Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am in a bit of a dilema - seriously considering a job offer which if I take up will be a daily round trip commute of nearly 300kms. While I love the idea of driving 2.5+ hours per day in the monster - I am a little apprehensive of having 70k on the odometer before the year is out. Will seriously restrict my ability to upgrade (perhaps to an S5) which I had planned to consider . Wondering if any other forum folks have longish daily commutes ? Any advice - One not so hot but practical option would be to get a much cheaper second car and split the mileage Sound dumb ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
i say get a beater or move closer to your job:D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
i say get a beater or move closer to your job:D
+1. The mere thought of spending 2-3 hours a day in my car, any car, purely to get me to/from my place of work depresses me. That aside, there's nothing that will deflate the value of your car (particularly as it's a petrol) than a seemingly excessive mileage. So, if the job's tantalising enough (and it seems it is) and pays well enough (that's got to be part of your deliberations, right?) then either accept consider moving house, renting a local place (think - week-day frat pad ;)) and travel home on Monday mornings/Friday afternoons, or swallow driving the A5 each day and accept that it will essentially over time become your 'beater', with inherent value only to you.

Or as you suggest, get something else to spread the commuting miles with. Although there's a risk that you're going to have some seriously bad days when stuck in that for hour upon hour. Mind you, would make you appreciate the Audi each time you came back to it......

Didn't really help much, did I? Good luck whatever you decide! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello from Croatia!

I have an A4 B8 and also had/have the same problem. In July last year I accepted a job that requires me to drive daily some 200 km. As I don't want to lose to much in value, my dear wife lets me drive her car sometimes so I split the mileage between these two cars.
I would recommend getting the second car which you can drive on bad weather - not that such weather hits Dubai but nevertheless :)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
...on the other hand, if you are spending that much of your life in the car - why spend it in some beater when you could be sitting in the lap of luxury?

Tradeoffs! :)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I drive a little over 100 miles (~160 km) each day in commute, plus wherever else I decide to go. I've never subscribed to the 'get a daily beater' philosophy for a non-exotic car because the whole purpose of buying it was to drive it and enjoy it, not preserve it like a museum piece in the hopes that you might get some money back (not to say that I don't take care of my cars -- they all look basically new even after 100k miles). I'd hate to be making my monthly payments for a car that I spend 1% of my driving time enjoying, for the sole purpose of it being valuable for the next guy.

*shrug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts