Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disapointed or what. I was given delivery of late April early may over a month ago. Now I have just recieved a good news e-mail (28/04/2008)informing me the Car will be with the dealer in 3 to 4 weeks and with me as soon as possible and everything is on track :mad: :mad:

I must have got the time differences muddled up by about a month. I will update the next installment of the missing A5 as soon as I make a couple of phone calls to find out just what is going on.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update

I have spoken with the dealer who will remain nameless for now.

So it's gone from.

Pre order: 2 - 3 weeks
4 weeks later
It's built and awaiting shipping: 2 weeks
2 weeks later
It's nearing end of production 3 - 4 weeks
About 30 seconds from receiving the above
Its in the port awaiting shipping !!!!

So now I'm on w/c 5th of May but we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Trying to put a positive spin on this ... if w/c 5th May is correct then that's next week.

And now the down side ... isn't 5th May a bank holiday?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Week Commencing 5th of May. But I cannot help but think it's another fob off ??? Only time will tell. It could be back in production then who knows ??? I'm getting pissed off to say the least, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I saw more of them on the road but I just don't for all the time I spend looking.
I have NEVER seen inside one let alone had a test drive. still lots of pictures to look at on here:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
You could try going down to the dealer and asking the to show you the status on their system? It's amazing how much detail they have when they want it. When I was thinking of buying, my local dealer (Leeds) was able to quickly bring up a list of all the cars they had on order and their build/deliver status when they thought they had a chance of intercepting a car intended as a demo.

If it's Wakefield then good luck - I went in 4 times and didn't get even so much as a "hello" ... just a scowl when I started playing with the lights on the showroom demo to get the DRLs on (I'm sorry, but if I know you can do that don't you think I'm interested in your car and worth talking to?) It wasn't even busy.

I've spent quite a bit of time sat in A5's in showrooms but having my own to play with now I'm just more and more impressed (and I came from an Audi so am used to their functional interiors). I think you previously posted you had a Merc (was it an S?) - not sure how this will compare but the A5 sort of wraps around you without being claustrophobic. Even with a child friendly black interior it feels like there's a fair amount of space.

This won't be much of a help but did you know that there's a high res 360 degree interior view on the Audi UK website http://www.audi.co.uk/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/product/a5/a5.Par.0153.File.zip

As others have said, it'll be like Christmas when it turns up. Hang in there, Mate!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was indeed an s class very roomy and nice to drive but I really wanted a more sporty look and less of the old man guise that was going on, I test drove a new merc but wasn't overley impressed and the wife said it made her feel sick. So one day whilst driving home from the office a Audi A5 was in my rear veiw mirror and I wanted one from that moment although I didn't know what it was, but the distinctive lights helped me track it down. As for the wakefield dealership I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, I have gone further afield and will do so even for my servicing. When I went to Wakefield they wouldn't even let me look inside the car in the showroom, they said it was sold but for christs sake I wasn't going to cut the leather up, as I said in a post earlier I turned up in a Ford Ranger truck so I guess they thought I was a time waster. he who laughs last laughs longest.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's now w/c 5th of May so I called my dealer for an update and suprisingly enough it's still awaiting shipping. Try again next week.:confused:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just been informed my car will be with the dealer early next week (W/C12th)
so I should be able to collect it later in the week !!! Here's hoping.
I did arrange for the car to be delivered but now I have decided to collect it as it would be my luck it will be pissing it down and some numpty will drive it to me and enjoy a couple of smokes on the way...Just imagine that... I don't have to my wifes car was delivered just as described.

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This link is generic on the Audi website !!!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
what is with the MMI on the car shown in your link?? why is there nothing below the gear shift?? and why is the center console different too?? looks like the half-assed MMI from my current A4's Sat/Nav?? whats going on?
Well, because that *IS* (basically) the half-assed MMI from your current A4's sat/nav... A5 (and the new A4) come standard without the real MMI, instead they have a radio that has a screen with MMI-like user-interface (like your A4 sat/nav) and the MMI buttons on the center console instead of below the gear shift. With DVD sat/nav (or, as another option, CD sat/nav in Europe) the A5 (and the new A4) get the real MMI with also the MMI buttons below the gear shift.

In Europe the DVD sat/nav is a separate option, I believe in the U.S. it is a navigation package. Without navi the car looks like you described: no MMI buttons below gear shift and a MMI-like operating system, but not true MMI. Only with navi the car gets the true MMI with MOST optic cabling and buttons below the gear shift.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, because that *IS* (basically) the half-assed MMI from your current A4's sat/nav... A5 (and the new A4) come standard without the real MMI, instead they have a radio that has a screen with MMI-like user-interface (like your A4 sat/nav) and the MMI buttons on the center console instead of below the gear shift. With DVD sat/nav (or, as another option, CD sat/nav in Europe) the A5 (and the new A4) get the real MMI with also the MMI buttons below the gear shift.

In Europe the DVD sat/nav is a separate option, I believe in the U.S. it is a navigation package. Without navi the car looks like you described: no MMI buttons below gear shift and a MMI-like operating system, but not true MMI. Only with navi the car gets the true MMI with MOST optic cabling and buttons below the gear shift.

I got navi :D :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've got the half-assed version and it does everything I need it to. I can't think of anything I'm missing and I'm finding the position of the controller surprisingly ergonomic. It's convenient when I need it (rare seeing as the A5 has a multi-function wheel) and it's positioned away from the gear shift so I won't be tempted to fiddle unneccessarily (big distraction).

Only tiny quibble is that the knob seems to rotate the wrong way for me i.e. clockwise = scroll up and counterclockwise = scroll down. Took about a day to get used to this and that's it. This probably applies to full blown real man's MMI too?

I agree it's half-assed - I only feel half as much an ass as the chumps that would stump up almost £2000 for a built-in, non-portable, non-upgradable, function-deficient Sat Nav system :)

Is it true that this technological marvel can't even do postcode navigation???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lets not turn it into my dads bigger than your dad!!!
Shake hands and make up or I will bang your heads together
then send you to bed without supper.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
By the way the sat nav won't postcode search, doesnt have speed camera warnings and I do think it's a piece of shit in comparison to a £100.00 Tom Tom. But why would I want to stick a £100.00 tom tom on a 40k windscreen?
Calm down it's just a fact I need sat nav because I tend to get lost a lot hence it's ordered but if I was very clever and didn't get lost then I would agree it's a bag of poop and should be overlooked.

PS I have heard she says please when giving instructions so 2K is not so bad after all just to hear that female voice say please. If only it would beg then it would be worth 3K

·
Registered
45 Posts
I opted out of the SAT/NAZ thats built into the car. I am planning on a top of the line GARMIN that i can take with me when i leave the car.... and it costs less too.... and i wont have to buy another one when i get a new car in two years.... so many pluses!! but i wasnt told anything about it making changes to the interior of the car or the MMI. is there a possibility that it is different for the US cars?? that would make me angry! :mad:

·
Registered
750 Posts
We _hope_ that Audi will have an update to the nav system in the very near future....but we'll see. I have the nav on my S5 because I wanted the tech package. (I think in the US we have to get Nav to be able to get the tech...could be wrong). Any way it came on the car so I took it. :p

I still like the cars with or without. :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Lets not turn it into my dads bigger than your dad!!!
Shake hands and make up or I will bang your heads together
then send you to bed without supper.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
LOL - wasn't meant to sound like a rant but now I re-read it then I can see it can be read that way.

If I had the money in my car budget I would have had pretty much every option going but the sat nav but would still have been near the bottom of my list. Obviously driving a 1.8T money was a deciding factor for what I could/couldn't have (bigger engine with Quattro would be first on my list, auto gearbox next ... comfort pack, drive select etc all are more important to me but I know it's a personal preference thing).

I wouldn't dream of sticking a TomTom to my screen. Really worries me when you see people with those great lumps stuck straight in front of their field of vision. On the odd occassion I need sat nav I use the TomTom software on my PDA. I haven't had the PDA mounted in my A5 yet but it can be done very neatly with a Brodit bracket on the dash. It's very slim and gives me the benefit of having 3 displays:
- PDA for sat nav display
- AMI/MMI for CD/SD/Radio display
- DIS for trip display (digital speedo, range, consumption etc)

The biggest omission on my options has been phone prep. I work for a mobile operator so getting hold of phones and car kits is no problem as the company pays for it all - we have to practice what we preach about calling whilst driving (although I can get pretty much any phone I want I still use a battered old Nokia 6230i because it's just so reliable and compact!). I couldn't see the point in having to pay for the phone prep options (and get taxed on this) when my company will install a car kit for free. What I hadn't factored in was that there aren't yet any after market kits that will integrate with the A5's controls so any car kits are useless in a legal sense (touch the phone to make/receive a call whilst driving and you're breaking the law).

·
Registered
714 Posts
I opted out of the SAT/NAZ thats built into the car. I am planning on a top of the line GARMIN that i can take with me when i leave the car.... and it costs less too.... and i wont have to buy another one when i get a new car in two years.... so many pluses!! but i wasnt told anything about it making changes to the interior of the car or the MMI. is there a possibility that it is different for the US cars?? that would make me angry! :mad:
Yours will look like the one in the Quicktime 360 linked above. The controls will be on the dash rather than the central console. I really like it that way - the dash looks more functional - a little "busier" than the CD changer unit you get with the Nav. However, I do understand that some will prefer the controls down on the centre console.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.