Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took apart the drivers door where I have a vertical scratch in the window tint. I also have on on the passenger door in the exact same spot.

I took the door panel off of the car today to give it a look and see what might be causing the scratches in the window tint. I can say that it is not caused by anything down inside of the door panel but rather the rubber molding at the top.

Once I removed the door panel it seems at though it might be fixable by cutting some of the inner most molding that rests against the inside of the windows. I "think" if that is cut away we may be OK without any scratches coming back.

Here's what I want to do is try and find that part number for the molding and get a price. If the price of it is not too bad I will cut mine and see if that helps.

It seems as though Audi designed the molding with a little over kill because they actually added 2 ribs [one at the top and one at the bottom]. The inner most one sits low and rubs against the window. Now I don't know if the reason for this extra rib is to keep the window from moving around too much or not but it might be worth a try.

I'm gonna look at it again when I get some more time. I can have the door panel off in 15 seconds. It removes easily by 4-torx 25 bolts and just pulls in towards the car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Interesting. Mine has the same vertical lines on both windows. It is especially obvious on the passenger side, which is a bit odd considering that window is hardly ever raised and lowered, while I raise/lower the driver's window on a regular basis.

Please be sure to post updates if you make any alterations to the molding or anything else that might cause the lines. I'll be interested in knowing how/if this problem can be fixed.

·
Registered
679 Posts
pictures of whats causing the scratch for the rest of us would be nice....

I have the same problem with my A5

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried posting photos here and it say's it's the wrong format. I took them with my iphone. It also says they are too big.

If I could email the photo to someone, could you try posting it?

Oh, and everyone that has this problem could you measure from the back of the window to the scratch to see if they are all in the same spot.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I measured mine. The vertical scratch on my passenger's window (a very conspicuous double line running the full height top to bottom) is about 17.5 inches from the rear edge of the glass. There are several less obvious lines on the driver's window: the most obvious one runs the full height and is roughly 21-22 inches from the rear edge of the glass, with a couple of short vertical lines at the bottom of the window on either side of the long one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I had my windows tinted the tinter put what would really equate to moleskin (felt) on the rubber molding so that scratching wouldn't occur. So far, so good. Might be a cheap fix that you may want to do.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's interesting and I'm still trying to figure out a fix. I might try this before cutting it like I had mentioned earlier. I didn't want to cut if I didn't have to, that's why I didn't do it when I had the door panel off. I figured I'd sleep on it a while to try and come up with a solution.

Now our door panels have some felt-like material already there. I'd be interested in seeing/hearing what your installer used. Is there any way you could ask him what exactly he used and take a photo of it installed?

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is what my soon to be installer said about the scratching issue with Huper Optik tint.

All window films have a scratch resistant coating and are all about the same in terms of durability.
I guess not all installers use this "scratch resistant coating"

·
Registered
10 Posts
I called my installer and he said that he just used moleskin. when he did my windows he actually took the windows out, so when he had the panel off he put the moleskin on. If i remember right, it is the inside of the window that doesn't have the factory intalled felt. I don't have the tools to pull my door panel off to show you pics. sorry. the moleskin is exactly like the stuff they sell in stores for when you get a blister on your foot except it is black.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I called my installer and he said that he just used moleskin. when he did my windows he actually took the windows out, so when he had the panel off he put the moleskin on. If i remember right, it is the inside of the window that doesn't have the factory intalled felt. I don't have the tools to pull my door panel off to show you pics. sorry. the moleskin is exactly like the stuff they sell in stores for when you get a blister on your foot except it is black.
Thanks for the follow up. I have to wonder though about how it is better at resisting dirt collecting than the rubber that's there already. I guess it is since you say that you don't have any scratches. What tint brand do you have?

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have Formula One Pinnacle Series. www.formulaone.com
How do you like your tint? I'm thinking about going with Formula One instead of Huper Optik. Is it very good at keeping your car cool? Do you happen to have any pics?

·
Registered
10 Posts
sorry it took so long to get back to you. i love the tint. it looks really good and i like the life-time warranty. as far as heat, it doesn't really get hot on the peninsula here so i can't say how well it keeps it out. i will try to get some pics posted this week so you can see it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
When I had my windows tinted the tinter put what would really equate to moleskin (felt) on the rubber molding so that scratching wouldn't occur. So far, so good. Might be a cheap fix that you may want to do.
+1. After market / third party fitter tinted my car in UK and added in strip of felt to protect the tinting film / capture grit and avoid it scratching the tint. He reckons that he does it as a matter of course on a number of models of Audi / Merc that don't have a 'soft' surface next to the glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving this old thread...

I've decided to tint my windows but have the vertical scratches from that inside rubber moulding. My tinter is reluctant to do the work as he said it'll scratch the tinting and ruin it. He suggested putting sticky felt inside over the rubber but as it's just a sticky adhesive, when it gets hot it could come loose and add to the issues. Did anyway find the part number for that rubber insert in the doors?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts