Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice a few people on here are taking thier cars to professional detailers after delivery and not allowing the dealer to do any preparation on the bodywork. Why? Are the dealers not preparing the cars properly? What is the advantage?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am told (by the guy who I've got lined up for the detailing) that dealerships generally only allow 30 minutes to clean the car. They only use a single bucket and the same sponge for the bodywork as they do for the wheels etc. This basically means that as the wash progresses more and more grit can be rubbed onto the paintwork creating a swirling effect which looks horrendous in the right light. (Imagine an ice rink). Even though I have requested that the car remains untouched by the dealer before I take delivery, the detailer has indicated between 6 and 8 hours work (interior, paintwork, wheels and engine compartment) to complete paint thickness tests, clay, waxes and washes etc. To remove any swirls could add another 2 hours onto this time. I even cancelled the Autoglym kit offered at point of sale as for about the same price I could have the car in for a full swissvax facial and manicure!! Have a look at some of the posts on this forum to see the difference it can make. IMO well worth it :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I suppose the importance of keeping your dealer's dirty wash mitts off your new car depends greatly on the color, and on the discipline you expect to have once the car is yours.

If you have a black car, and fully expect to keep it totally free of swirls and micro scratches for a long time, then it makes sense to convince your dealer to not touch it.

I used to be that way with my cars. In fact, my current car (a lowly black Jetta no less) was kept in a ridiculous state of paint perfection for a long time after I got it. After a while, I grew to the point where I considered it unsustainable; I just didn't have the free time necessary to maintain a flawless black finish. It's just too much upkeep if you actually want to drive the car and expose it to the elements. That's not to say I neglected it...far from it! I just learned that flaws visible in only the harshest and most unforgiving of lighting conditions weren't really flaws at all. If you have to look hard for them, they don't count.

My intention for my A5 is to take reasonable—and only mildly anal-retentive—steps to keep my car's finish clean and happy. Frequent, careful washing. Avoiding automatic car washes like the plague. Claying and waxing every few months. Nothing extreme, but more care than 90% of car owners take. That will get results which are more than good enough unless you're looking with a microscope to find the swirls. I've taken a huge step in making things easier on myself by getting a car in Meteor Gray instead of black like my last two cars. It'll be many times more forgiving a finish.

The most intensely obsessive detailers out there will curse me as lazy. I'm okay with that...I'd rather get out and drive it. I understand the desire to strive for perfection in every aspect of a $50,000 car (or more overseas). But I feel I've found a balance between appearance and sustainability that suits me...and no one's accused me of having a dirty car yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The last 7 new cars I've bought in the last 6 years have never been washed by the dealer. I even drove one home with the plastic still one it

They look at you like your crazy taking home a brand new dirty car.

Never let the dealer wash it or wax it DO IT YOURSELF it's not that hard.

Heck I'll give a hand to anybody in the Denver area that needs help. I've got all the stuff.
My cars always look good to bad the same can't be said for the wife's car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've also booked a detailer to come to my house on the delivery day and will tell the dealer to leave alone - been quoted £160 by a professional for sealant application and detailing works. He said would be ok for at least one year. Otherwise I use a regular valeter every 3 weeks or so who maintains the car inside and out immaculately.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wonder what the bodywork will be like when collecting from Ingolstadt.
I'm hoping for a pretty good effort!

Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
when did you order the 3.0tdi mate?

Assume your asking me - I ordered in Nov 2007 - but car has been built since early March - my lease expires 17th May - which is why I'm having to wait:mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Assume your asking me - I ordered in Nov 2007 - but car has been built since early March - my lease expires 17th May - which is why I'm having to wait:mad:
Thanks, ordered mine late jan, hoping for mid may delivery from Lombard. counting the days, hours...:D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wish I had time to get a pro detailer sorted before I collected now :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
could you let me know who you are using for detailing, I'm leeds based, so if its east yorks then I assume they would also cover across m62?

·
Registered
61 Posts
could you let me know who you are using for detailing, I'm leeds based, so if its east yorks then I assume they would also cover across m62?

I found my detailer on this website www.detailingworld.co.uk, check the studio section - you can see examples of their work as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I suppose the importance of keeping your dealer's dirty wash mitts off your new car depends greatly on the color, and on the discipline you expect to have once the car is yours.

If you have a black car, and fully expect to keep it totally free of swirls and micro scratches for a long time, then it makes sense to convince your dealer to not touch it.

I used to be that way with my cars. In fact, my current car (a lowly black Jetta no less) was kept in a ridiculous state of paint perfection for a long time after I got it. After a while, I grew to the point where I considered it unsustainable; I just didn't have the free time necessary to maintain a flawless black finish. It's just too much upkeep if you actually want to drive the car and expose it to the elements. That's not to say I neglected it...far from it! I just learned that flaws visible in only the harshest and most unforgiving of lighting conditions weren't really flaws at all. If you have to look hard for them, they don't count.

My intention for my A5 is to take reasonable—and only mildly anal-retentive—steps to keep my car's finish clean and happy. Frequent, careful washing. Avoiding automatic car washes like the plague. Claying and waxing every few months. Nothing extreme, but more care than 90% of car owners take. That will get results which are more than good enough unless you're looking with a microscope to find the swirls. I've taken a huge step in making things easier on myself by getting a car in Meteor Gray instead of black like my last two cars. It'll be many times more forgiving a finish.

The most intensely obsessive detailers out there will curse me as lazy. I'm okay with that...I'd rather get out and drive it. I understand the desire to strive for perfection in every aspect of a $50,000 car (or more overseas). But I feel I've found a balance between appearance and sustainability that suits me...and no one's accused me of having a dirty car yet.
I understand that dealers do a horrible job detailing the car. But I'm taking delivery within the next few weeks and have a black s-line coming in. Do they do anything that is irreversible in damage to the car's finish?

I'm wondering if i should let them do it and then in a few weeks do a detail myself.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You'll run the risk of the dealership putting swirl marks in your beautiful black paint. Yeah, it's reversible ... but only after several hours of work to get the paint corrected (and that's assuming you know what you're doing).

In case you hadn't seen it yet, check out this post by Sizzle where he mentions how the dealership put swirl marks in his Phantom Black paint. He ended up using a professional detailer who spent several hours getting the paint to pretty much look like glass.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ahh, okay...just wanted to make sure. I use only my own two hands. I've never had a car done professionally. While I'm sure the results are fantastic, I have difficulty bringing myself to pay for something that will be ruined in such a short time. Really, though, I just don't trust other people to touch my car. It's why I change my own oil (and because it's cheaper). The trust issue wouldn't be there so much with a detailer, but I still prefer DIY.

So I can't really recommend any place in particular.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Sheriff, I have this guy lined up ... http://www.elitedetailer.co.uk/ ... he's based around York and I'm sure would travel over to Leeds. My car hasn't arrived yet :( so can't report on quality of work but sounds like a guy who knows what he's doing and his gallery is impressive. I was quoted £200 for the full works.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts