Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the beast at home today so that my wife could have a go - only fair as she let me spend the money and she had promised to wash it as well!!

Got home to find that my 2 year old had attempted to write his name on the driver's door with a pebble. Not the deepest of scratches but on a black car it stands out like a sore thumb.

What do I do? Can I pile wax polish on until the cows come home? Is the colour magic stuff any good? What can the professionals do?

Any ideas or past experience of such incidents would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
With a 16 month old..you have just scared the living daylights out of me!!!

Gutted for you mate.

Anyhow, I'm interested in the responses you get because my two cats have this annoying habit of sleeping on cars and I have a few faint scratches after owning mine for just 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh don't you just love kids and cats !!!! Rambo, don't stress too much, if its not through to the base coat it'll buff out. I've posted already about two scratches that mysteriously appeared on my car, looked deliberate to me but who knows. Anyway, my local body shop dealt with them both. One they simply buffed out and the other the sprayed clear coat into the 4 inch long scratch and then buffed back to get it smooth. both now 100% invisible even to my fussy eye. Smart repairs arn't expensive really. You could also ask the local repair centre for some mild compound and have a go yourself, be careful not to rub too hard though. if it comes out, give the panel a good coat of wax afterwards. Good luck buddy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the positive thought/encouragement on this Blade. Spent two hours yesterday with some t-cut and Mer polish (for those who have not seen this I came across if last year and its seems a really good shop priced polish). Starting to look much better with just a couple of the scratches which were a bit deeper than the others needing some more attention. At least you have to know they are there and look for them now!!

Today's task is to convince my other half that the "but they look nice" loose stones on the end of the driveway can be replaced with somthing that the little one can't pick up - like tarmac!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...A simpler solution to prevent this happening again would be to put him up for adoption. Sorted! ;)

...Joking of course!

However, that little story needs to be saved for your speech at his wedding!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
...A simpler solution to prevent this happening again would be to put him up for adoption. Sorted! ;)

...Joking of course!

However, that little story needs to be saved for your speech at his wedding!
if you put him up for adoption there will be no wedding.... i thinks this is a story that will never stop to haunt the wee niper as he/she gets older!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rambo,

Sorry to here of your troubles... but soon they will pass, and soon your 2 year old will present you with even more interesting ideas of "helping". Kids are good at this kinda stuff.

It reminded me of a story of my best friend from H.S. polishing his older sisters boyfriends brand new MG with a steel wool soap pad. Of course he was only 7 at the time and thought he was "helping" after he heard Phil complain about the tree sap falling on his new car in the driveway. But now Phil had the cleanest green leopard skin MG in the neighborhood. There hasn't been a wedding or event that this discussion doesn't come up. The amount of laughter it has produced over the years, surely has made up for the pain.

Steve's sister eventually divorced Phil so maybe Steve was really trying to help... well that Steve's side of the story anyway!

Hope it all works out. The angst of the first scratch on a new car is something I always dread.

Bob

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
It reminded me of a story of my best friend from H.S. polishing his older sisters boyfriends brand new MG with a steel wool soap pad. ...
My 2 sons and a neighbour's son were about 3 and 5 years old (1991 ish) when they decided they would 'wash' a another neighbour's Astra. We hardly knew the owner as they lived further along the road. Anyway, the kids decided that the best 'shampoo' and 'polish' was handfuls of dirt from the adjoining flower beds. :eek: One £450 respray later ....

·
Registered
750 Posts
GASP! I am picking up my Phatom Black one next week...I will have nightmares tonight. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sell the kid, replace the door with the proceeds.

OK, just kidding. I'm no help, but I'm sorry to hear your horror story.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:)
Might have to have a smart repair, but worth trying some of the best products on the market.

This one seems to be rated pretty highly on the TT forum

http://www.care4car.com/productdisplay/productid/236/Quixx_Scratch_Remover_Car_Kit.html

Best of Luck !
Thanks Andy - looks well worth a try. I've made some serious inrodes this weekend but am still not happy with it. Will let you all know how I get on.

As for other suggestions given I couldn't really stand to sell the little one but if anyone wants to borrow him for a weekend........ah the peace and quiet, I remember it well:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.