Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.0 tdi 245 here... I'm all booked in to have Large intercooler, Dpf Delete, DeCat, Downpipes fitted with a custom tune and Stage 1 gearbox map at Darkside Developments.
It's a 4 hour drive as I live in maidstone Kent so I hope It'll be worth it.
Has anyone had any experience with leaving the Backbox standard?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll leave the back boxes.. due to the fact this car is my daily commute I'm up at 4:30 am so I don't think the neighbours will be happy about a straight pipe...
Anyway this can be changed in the future if I'm not happy.
Photos & figures to follow

·
Registered
840 Posts
DPF decat will be the main and major reason why your car would be louder. I'd start with leaving the backboxes standard, but I think Darkside has the ability to quickly chop and weld some better backboxes to the end if you come after your car is finished and it's too quiet for you.

IMO an unnecessarily loud car is like sitting next to a guy screaming the lyrics of a song into your ear. Yes it's loud, but not as enjoyable as listening to the same song loud-ish on a stereo system.

Regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DPF decat will be the main and major reason why your car would be louder. I'd start with leaving the backboxes standard, but I think Darkside has the ability to quickly chop and weld some better backboxes to the end if you come after your car is finished and it's too quiet for you.

IMO an unnecessarily loud car is like sitting next to a guy screaming the lyrics of a song into your ear. Yes it's loud, but not as enjoyable as listening to the same song loud-ish on a stereo system.

Regards
Agreed 👍 I enjoy listening to loud cars in a 30 second video clip.. but could I listen to that for an hour at 5am on the way to work? Naa. Maybe in my teens.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed 👍 I enjoy listening to loud cars in a 30 second video clip.. but could I listen to that for an hour at 5am on the way to work? Naa. Maybe in my teens.
With a dpf delete and back box delete the car will be loud for a while, but when soot starts to line the exhaust after a few weeks it will quiet down. Plus the cars sound insulation is so good you won't be able to hear it unless you floor it or the windows are down. Cruising speeds no drone at all, I wouldn't be too worried to be honest unless you go for a 3" system, the standard system is 2.5".

·
Registered
Audi S5 Black Edition Mrc Stage 2
383 Posts
With a dpf delete and back box delete the car will be loud for a while, but when soot starts to line the exhaust after a few weeks it will quiet down. Plus the cars sound insulation is so good you won't be able to hear it unless you floor it or the windows are down. Cruising speeds no drone at all, I wouldn't be too worried to be honest unless you go for a 3" system, the standard system is 2.5".
If you chop the back boxes off the car it will not be to loud. In the link below is a 3.0tdi with dpf delete, stage 1 remap and the backboxes removed and 3' pipe with quad tips.
This is from cold start up

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you chop the back boxes off the car it will not be to loud. In the link below is a 3.0tdi with dpf delete, stage 1 remap and the backboxes removed and 3' pipe with quad tips.
DPF delete? Or gutted DPF? There's quite a difference between the two. I've had both now, and a delete pipe is quite a bit louder.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It is definitely worth checking out Bobby Singh racing as he is probably 60 minutes from your door and has had some excellent results working on the 3.0tdi.
Have you paid the deposit to Darkside?

·
Registered
383 Posts
DPF delete? Or gutted DPF? There's quite a difference between the two. I've had both now, and a delete pipe is quite a bit louder.
The car above is with a dpf delete pipe,std middle centre section and 3" piping from the Y section at the rear to the quad tips.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Apologies to the jargon,you are correct mate. The video is when the car had the dpf gutted,not with the dpf delete pipe.
It is slightly louder when you fit the dpf delete pipe.
I will try and post a video of the dpf delete pipe with the above exhaust system.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi everyone Im going through loud exhaust issues with my own car currently.
I hate loud cars and mine has become one of them since the last few days, basically I've been pushing my car some more with boost etc and found the stock exhaust system is now giving approx 450mbar back pressure. So I decided to open up the second back box port and weld in a 90deg bend facing down to gain some flow. However, now its pretty much a straight through system - see the pictures below
I'll do some more testing maybe half closing the port will help

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is definitely worth checking out Bobby Singh racing as he is probably 60 minutes from your door and has had some excellent results working on the 3.0tdi.
Have you paid the deposit to Darkside?
Yeah already paid a deposit... its OK though, I have not finished yet, maybe I'll speak with him when I go hybrid turbo & injectors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New video would be interesting...
Mine will be DPF Delete pipe, 3" down pipe & Decat, standard backboxs

1 - 20 of 34 Posts