Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone say where the air intake is on the A5 diesel? as it has been quite wet recently i have been thinking about the danger of water getting into the air intake, which is especially bad for a diesel engine (not recommended for petrol of course). I would like to know that water up to say 20cm deep is safe, bearing in mind there will be some "bow wave" even at moderate speed.
One of my colleagues wrecked an engine in a diesel 5 series BMW this way ££££ :mad:

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's at the top left of the grille - just under the top horizontal slat. Maybe about 65cm / 25". Like a big kid, I enjoy splashing through mini-floods but had never considered water getting in that way. I will now!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it would seriously spoil your day if you get water into the intake, espcially in diesel as the compression ratio is very high, and of course water does not compress...... resulting in bent piston rods and all kinds of horror. the BMW engine was replaced and i think it was about £4.000 which luclily was covered by accident insurance. I think some cars are especially prone to this problem- from memory the Renault Espace might be one with a low level intake.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Driving through even moderately high water is all kinds of bad news. I witness it all the time because I live on an old red brick street that becomes a river during any given heavy Florida rain. I've seen more stalled vehicles (and have done damage to my own car short of a stall) than I care to count.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Of course, there's a danger with this with any car. No members on here seem to have had a problem.

Same goes for electrics as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts