Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously posted a DIY mod of my cold air intake to see how well it would work. Since then I found it worked well but from a few reading from Torque pro OBD2 I found there to be an increase in heat while at a standstill. So to prevent it I need a heat shield. All due to the intake sitting right about the turbo and down pipe.

K&N, REVO etc. make kits for the 2ltr but not the 1.8ltr (2ltr = MAF, 1.8ltr = Map sensor) So I thought I'd give it a go making one myself. All in all it cost me about £60 and about 2.5 hours to to do it all.

Already I can see a few improvements I can make, so lets call this one MARK 1.

I'm interested to hear what you guys think, good and bad feedback is welcomed, please just at least try to be constructive for Mark 2 haha

Attachments

Reactions: Misikee

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looks good I did the same thing sort of on my S5 4.2 I'm working on carbon fiber heat shield
That would be a good shout, I wouldn't mind carbon heat shield/enclosure. How are you planning on making it? I'm intrigued

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Nice work, JRD. I’d be inclined to reset the rear edge of the shield hard up against the panel behind the filter to minimise heat coming from the cat:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@julianwhitta Yeah I measured that part incorrectly, hence the MARK 1. The second version will butt right up to the suspension turret, other than that it fit perfectly although the MARK 2 will be made from aluminium as well. I've also added heat reflective tape to the "hot side" Good observation on the gap though.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
And, right there, we have a perfect demonstration of what comes of a lifetime of hard liquor and bad women (or is that bad liquor and hard... never mind): of course the expression I wanted was ‘suspension turret’! Instead, the best my enfeebled memory could do was ‘panel behind the filter’... Sheesh! This memory loss thing really ticks me off.
But what really grinds my gears is forgetting stuff...
Just looking at the setup again, I wonder if it wouldn’t work just as well on a 2.0 TFSI? Same inlet ducting on the dress panel, and the downpipe appears to be in the same position.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@julianwhitta HAHAHAHAHA Dont worry we all have our off days. I sometimes forget to put my trousers on before leaving the house and I'm only 29.

Yeah it would work the same on the 2.0ltr but the only difference would making a mount for the MAF (mass airflow meter) as the 2.0ltr has one where as the 1.8 doesnt, that runs off a map sensor.

I looked into this alot thats how I found out about the difference but yeah you can make the same for both engines. Easy to do as well and cheaper than buying a kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts