Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is awesome and can save the US buyers some money if they have the time or want to do the European Delivery.

THE .pdf FILES ARE IN POST #10 ON THIS THREAD

Pros:
>A new model car (Minus RS4 and R8) for a just over invoice price. The dealership (as explained on page 26) gets a commission of typically 3% of MSRP to get a customer to do ED. They of course get the difference in whatever they get you to buy the car at over invoice. The Reason dealerships are willing but of course don't want to is that for any model the sell to through ED Audi sends them another of thoe models. Think of it this way when you buy an ED car it is totally extra for them they still get the full years alloctment from Audi at which they will want to sell MSRP and make $5k.

> You get a trip partially paid for by Audi first day basically is on them. Of course not having to purchase a rental car will save you many.

> US drivers get to experience the country the car was designed in as well as the plant and museum.

Cons:
> If you only have one vehicle you may not be able to do this.

> Time some people would rather pick there car up now, Becuase it takes about 60days to order you car then of course it take 30 to 40 days to ship it back to the US.

Bottomline if you have time and willingness to wait or want to know your are saving money and not buying at MSRP instead just above invoice the difference can be up to $5k (which will more then pay for your trip and some) Then MSRP is prob a thing to look into.

BMW forums have lots of advice most of it will be relevant to the Audi's too.

Sometimes a dealership will not be as ED friendly as another so shop around if your willing.

Lee

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not really though because you still need to pay for Airfare round trip and hotel accommodations and a rental car if you only have one car because it take 30-40 days to get shipped here. Current airfare is around 1200.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats why I put in the CONS if this will be your only car then ED may not work for you becuase transit time from Germany to the US is about 6 weeks or so.

As for the trip yes it will take out some of the saving in getting the car at a closer to invoice price. But if you were going to take a trip that year and you can combine the two it works to your advantage.

Some BMW ED guys have flown straight there signed for there car and left that same day. If you savew $5k then spend $1200 on a flight you still saved $3800.

So it is more about people not have the time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Phantom, Anything you wish you could change about your S5?? More power (haha not that everyone wants 500hp) I could easily see the S5 being a much better car with another 50hp.

What bout gas milage has it leveled out for you?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't have one yet. I am custom ordering mine in 2 weeks. I live in NJ. But seeing the car right now I wouldn't change anything. I need to see what the adjustable steering is all about. I have not heard about this with any of the reviews. And the owners of the UK cars have not said anything about it. So I do not know if will be available for US cars.

Did Audi Of A give you a lease price?

Also if you think the S5 would be a great car with another 50 hp, you might want to wait for the RS5.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea but who knows when the RS5 will be out and though it will be stronger. I don't think it will be worth the added cost to it.

No lease info because they dont even have normal purchase #'s yet. But whatever invoice is I'll work to about $1000 to $1500 over the European Invoice.
Invoice for a loaded S5 with all gadgets will prob come out $5500 cheaper then the MSRP.

Phantom, I thought for some reason you were a UK guy and already your S5 I thought I had seen pics of yours I was mixingf you up I guess.
Haha I was wondering why you were mentioning shipping over here. "I was like why does he keep asking about it being shipped when he is over there."
Sorry about that!

Yes the main pain with the ED is the extra month of waiting.

I'll find some ED post on my Bimmer forum that may explain better then I did about ED and so Audi seem better then BMW but most stuff seems to be the same.

·
Registered
318 Posts
m3ikey thanks for the great info. Has Audi contacted you for the 2 week interval yet? I'm still waiting to hear the confirmation from AoA that ED is definitely available at launch.

Ok the site will not let me attach anything bigger then 19kb This .pdf file is 1.05 MB. I would have to zip each page to do it. Any advice?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thank you for scanning the documents. The one thing that is concerns me with ED is VAT. The information says that we have to pay 19% of the purchase price of the vehicle and it isn't refunded until the vehicle is shipped. That's about $10k that has to be added to the price of the car if I'm correct. I wonder how the dealer handles this part. Do we simply give the dealer a seperate payment for VAT, or is the vehicle price re-adjusted after we have shipped the car back to the United States?

·
Registered
18 Posts
AFAIK the VAT does not come into play on European Delivery. (At least it does not for other manufacturer's programs, such as BMW, Porsche, etc.)

The car is paid for here in the US before you take delivery in Europe, so there are no monetary transactions to be hit with the VAT.

Yes, you make payments for a month or two before you get the car back in your hands here in the US, but there is no need to pay the VAT (and get a refund for it.)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Speedy thats what I have been trying to figure out. Because as you said with BMW and Benz this is not the case. When I called back and spoke to Audi of America directly about this they told me.
"It is up to the dealer weather they collect the VAT or not"
Audi said even if they do it will be refunded straight away as soon as it is returned to the drop off point.
I asked them why they do this when BMW nor Benz and as far as I know Porsche doesn't either. They didn't really give me an answer just told me it would be given back right away.

I told them 19% is quite a chunk of change to just come up with even if it will be returned, they said to talk it over with your dealership.

Guess I'll find out if I decide to go with the S5 which I really like especially after that Edmund review.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Possible that Audi is just listing it in their Audi ED guide for legality reasons? I asked my dealer what the specifics were and he said that he would get back to me after speaking to AoA. I'm just going to plan on paying it since it's definitely refunded. They should really get it sorted out though. The same thing goes for them saying it is not possible to lease when selecting ED. I have decided to go through my Credit Union, but it would have been nice to at least have that option.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope that is wrong and they will do ED if not with no ED which means the car will be atleast $3k more exspensive even including the costs for the trip over and back.

With lack of that and the rather slow speed in comparasion to similarly price vehicles. It will slow my excitement on the S5.

That new C63 is a beast and was one of the first cars I was looking at getting next.

·
Registered
318 Posts
AoA says that it is still undetermined if it will or will not be available. I was told that they will have more information near the end of August. She seemed to think that there was no reason why they would not since ED is already available for the R8 and the rest of the line. So there it is, not quite a yes but definitely not a solid 'no'

I hope that is wrong and they will do ED if not with no ED which means the car will be atleast $3k more exspensive even including the costs for the trip over and back.

With lack of that and the rather slow speed in comparasion to similarly price vehicles. It will slow my excitement on the S5.

That new C63 is a beast and was one of the first cars I was looking at getting next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.