Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Savs, you may be right cos just had a call from the garage, they tried to charge the battery overnight but it wouldn't hold charge, they checked the battery and it's the wrong type AND it's a Mercedes battery. Diagnostics threw up TWENTY TWO fault codes. They've ordered a new battery which should arrive late afternoon then take it from there. Hey ho!
It will be good if its just the battery (its a wear an tear degradable item so don't worry. A pain yes. Major, no).
I've had a battery go on me once. No warning and it was when i finished work (had to bump start to get home, Passat 1.8T).
What i learnt was modern batteries give no warning. Only weird warnings like a separate unrelated system going down.

On the plus side, if you know someone with VCDS you can turn on a battery monitor that can be displayed via MMI (same as electronically checking oil). That being said, a new battery should last a long time. Fingers crossed this solves the issue and you're back up and running!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, at 05:45 this morning I got into my A5 2.0 Tdi Ultra SE to go to work (key worker), put my key in the slot and pressed start- all I got was a beeping noise and a red warning light with the message "STEERING DEFECTIVE- DO NOT DRIVE VEHICLE". Well, I couldn't drive it cos it wouldn't start. My car was parked in the entrance to my drive blocking in the other 3 family members cars, my drive has a slight incline so I had to wake the whole household to help me push my car our of the way and manoeuvre the other cars about, (remember that the A5 weighs almost 2 tonnes!!!) Eventually got to my wife's car and went to work to be met by a pissed off colleague who had to wait an extra hour in work on top of his 12 hour nightshift cos he can't leave until a relief comes in, so pissed off colleague AND family - JACKPOT!!! When I got home tonight after my 12 hour shift I tried the car again but same result. Long story short(ish), has anyone among you knowledgeable lot got any ideas? Thanks.
Alternatively, maybe see what the nearest Audi garage is open. Have you checked the website of your nearest dealership?

21 - 22 of 22 Posts