Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have nothing against my dealer... but is this the best (or USA-CA) way to mount a license plate on the front bumper? It's not a big deal for me as chances are I'll stay legal on with the LP on in the front, but was curious what the front appearance would look like without one and was surprised to find this...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Not the first time I've seen that. If you're wanting to go without a front plate, get a filler panel. Will look better than driving with an empty spot where the plate should be.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That US license plate area comes off and the EU spec plate holder is below. Did they drill through it too?

Check somewhere like your local dealer for filler panel that just slips over the EU plate holder.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just was talking about this today. A family member is picking up her new car tomorrow and the dealer told her that she has to have a front plate on to drive it off the lot. I thought to myself that I'm going to make SURE that my dealer doesn't bother with it... but now that I see those pics, it looks pretty bad with nothing there...

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just was talking about this today. A family member is picking up her new car tomorrow and the dealer told her that she has to have a front plate on to drive it off the lot. I thought to myself that I'm going to make SURE that my dealer doesn't bother with it... but now that I see those pics, it looks pretty bad with nothing there...
If you look at my sig pic below you can see what it looks like without any plate holder. The panel with the flat US spec plat holder comes off. Below it is the EU plate holder. If you want it to look like mine you need to get a filler panel that covers the EU plate holder.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think your dealer is cheap. He drilled only 2 holes and put only two screws when it needs 4!

I can't believe he drilled holes for that butt-ugly shiny stuff, and it is not even put horizontally!!

But as can be seen on the picture this drilled piece can be dismounted. Just unscrew the black screw and you're done with it! Your car will look much better!

·
Registered
12 Posts
the dealer is a hack. there is no reason they had to drill into the bumper. i'd be after them to replace it and do it correctly. it looks awful.

09 S5 Tip, black on black, carbon, b & o, tech, nav

·
Registered
341 Posts
That is really the only way to do it in states where a front plate is required. Mine has 4 holds now that I put a chrome plate frame on.

Not any other option I can see if you want to stay legal.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That is really the only way to do it in states where a front plate is required. Mine has 4 holds now that I put a chrome plate frame on.

Not any other option I can see if you want to stay legal.
Do they really care in Virginia? It's required by law inmost states but here they couldn't care less if you don't have a front plate.

Here's what you could do if you're pulled over without a front plate. Just ask the officer "Don't you have some bad guys to catch? A front plate... I mean come on... Really?"

All legal advice given by me should be taken at your own risk. Actual results may vary.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha.. nice disclaimer there. It depends on where you live yes... Out here in California, especially the suberbs they'll bust you for tints, exhausts, no front plate etc. LAPD could care less because they'll always have bigger fish to fry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Cheap

I think your dealer is cheap. He drilled only 2 holes and put only two screws when it needs 4!
They are even cheaper in the UK as a lot of dealers use double sided sticky pads that often fall off. It also makes the number plate prone to theft and use to clone cars for avoiding congestion charging, speeding tickets etc.

Car does look better without any plate at all

·
Registered
435 Posts
the dealer is a hack. there is no reason they had to drill into the bumper. i'd be after them to replace it and do it correctly. it looks awful.

09 S5 Tip, black on black, carbon, b & o, tech, nav
:thumbsup: +1

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dealer did the same thing to my car.
Does anybody have pics of what is behind the US grill plate holder?
What does the Euro plate holder look like without any fillers?

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dealer did the same thing to my car.
Does anybody have pics of what is behind the US grill plate holder?
What does the Euro plate holder look like without any fillers?
It looks like the US plate holder except it's more elongated so the Euro plate can fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts