Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions. This is for an Ibis A5 Sline. I have always preferred the look of a lip on a wheel, but I notice that most new high performance wheels on high end production cars are center flush. This after looking at the galleries from the Detroit auto show. I like the Y spokes but there is no lip. I am thinking I would prefer something like an HRE 840 in polished silver. (Just because I live in Houston does not mean I want some Chrome spinning wheel)
What is the general consensus?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I love the 840r, I'm getting 590r's myself with 4 in. lip in the back, 2.5 in the front. I definitely think you should get them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With two sizes of lips are you getting two widths of wheels? With the quattro, it would seem like we would need to stay with the same width front/back. If I do this, I will probably go wider than the stock 8.5"w so I can fill the wheel well a bit better but I am staying with 19".

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
As long as you keep the same rolling diameters you are good to go with the new chassis. I have the same wheel you are considering, but mine has rivets (790R). See link..

Your choice on staying with 19", but a wheel with lip looks out of sorts when it has too much rubber around it. Just my opinion....

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/hre-790r-w-5131/index.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking for opinions. This is for an Ibis A5 Sline. I have always preferred the look of a lip on a wheel, but I notice that most new high performance wheels on high end production cars are center flush. This after looking at the galleries from the Detroit auto show. I like the Y spokes but there is no lip. I am thinking I would prefer something like an HRE 840 in polished silver. (Just because I live in Houston does not mean I want some Chrome spinning wheel)
What is the general consensus?
What part of Texas you live in

1 - 8 of 8 Posts