Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: I went to the TireRack site (thanks Yello Jello for your post on the configurator) to price out some winter tires and wheels (still keeping my fingers crossed on taking delivery of my S5 next week -- dealer reported today that the latest computer printout showed it shceduled for delivery to the dealer on 12/27 -- and want to be ready). Thinking about the Dunlop Winter Sport M3s in a 245/40-18 size and some snappy 18" wheels to get through the winter months. (The reviews on these tires seem to be the best for overall combination handling in all conditions wet/dry/snow/ice.) However, the TireRack site reports that they won't have the TPMS sensors for the 18" tires until 1/4. I was hoping to order and have the tires/wheels at my dealer for them to install while prepping the car so I could pick it up with the winter tires/wheels already installed. I've never ordered from Tire Rack. If I order and they can't have the stuff to me until the week after I have the car do they set me up with someone to put them on or do I have to do it myself?

My other option is to get a set of Blizzak LM-25s or an "ultra high performance all season tire" such as the Goodyear Eagle F1 or the Michelin Pilot A/S (which I know Boomer got and likes) in the same size as the OEM tires (255/35-19) and have the dealer mount them on the OEM rims for when I pick the car up. (This route with the Blizzaks is what one of the salesmen at the dealership who drives an S5 took.) One concern I have with the Blizzaks is that a friend of mine who had them on his Mustang told me he got lousy tread life with them and found, when he had to replace a single tire with a new Blizzak, that it threw off the handling of the car to the point that he didn't feel safe driving it.

Suggestions? Going with the 18 inchers (tires, road hazard, wheels and TPMS, when they show up) sans installation costs will run me about $1,700. Going with the Blizzaks or Pilots will be about $1,200 almost all in (again, sans installation, but I won't need to buy a second set of TPMS). The Goodyears are about $1,000. I didn't have that much hair left to begin with, but I'm pulling out what little I have left trying to make this decision. HELP!:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts
the m3's are great tires. Being in new jersey, you'll want something that is more suited to a majority of clear road driving with the occasional snow/slush. The M3's provide good traction when you need it, but aren't squirmy when it's dry out like some of the more aggressive snow tires out there. I don't have direct experience with the lm-25's, but I know they are in the same vein as the m3's.

in terms of the ultra high performance all seasons in the same size as stock, there is really no point. If you are going to invest in snow tires, get snow tires, H+ speed rated all seasons suck in the snow, and while AWD can help you out in many situations even with bad tires, it can't help you stop.

tirerack just sells the wheels/tires, they have a list of recommended installers, but you need to set up the appointment yourself (or do it yourself) whether you do it right away or 6 months down the line.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here in Switzerland they recommand 17'' for snow. Audi Switzerland proposes complete wheels with Michelin Alpin Tires (I put the full info somewhere else in the forum). Why not consider 17'' wheels, it should bring better performance on snowy roads (don't know how much snow you get) and will probably be cheaper.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My two cents. I decided to just switch to all-seasons (Eagle F1s 19") from the get-go. Got the car last weekend here in NY Westchester County...been driving it in mediocre, even poor road conditions ever since, and I haven't had one problem.

Here was my decision process: 1) didn't want the hassle of changing tires twice (and given my early problems with TPMS, I'm already glad on that point) 2) usually too much dry road conditions in the winter to warrant snows all the time 3) didn't want to have second thoughts in spring/fall on wet roads 4) trying to limit overall annual cost and new rims/tires for snows just seemed unnecessary. 5) didn't think that I'd be doing enough 100mph plus driving in 80 degree plus weather to get upset at not having the factory Dunlops.

But that's me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thiing. Does anyone know what would be the consequences of installing the 18" tires without the TPMS sensors, if I decide to go that route and TireRack tells me they can't have the sensors until it is too late? Will I just get no reading on the dash ofr will I constantly get some sort of annoying pop-up warning telling me the tires are low or the sensors are not working?

·
Registered
126 Posts
For me, all seasons are just a bad compromise. They're not optimal in summer, not optimal in winter, they're just average tires all year long. Remember that swow tires are not just for "snow" per se, but ensure a much better grip on wet roads and when the temperature decreases (under 7° Celsius, don't know what it makes in F°).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Check with your dealer for install cost of the package. Also I checked on TPMS from the dealer and IIRC it was $32 each for the part (+ install $).

Changing tires yourself is not a really big deal. You need a jack (one supplied in the car) socket and wrachet, but most importantly a torque wrench of proper size. Craftsman stuff is all really good for the home user.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check with your dealer for install cost of the package. Also I checked on TPMS from the dealer and IIRC it was $32 each for the part (+ install $).

Changing tires yourself is not a really big deal. You need a jack (one supplied in the car) socket and wrachet, but most importantly a torque wrench of proper size. Craftsman stuff is all really good for the home user.
TireRack wants a total of $232 for the sensors installed ($220 for 4 sensors plus another $12 for the "kit," whatever that is). What's IIRC?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got the M3's with after mkt. wheels from Tirerack. Glad I did there great in the snow and not bad in the dry. Plus my summer wheels and tires are still new. So my point if you want to save your 19" beauties from all the weather crap they put on the streets. Go get the wheels too. I've had A/S
tires not a big fan and in a 19" too much of a comprise for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TireRack wants a total of $232 for the sensors installed ($220 for 4 sensors plus another $12 for the "kit," whatever that is). What's IIRC?
To follow up, I called TireRack and they said that although the sensors were not in stock in one of their warehouses they had them in another, which added about $40 in shipping but made the deal doable with the timing. Their salesman also suggested that I go with the newer Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D because the M3s are being discontinued and if I had to replace a tire in the future I would be stuck buying four new ones since you can't replace just a single snow tire, all of which need to be consistent. He also confirmed my impression that the Dunlop is a better all around tire for my needs than the Blizzaks. (He said the Dunlop is a very good handling tire even on dry roads and geared towards better overall handling in dry, wet and heavy or slushy snow conditions even if it gives up a bit in deep, light, powdery snow and ice as compared to the Blizzaks which are geared more towards those conditions and give up handling to the Dunlops in other situations.)

So I think that in NJ I will do better with Dunlops, where I'll be driving dry and cold or wet and cold roads the vast majority of the time. (If I lived in Colorado or Buffalo, might have gone with a different set.)

Anyway, I'm looking at about $1,900 all in for 4 Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3Ds
(245/40-18s) with TPMS and road hazard, mounted and balanced on Sport Edition E1 18x8 wheels (http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WheelS...set=35&frontSubType=&frontQty=4&constType=1pc. Cast&frontTireWidth=245/&frontTireRatio=40&frontTireSortCode=54000&partNum=PE1802BS&nonWinter=true&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=S5&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=&grid=true not beautiful, but kind of Audi-like 5 spokers that should be adequate for winter), plus seasonal tire totes and felt covers to safely transport and store the tires and rims that are not on the car.

Glad to have this decision behind me. According to my dealer the latest computer report now shows my car as delivery to the dealer during week of 12/31 instead of next week. I have to return my A4 on 12/27, but they'll lend me something if the S5 doesn't arrive in time.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
What's IIRC?
Jeff,

I didn't know either (yeah, I know - but there are no such things as dumb questions, just dumb mistakes:rolleyes: ), so I put it in Google. This is what it came up with, through The Free Dictionary website:

IIRC If I Recall/Remember Correctly
IIRC If I Read Correctly
IIRC If I Really Cared
IIRC If It Really Counts
IIRC Image and Identity Research Collective
IIRC Immunity and Infection Research Centre
IIRC Impedance Imaging Research Center (Korea)
IIRC Inactive Item Review Code (US DoD)
IIRC Information Integrity Research Centre (UK)
IIRC Interactive Illinois Report Card
IIRC International Inter-Society Research Committee (on Nuclear Codes and Standards)
IIRC International Interdisciplinary Research Colloquium
IIRC International Internet Recruiting Consultants, Inc.
IIRC International Interpretation Resource Center
IIRC Internet Information Research Center
IIRC Interstate Insurance Receivership Compact
IIRC Iraqi Islamic Reconciliation Conference
IIRC Isn't It Really Cool
IIRC IVF & Infertilty Research Centre (Calcutta, India)

I'm guessing wrx_xb9r meant the first or second one, and probably not the last!:D

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeff,

IIRC IVF & Infertilty Research Centre (Calcutta, India)

I'm guessing wrx_xb9r meant the first or second one, and probably not the last!:D
:)

BTW, I think the link I put in my last post did not come through correctly, so here goes again:

Sport Edition E1 Wheels:
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...oModClar=&i1_Qty=4&autoModel=S5&wheelModel=E1

Wheels with tires on the car:
http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WheelS...set=35&frontSubType=&frontQty=4&constType=1pc. Cast&frontTireWidth=245/&frontTireRatio=40&frontTireSortCode=54000&partNum=PE1802BS&nonWinter=true&autoMake=Audi&autoModel=S5&autoYear=2008&autoModClar=&grid=true

As I said, not the most beautiful, but they are sort of traditional Audi-ish looking 5-spoke jobs. They're functional, and I'm already dropping an ther $2,000 on top of the cost of the car, so they'll do. (Jeez, between my deposit in August and these tires and wheels, I've already spent $4,000 on my new baby and it hasn't even arrived yet!)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Jeff - look like nice wheels, but the link with the tyres fitted didn't work. Reckon they'll look fine on your S5 though.

$4000 spent before it arrives though - ouch!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I considered switching to 19" all season and I'm glad I didn't. I went with 18's and dunlop M3's. I'm very pleased with how the car has handled all the snow we've gotten in the last 2 weeks. This is my first set of snow tires, used all-season tires with my WRX and 911 C4 in the past and there really is no comparison. I feel so much safer and in control in all conditions (except on pure ice of course). Also, the extra sidewall over the stock 19's are great when pothole season starts. I've bent a rim and popped a few tires over the years here.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The TPMS warning light came on within 10 miles out from the dealership. (i had a meeting so I couldn't get back there.) I figured out the reset, thanks to you guys on the site, and nothing, warning light still on. Heading to a gas station tonight, to be sure I've got the prescribed 39front/32rear pressure than reset again. My dealer says they began getting a lot a calls once the temp dropped below freezing last week; he said if the reading goes 10 percent below the setting, the sensor is tripped...there's no
problem per se, except the annoying dashboard light, and of course, if there really were to be a problem then you run the risk of ignoring it.

I'll let you know tomorrow if I was able to reset.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.