Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just recently installed the CTS Turbo Front Mount Intercooler for my b8.5 a5 and thought I would share my experience in this quick review. Im not a reviewer by any means so this will probably just be a rant of my experience.

I got this intercooler from modded euros during their summer sale which had this kit going for 600 dollars, which I thought to be a pretty good price considering the kit includes all new pipes (including charge pipe) and a pretty good intercooler. The reason I wanted one is that I live in texas and the summer heat has been doing work on my old intercooler causing heatsoak, so I wanted an IC that could maintain colder temperatures for longer. Anyhow, after ordering the kit from modded euros, it took roughly 2 weeks or so to arrive, and it all came in one big box. Important note, the box only came with the parts, no instructions. This was the same for the CTS turbo CAI I installed months ago, but at least that one had instructions online. THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS FMIC ONLINE. I looked for a long time and found instructions for a older model of intercooler which do not really apply to this one. Luckily I did find a YouTube video of a guy installing this same FMIC on his b8 a4, so close enough? Following his guide was great for removing the bumper and getting the old intercooler out, but after that step you are all alone. The youtube video does not explain what pipes go where, its basically a small puzzle you kind of have to figure out by yourself. Additionally, if you dont drill your intercooler close enough into your crash bar, you will find it extremely hard to put the rubber pipes over the intercooler entrance and exit. (I accidentally opened up my AC refrigerant line trying to get access to the intercooler exit). All in all, the actual install part of the process was a bit of a nightmare honestly. It wasn't impossible, but it took re-drilling, assembling and disassembling multiple times the pipe system, and a few headaches. Also worth noting, the clamps that come with this system are god awful. They barely stretch over the rubber pipes and are super inconvenient to use. I ended up using mostly the clamps from the old system. Once the install was done, reattaching the bumper and cleaning everything up was simple. Its been a week since and I love this new intercooler, it genuinely does feel more powerful and I can push the car for much longer without heatsoak.

TLDR: Great product, works really well, a pain in the ass to install. 8/10. Give us instructions!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts