Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as a new A5 owner i thought it may be good if we can start a thread where people post any "new" or quirky things they have noticed on the car that other owners may not yet have found.

I find myself discovering new bits and peices on a daily basis! Only today did i realise the seats will auto dip when you move them forward etc and you can adjust the head restraint automatically...

Anyone else found anything cool/new for those of us who would prefer to drive than read the manual!?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i found a sunglasses holder on the roof the other week

·
Registered
159 Posts
When the auto wipers are actively working, they rest a couple of inches above their parked position. Then they drop below the bonnet line.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Does the A5 have the little pop down sun visor behind the mirror?

Also, I thought I'd read that the glove compartment is cooled by the air con - is this true? Seen it on VWs but not on Audis.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
a little pop down sun visor onto of whats there already would be handy as the one that is there isnt low enough for me.... i find myself pushing myself up in the seat as my sunglasses are for show really lol....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Does the A5 have the little pop down sun visor behind the mirror?

Also, I thought I'd read that the glove compartment is cooled by the air con - is this true? Seen it on VWs but not on Audis.
The answer to both questions is no.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There's no manual way of checking the oil level. It's all electronic from the MMI. No more dirty hands!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
There's no manual way of checking the oil level. It's all electronic from the MMI. No more dirty hands!
Open the bonnet and the MMI automatically displays the oil level when you next turn the ignition on - very cool that it assumes you wanted to top up the oil!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Open the bonnet and the MMI automatically displays the oil level when you next turn the ignition on - very cool that it assumes you wanted to top up the oil!
Would be even cooler if it could tell when you were thinking about topping up the oil and would display the level on the MMI before you even opened the bonnet...

...i'd call it MMMI (Multi-media Mindreading Interface)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
This has to be a wind up! :confused:

I have a bright orange dip stick right at the front of my engine bay - and no where on the MMI can I see any oil level indication. :confused:

I know the petrol BMW E90 3 Series (with IDrive) have electronic oil level indication but the 330D I had didn't.

As I say, this has to be a wind up - and I've probably been caught hook, line and sinker :eek:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Reb we've discussed this before, it seems earlier cars are fitted with a dip stick. Later models have the levels shown in MMI

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
OK, I must have missed the earlier thread. Having said that it must be a fairly recent change as I only got my car in January - although it was probably built in November.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Reb,

My car was built last week in Nov 07 (week 48/07) and delivered on 2 Jan 08 (it got to my dealer on 21 Dec 07, but I was away). No dipstick in the engine bay and oil level displayed through the MMI, with the automatic display after I've opened the bonnet as described above. Didn't know this had changed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you spin the MMI knob really fast in iPod mode (and if you have a lot of songz), it will let you jump to the right area in your music list faster.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Reb,

My car was built last week in Nov 07 (week 48/07) and delivered on 2 Jan 08 (it got to my dealer on 21 Dec 07, but I was away). ... Didn't know this had changed.
I'm not sure when my car was built as it was an 'off the shelf' deal. The car arrived in the UK at about the same time as yours Scratch and I took delivery on 7 Jan.

[Time Passes]

OK, I've just looked at my service booklet and according to the label on the front inside cover, my car was built in October - a bit older than I thought it was.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Reb,

My car was built last week in Nov 07 (week 48/07) and delivered on 2 Jan 08 (it got to my dealer on 21 Dec 07, but I was away). No dipstick in the engine bay and oil level displayed through the MMI, with the automatic display after I've opened the bonnet as described above. Didn't know this had changed.
My A5 went into production in mid-December, which is obviously after yours, and I've got the dipstick ... no oil level displayed through MMI. :mad:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...The headlights are self levelling... when you accellerate and the front lifts, they lower and under braking they rise... although since lowering the car 25mm with H&R springs, I get little lift or dip anymore!

...none of the literature seemed to mention this.

·
Registered
415 Posts
...none of the literature seemed to mention this.
I believe that Eupoean standards mandate that HID headlights must have a self-leveling feature, because of their ability to blind oncoming traffic if the're not aimed well. I don't believe the US Dept of Transportation requires this capability, but Audi probably determined that it was more cost-effective to include leveling in the US-market vehicles.

1 - 20 of 529 Posts