Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of an Audi A5 Cabriolet with the Bang and Olufsen sound system. I am noticing that whenever I restart the car, the sound system is always and on (regardless of whether I had left it on or off when I shut the engine off) and that the volume of sound is always very low, not anywhere near where I was previously listening to it. Does anyone know how to reset that, so that when the car is restarted the volume will be at the previous level?
Also, when I am playing my Ipod, sometimes the MMI will remember where I had stopped listening, but about 40 percent of the time, it starts playing at the first item in my playlists, no matter what I was listening to. Does anyone know why that happens?
Thanks for your help.
Michael:music-smiley-019:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You need to specify whether you have MMI, Concert or Symphony radio, then someone may help.

When you say "regardless of whether I had left it on or off", how are you turning it off?

If you do a short press on the power button (i.e. the stations or tracks are still on the screen) then you have only muted the sound. Next time you start the car it will un-mute the sound. To turn it off properly, do a long press on the power button until the screen changes to "MMI", "Infotanment System", or goes blank.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Also, when I am playing my Ipod, sometimes the MMI will remember where I had stopped listening, but about 40 percent of the time, it starts playing at the first item in my playlists, no matter what I was listening to. Does anyone know why that happens?
Thanks for your help.
I remember reading in another post/forum that this has something to do with how long the car is turned off -- if the car is only turned off for a short time (I dont know what that time is) it will remember where it was playing....if it has been turned off a long time, it forgets....is that what you're experiencing?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome to MMI World

Welcome to the world of the most user unfriendly, quirky, frustrating and distracting electronic controls ever invented - Audi's MMI. As time passes you will find that the issues you mentioned are minor compared to others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same thing here, MMI always starts with first song in my ipod playlist; have not found a way to adjust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Learning about MMI

Thank you for all your replies. I have MMI. I did not know that a short press on the power button was only muting the sound. I thought I was turning it off. Reading your frustrations, I'm wondering what other issues people are having that maybe I should know about. It sounds like the remembering where one is on an Ipod is not going to happen. What about the default volume at which the sound system starts when the car starts? Is there no way to reset that, or do I just have to be resigned to that?
Thanks again,

·
Registered
64 Posts
whenever I restart the car, the sound system is always and on (regardless of whether I had left it on or off when I shut the engine off) and that the volume of sound is always very low, not anywhere near where I was previously listening to it.
The annoying habit of the volume being on but at very low level every time you start the car is one of the 'features' of MMI 3G over 2G. Hrrumph!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ipods and MMI

Well, looks we're stuck with the low volume on restart. At least I figured out a work-around on my ipod playlists using the SD card inputs which I had not even expected when I purchased the vehicle. It's a bit cumbersome, but I found that I can burn my playlists exactly the way I want them to a "Data DVD" via Itunes. Then, I first move items from the playlist into subfolders on my computer, retaining the order, then load those subfolders onto SD cards. With that format, I can put hundreds of hours of music in very little space, just the way I want them and have them available whenever I want them.
Michael :music-smiley-019:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
The annoying habit of the volume being on but at very low level every time you start the car is one of the 'features' of MMI 3G over 2G. Hrrumph!
Some might regard this as a useful feature. Often when returning home for example you (or your partner) may well finish the journey with the volume up very high. The low start up volume feature avoids blasting yourself out of the car next time you get in and staart up. This feature is only useful however if you can a) Set the 'Start Up' level and b) Disable it if you prefer. As I recall both of these were possible on the old Concert Head Units. Vorsprung Durch Technik.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some might regard this as a useful feature. Often when returning home for example you (or your partner) may well finish the journey with the volume up very high. The low start up volume feature avoids blasting yourself out of the car next time you get in and staart up.
Fair point, I almost always turn the volume off before taking the key out of the ignition so it would be nice if the system remembered this rather than returning to the default volume.

Regarding the OP's comment about the AMI, mine only defaults to the first track of the first playlist if the Ipod has disconnected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts