Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

501 - 520 of 527 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you know the key fob is incredibly water proof?

Back in the Summer I was on holidays with the family, we went swimming and I threw on my trunks before we left, wearing them like bermuda shorts. I put my keys in my pocket and totally forgot about them.
So we were on the pool about 15 minutes when my hand brushed my pocket and my heart sank. I thought the fob would be wrecked. So we got back to the car about an hour later, I tried unlocking it and it worked!!!

Could NOT believe it!! The fob was fully submerged for easily quarter of an hour and worked like the pool incident had never happened!!!

So if you happen to drop your keys in water, don't worry about it!!! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, unfortunately we will always have dipsticks in the U.S. Ba-dum-dum... ;)
...Some of them even make President! Ba-da-boom!! ;)
Just found this exchange from 8 years ago >:)

Some things never change!........though I did order a real dipstick for my 2009 S5 cos I didn't trust the electronics on the track - it just replaced a plug where the dipstick should have been!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I've found something rather strange on my UK spec 2007 3.0 TDI Sport.

If I have the wipers on automatic (rain sensing) they activate when I adjust the rear view mirror. Now, I have no idea how that's actually possible as the rain sensor is isolated from the interior right?. There is I believe a sensor to dim the rear view (active) mirror but if I just press the housing right next to the mirror, the wipers still activate. Only wipes once, but found this to be very odd!!

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Forgive me for not reading every comment so I am not certain that my observation is a new one: the other day I tried to open the bonnet by opening the passenger door and reaching across to the bonnet release lever, and er it would not release. Very strange I thought to myself. So I switched on the ignition and tried again, nothing, and then I opened the drivers door and.........the bonnet release worked perfectly!!!!!

So you must open the drivers door to open the bonnet. Amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Oh and ps my car was first registered in 2008 and the oil level could only be checked thro the MMI system. Recently I purchased a dipstick for 25 Euro and fitted it (just replaces the black plug thing) and it works perfectly. I went ahead and ordered even though my supplier told me that from my VIN number the computer says that it is NOT applicable to my car. Part number is 06E115611H. Sooooo happy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The right mirror also tilts down when I put the car into reverse. I can not seem to override that with MMI. The sunshade in the rear window also goes down when I put the car into reverse, but this I can disable through MMI.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
hey guys

when you put the car in reverse, is there a way you can set the side mirrors to drop down?

thanks
if the mirror-adjustment knob is in the middle position, the mirror will not drop down.
when the knob is in the right- or left-hand position the mirror will drop down, provided you have mirrors that can do that.
may be this function needs also to be activated with VCDS/VagCom

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've discovered that the "Automatic Engine Start/Stop" feature, which most of us usually turn off after starting the engine, is brake-pressure sensitive! If you come to a smooth stop, using minimal brake pressure, the engine keeps running, but then if you press the brake a little bit harder, then the engine stops.
I don't mind leaving the system on while driving downtown (we have some long light cycles), but this feature is extremely handy when I go to work at Hill AFB. We have to show IDs at the gate, and you can spend up to 20 minutes just creeping up to the gate. By using light brake pressure I'm not stopping/re-starting the engine 20 times, but if the traffic signal turns red before I'm thru that final intersection, I can kill the engine with my foot. Neat!

·
Registered
1 Posts
worked out how to get it in sport mode

Hi, I've had the car a few months and always assumed that the gearbox had two modes drive and manual. But I found out that if you pull the gearstick back, you can put it in Sport mode. I feel such a clown not knowing this before!!!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Hi, I've had the car a few months and always assumed that the gearbox had two modes drive and manual. But I found out that if you pull the gearstick back, you can put it in Sport mode. I feel such a clown not knowing this before!!!

Like having another Christmas present!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
55 Posts
if the mirror-adjustment knob is in the middle position, the mirror will not drop down.
when the knob is in the right- or left-hand position the mirror will drop down, provided you have mirrors that can do that.
may be this function needs also to be activated with VCDS/VagCom
On my 2018 A5, the knob needs to be in the Passenger Mirror position, this won't work in the Driver's Mirror position. It's a great feature!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's a great tip for those of you who listen to audiobooks with only one chapter ... if you HOLD down the forward or reverse buttons, it'll move backwards and forwards 10 seconds in the track. Very useful for when your passenger causes you to miss the key point in the dialogue, and the audiobook writer decided to make the entire book in one MP3 file.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've discovered that the "Automatic Engine Start/Stop" feature, which most of us usually turn off after starting the engine, is brake-pressure sensitive! If you come to a smooth stop, using minimal brake pressure, the engine keeps running, but then if you press the brake a little bit harder, then the engine stops.
I don't mind leaving the system on while driving downtown (we have some long light cycles), but this feature is extremely handy when I go to work at Hill AFB. We have to show IDs at the gate, and you can spend up to 20 minutes just creeping up to the gate. By using light brake pressure I'm not stopping/re-starting the engine 20 times, but if the traffic signal turns red before I'm thru that final intersection, I can kill the engine with my foot. Neat!
If you try to move the steering wheel while the Auto Start Stop feature is engaged, the engine will start back up again. Didn't know until I tried the other day to see if anything would happen!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've just found out that there's "no" middle seat, had to take some family members out and one asked where the seatbelt for the middle seat was. Suppose it's due to the transmission tunnel that runs through the back. Although another discovery was made, the arm rest that folds down has some cup holders that are built in to it, pretty nifty yet sturdy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you know the key fob is incredibly water proof?

Back in the Summer I was on holidays with the family, we went swimming and I threw on my trunks before we left, wearing them like bermuda shorts. I put my keys in my pocket and totally forgot about them.
So we were on the pool about 15 minutes when my hand brushed my pocket and my heart sank. I thought the fob would be wrecked. So we got back to the car about an hour later, I tried unlocking it and it worked!!!

Could NOT believe it!! The fob was fully submerged for easily quarter of an hour and worked like the pool incident had never happened!!!

So if you happen to drop your keys in water, don't worry about it!!! :)
That's definitely a close call! But then again the key has quite a robust rubber seal around the actual circuit board that takes a decent bit of effort to remove, you will see it when you change the battery.

501 - 520 of 527 Posts