Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who ordered their car debadged?

I was tempted, but decided to leave that option unticked on the basis that if I want to take them off, I can at a later date.

Simon

·
Registered
22 Posts
sbj ,i dont get the de badge thing ,maybe its just me ,but why do people want to take them off ,i see quite a few bmw and merc cars without the badges is it some kind of snobbery thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think you tend to see it more on lower spec BMW's & Merc's, not much value in de-badging an A5 at the minute, anyone with an interest will know the difference detween the 3.0tdi and and S5, you might see a few 2.7tdi's debadged though.

G

·
Who ordered their car debadged?

I was tempted, but decided to leave that option unticked on the basis that if I want to take them off, I can at a later date.

Simon
I had a BMW 328i convertable a number of years ago and some git chipped the 328i off the back of it:mad: which caused a lot of damage.

Its deff a problem for BMW M badged cars. They get scratched off all the time by little tossers who want to stick them on their 400 year old 316 BMW thats done 200,000 miles :mad:

Debadging the car takes away the risk of damage should some chav want to steal your badge

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can understand theives wanting the M badge off a BMW, because there was a time when you could only by the M badge from the dealer by providing proof of your VIN.

It's not snobbery, nor am i worried about people vandlising it (although if I every caught someone in the act...). I've seen a picture of the back of a black A5 that was debadged and it made it look wider. It's an asthetic thing for me, nothing else. Also makes leathering and polishing easier i guess!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't think so red 1. Most badges these days are glued on, and its pretty easy to de-badge them yourself using a hair dryer to melt the glue.
I took the 4 Audi rings off the back of my TT for asthetic reasons, and may do the same with the S5.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most people debadge their car to hide the model number because they want people to think it's the higher end model. The other is that people just don't like how they look. My dad had his 2002 Tahoe debadged (even though it was the top of the line model) just because he hated the large, chrome letters. I don't plan on debadging my S5 in anyway except possibly the V8 badges on the side... something about them just stands out in a way I don't like.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have never understood de-badging. The only people who notice it are the very people who can tell the specification anyway from looking at the telltale signs of a lower spec car (single exhaust, lack of chrome window surrounds, etc)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Debadge etc

I have a black 3.0 TDI A5 on order (pick up next Thursday).

I have asked for the engine specification to be removed - simply because I think it looks better from behind. I am not out to kid anyone (its not an S5 that is for sure).

When paying over 40K for the car I want it just as I want it - and in this case its without the 3.0 TDI etc.

MArk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine's debadged - if it ever arrives....like anything i buy i prefer it simple with less clutter. if you take things back to basics - why is there a need to tell everyone what car you have anyway? that's more snobbish in my opinion. Anyway, I'm off to change my name to "september07" as my car is SO late.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Historically, the de-badge thing (certainly as a factory option) was spawned in Germany where buyers of the more powerful Teutonic luxo barges (frequently people of some influence, or with 'connections') felt that they'd be ostracised or held up as purveyors of the kind of social irresponsibility that Germany's powerful Green lobby was trying to kill off.

So 528i good, 745i - de-badge. Ironically, when the trend then appeared in the UK, a quite opposed logic was applied. 318i - de-badge, 535i - polish up those numbers! Like a previous poster said though - really think we can't tell?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i've asked for mine to be debadged. no idea why though, just thought it looked better. now it's got me thinking...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine is being de-badged. Not a snobbery thing, just prefer the cleaner rear-end. People can think it's a 2.7 if they want (until I leave them for dead, anyway!).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here's my de-badged A5. Personally I just like the clean lines the lack of badges creates.

However, am a firm believer in 'each to their own'!

:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks like you need to polish the exhausts. Spend 30 mins on mine and they are now like mirrors!

Simon

·
Registered
275 Posts
My S5 was just delivered normally badged. I had the 'V8' badges removed at the dealership at the time of delivery. They were easily removed without leaving any markings. They slid fishing-line behind and pulled through where the badges are simply glued on.... practical and harmless solution for this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
SBJ said:
Spend 30 mins on mine and they are now like mirrors!
Like I said, each to their own! :)

·
Registered
643 Posts
As everyone else has said, I would for aesthetic reasons. I was almost convinced I would before seeing prhim's picture. Now I'm 100% sure those badges are coming off! Looks even more beautifuler! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts