Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Has anyone hard wired a dash cam, what fuse location is the best to use?

I've got the proper next base hard wire loom, which piggy backs off another existing fuse.

Cheers

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi,
I hard wired my dashcam in my 2012 Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI.

You can see which fuse we used, hope this will help you.

My dashcam turns on when I start the engine and shuts down after some time after I parked the car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers mate. Just to confirm have you used the very top left 5amp fuse to piggy back it off?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes we did, at first we used another fuse but I received error messages on the dashboard so we changed it...

You have to use a fuse that loses power when you turn the engine off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool, thanks. What fuse is that can you remember what it's for

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers bud

·
Registered
534 Posts
The worst thing is that your camera will be turned off even hardwired when you use start/stop and it will not work whilst parked as I found out just lately after some wanker scraped my front side of the bumper and just drove off leaving me without any footage😭
I believe if you hardwired it to permanent live you could just switch it off when parked up and it would drain the battery at really low rate and still would start for when needed in parking mode

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah ideally i want it on all the time. Did it on my previous car, but cant remember which fuse i used, or if the location is the same on the A5. It gets driven most days so battery drain shouldnt be an issue. But audi4avant has provided the fuse locations, so I can work out which is always live.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Cant remember what I have used, but sure that there is post out there with the fuse numbers, whilst you can probably work out which are permanent live from the handbook or with multimeter

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah thats what audi4avant provided to me, will take a look at some point.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Here's the link for my install thread Dashcam install
But yet again if you want yours on all time I think power magic box and different fuse is the way forward

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers mate, will take a read.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take a look at this thread:

A5 Blackvue DR550GW install

·
Registered