparing it to the S5 just takes the piss. How about BMW compare it to the new GT-R, prices are similar, both are coupes....yes we know why they don't because then the M3s flaws would come out and the GT-R would just laugh at it.

I was going to buy the M3 before I ordered the S5, and everyone I know and who has experienced the S5 for it's day to day drive ability has never said you should have got the M3, including other BMW drivers.

Just for the record we have an E92 330 coupe too, drives great but just doesn't have the wow factor.

· Registered
220 Posts
Why, when you see a BMW on the road, are they already looking at you??

They don't turn our heads, we turn theirs. If they want to run we are right there with them. Yes they are a fast car, but we are a better package.

· Registered
2,046 Posts
OK, so I've had my S5 on the track...

...Although perhaps not the perfect comparison because I have lowered suspension, Milltek and a remap, so the car is more precise and reactive and the engine is more powerful and responsive than std... but...

I was able to keep up with guys in quite heavily tuned GTis and S4s quite comfortably WITH all the driver aids left on, and follwoing these guys, you could tell they were 'ragging it' for want of a better expression. Therefore, everything is relative. Driven by an instructor 'on the edge' the M3 may delight and the S5 may frustrate... however driven by you or I on the road or the track, the S5 is awesome and absolutely delights. The extra traction and 'stability' of the quattro suits us less-practiced drivers, helping us be faster out of corners and keeps us alive. Perhaps not as much fun as RWD, but ideal for us.

OK so the S5 is understandably not quite as capable as an M3 on the track, but it's still a hell of capable car and faster than most anything else in it's price bracket. But to slate it is like saying "Schubert is a terrible composer because Mozart is better." My goodness, I'd better not listen to Schubert then. :p

The fact that the S5 is still damned fast, highly capable and is easier to live with on the road every day swings things the S5s way... add the V8 soundtrack, the gorgeous interior and the stunning looks... it's a no brainer.

Edit:

Interestingly, the S5 is 25Kg lighter than the M3 (that's about the weight of one and a half of my legs) and has 40NM more torque. According to the autoexpress review, it is also quicker 30-50 in both third and fourth...

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/210307/new_m3_vs_rivals.html#

The S5 bit of this review is here, for those who don't want to read the whole article about the M3, Cayman and VXR8

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/210319/audi_s5.html

· Registered
11 Posts
There's also that small thing about S5's being impossible to get because they're completely sold out across the States and M3's stacking up on dealership lots everywhere.
Just make sure you go to a dealer that has the most pull... you'll be surprised what the top dealerships can do. I walked into the top Audi dealership in Ontario yesterday and could have gotten an S5 by August..other dealerships have to wait damn near a year

· Registered
206 Posts
Track event

I have had my one rookie track weekend with my totally stock car. I left the electronic stuff on for all of my 50 or so laps.

I never spun out even though we put incredible pressure on the car. This was a very hilly, curvy 2 mile track, and I couldn't believe the way it pulled around a tight curve while going uphill.

And, I felt very confident diving deep into one long reverse camber sweeper - first accelerating hard, then braking hard, then turning really hard into a hairpin, then accelerating full speed uphill again while turning.

Throughout all this you can feel all four corners biting in like crazy. And in the pictures (sorry - don't have CD yet) it is dead flat in the curves.

I would second Ian's comments: The thing is awesome when really pushed and for a road car it is in a class of it's own. I don't know when I've had so much fun.

S.

· Registered
225 Posts
Both drive brilliantly. But both are on very different platforms.

Bmw with the RWD and the S5 with 4WD.

I personally think the A5 is a competitor with the 3series coupe. Similar power outputs etc and prices.

Both are Very Good and Sporty Grand tourers.

The 6 series is deffo Higher end than a 3series of A5 I think.

Back to the track thing, There are different reviews all over the net comparing 3series and A5. What I have read the 3series just pips it on track but then looses out on leather quality for example in other areas.

(M3 leather though is much nicer than regular leather inthe rest of the range)

I have driven a 3.0TDI and was impressed with the ride (much better than Runflat shod bmw E92) but the car did feel heavier and ever so slightly number (maybe the 4wd made me feel this?). It did feel very well built and did get many admiring glances.

id give it 9/10

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.