·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I wasn't sure at first, but I like the way this looks:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Yeah the black on black thing is excessively popular here in LA / Hollywood. I'm actually more intrigued when it's something else, because you see black/black Nissan Sentras and Camrys all the time, and companies that make cheapie wheels like SportMax make it affordable for anyone to get that multipiece look.

-Ray

·
Registered
204 Posts
Brings me back to my Porsche Carrera days. The Black on Black Fuch's worked with that car. I like the look but it does seem a little trendy these days. I wonder how my Y's would look color matched black... I wouldn't have to clean the brake dust off them every other day.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The LA car tuner scene tends to be ahead of everywhere else by at least a year or so, so if that holds true, the next big thing is definitely brushed aluminum face with color (usually black) on the inner sides of the spokes, in a one piece concave construction. I try to keep my ear to the streets with these things, as I love wheels, they're my favorite part of auto tuning.

-Ray

·
Registered
479 Posts
the next big thing is definitely brushed aluminum face with color (usually black) on the inner sides of the spokes
I had a setup along these lines on my FX35. Instead of black, the accents were color matched to the color of the car, a dark silver in my case. It looks really good overall, and very custom.

Now, with the A5, color-matched for me would be black, but as someone said above, the black-on-black look is starting to get a little bit overdone, especially in the SoCal car show scene. Even on the street, there are tons of "wanna-be" vehicles adopting it.

Gotta find the next thing to stay ahead of the game. :cool:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a setup along these lines on my FX35. Instead of black, the accents were color matched to the color of the car, a dark silver in my case. It looks really good overall, and very custom.

Now, with the A5, color-matched for me would be black, but as someone said above, the black-on-black look is starting to get a little bit overdone, especially in the SoCal car show scene. Even on the street, there are tons of "wanna-be" vehicles adopting it.

Funny...in Texas (at least the DFW area), Black with Chrome and Black with Silver is about all you see here (especially where I live, lots of Mercedes and BMWs)...I was thinking of going with a darker wheel to be different.

Plus, hey...it's all about personal preference anyway. So go ahead (anybody) and put those lime green wheels on your car....(Just don't post picts -- he-he)...:D

·
Registered
479 Posts
So what are you going to buy, then? I think I've narrowed my wheel choices down to 3 options.... leaning towards a darker wheel (not gloss black)... maybe gunmetal... or black chrome... maybe matte black.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
SupraBlur said:
the next big thing is definitely brushed aluminum face with color (usually black) on the inner sides of the spokes

Actually what I meant was this...

This style has definitely not become mainstream yet, but I think it looks great and I can see it being the next big thing. I can't wait to see more designs using this surface styling. I'm a wheel junkie and this is the first new trend I've actually been excited about (most of my favorites are wheel models that are over 10 years old).

-Ray

·
Registered
479 Posts
SupraBlur, that look is really good... actually a few of the wheels I've been considering are finished along those lines.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Check out exewheels.com, there made by Axis. I really like the Konvex style wheel and that was almost the wheel I got but ended up choosing somthing different. They only offer a few different styles of wheels but they look similar to the pics of the wheels above.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Axis aka Craxis.

They may have gotten better, but have a long history of cracking under load.....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was thinking anthracite or maybe like a titanium color at first...but I still like the way silver looks on a black car...hopefully I'll decide before the group buys for Iforge and DPE expire. :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Axis aka Craxis.

They may have gotten better, but have a long history of cracking under load.....
Plus overall their wheel construction is kind of cheesy -- most of the "multi-piece" wheels are actually one piece cast wheels that have fake bolts going through them.

-Ray

1 - 18 of 18 Posts