Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 07 Audi A5 Quattro 3lt Diesel a week ago - the manual tells me that that Cruise Control in on a separate stalk on the left of the steering column - but it's not! I only have 2 stalks - right hand for windscreen wipers and on board computer (left for indicators etc) - I accidentally set it last night when pushing every button under the sun so I know it's there somewhere!! My suspicion is that it is on the right hand stalk but the handbook certainly does not make it clear - and I am very frustrated. (And for a laugh you may like to know that I had a retro fit guy coming this morning to fit it...... which he very kindly let me cancel! I possibly could have ended up with the only A5 with 2 Cruise Controls!!)
What a great car!
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hallo Gordon,
i could not see where you are from. So i have to say if you have a lefthanddrive car the cruise control ist is an extra stalk on the left side. If there is not, you haven't cruise control.
I don't know how it is on a righthanddrive car.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Gordon - cruise control is an option - just because it is in the manual doesn't guarantee you have it fitted.

·
4,545 Posts
#32 would be the cruise control :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
If you don't have a second, smaller stalk lower on the left side of the steering column, then you don't have cruise control. It was an option when I ordered my car in the uk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks .... but.....

HI Guys - thanks for your input. I did not think it had Cruise either as it does not have the 2nd stalk... but last night (don't know how) I managed to get it to cruise. So I called the previous owner and he confirmed that it does have Cruise, does not have the 2nd stalk, tells me there is a button somewhere on the dash (small - and he cannot remember where!!!!) and then once this is set you can control the speed up and down with the right hand "volume" controls.... He assures me it does have Cruise.
Heading off to an Audi dealer but don't think they will be much use!
Cheers

G

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why not put up a picture of the dash and then we can see whats different to ours?

Definitely not an official Audi cruise control by the sound of it, the stalk lets you up and lower the speed too, a button wouldn't do that and would be a silly idea!

What part of the world do you live in? And lets have some pics of your new car!

·
Registered
634 Posts
tells me there is a button somewhere on the dash (small - and he cannot remember where!!!!) and then once this is set you can control the speed up and down with the right hand "volume" controls.... He assures me it does have Cruise
Sounds like an after market modification, not Audi technology.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again
Spoke to the previous owner today (again) and he assured me that it was fitted as new from Audi. He is going back to the garage next week and is going to ask them about it and get me the full spec of the car. I am fascinated by this. Will get some pics of the dash and post them some time this coming week.
Thanks again for you help guys - much appreciated.
Oh - in the UK - UK Spec car....
Cheers
G

·
4,545 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
agreed - no 2nd stalk = aftermaket job.

Bit strange really as not that much to add oem

Don't let it spoil the enjoyment of the car

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
@OP - definitely take up Fred on his offer and PM your VIN to him to get your spec. This is quite fascinating. When I was looking for my used A5, cruise was high on my spec list, and I travelled miles to get mine (trad cruise with extra stalk). Would be interesting if this turned out to be a 'latent' feature in A5s with no specc'd option.

·
Registered
637 Posts
HI Guys - thanks for your input. I did not think it had Cruise either as it does not have the 2nd stalk... but last night (don't know how) I managed to get it to cruise. So I called the previous owner and he confirmed that it does have Cruise, does not have the 2nd stalk, tells me there is a button somewhere on the dash (small - and he cannot remember where!!!!) and then once this is set you can control the speed up and down with the right hand "volume" controls.... He assures me it does have Cruise.
Heading off to an Audi dealer but don't think they will be much use!
Cheers

G
I really carnt see the volume control working along side cruise ,if it does tell Audi they might pay you as youve probally got a better system than a extra stalk that is difficult for us to use.
Are you really sure that you got cruise when driving?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HI Fred - thanks for the offer - VIN here:-
WAUZZZ8T78A018210
I "bumped into" the cruise again yesterday - maybe I do not have cruise and the car has a fault!!!! That's what I am beginning to wonder - it's driving me nuts but certainly NOT letting it spoil the enjoyment of the car - I love it - best car I've had.
Incidentally - if anyone else is interested when I did not think I had cruise (and maybe I do not have cruise!!!) I had arranged for these guys to come and fit it - genuine Audi parts etc - poollretrofits.com. I canceled it at really short notice and they were great about it all (and laughed!!) - maybe I will end up re booking the service.
Will keep you all posted and thanks again for your input - all very much appreciated.

·
4,545 Posts
@Gordon
I did register the VIN and I can see the technical details of the car, but not the standard and/or the extra options.
this is new to me.
may be it is a problem with audi's database, so I'll check back to-morrow.
and I did send them en email.
what I did find out, when decoding your VIN, is that the car is MY2008.

another way to find the options on the car is going by the info on the sticker, that should be on the first page of yr service-manual.
there must be a similar sticker somewhere in the car.
usually somewhere in the boot.
take a look at my sticker, so you know what to look for.
make a picture and show it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
You can tell from the sticker if your car was built with cruise control - the codes in the bottom half of the sticker are the options when it was ordered. Cruise is 8T1. The decode is in the brochure, which you can download as a PDF from the Audi website.

Hopenthis helps. Still confused how you're managing to get cruise to engage properly without the extra stalk low on the left hand side!?

·
4,545 Posts
obviously, inspection of the sticker is now the only option.
however, I do have cruise control, but there is no option for it on my sticker, as CC is a default feature and is not mentioned seperately.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HI Guys - had all but given up and assumed that I did not have Cruise - but then on the way home tonight I suddenly found myself cruising - and I am now wondering if it is a fault in the car -but the previous owner still assures me that there is Cruise but he cannot remember how to turn it on (he is now enjoying his brand new S5) and is over 140 miles away so cannot help...
I've taken a photo of the sticker but don't know how to load the image here - ... I think I have done it right..... :)

Thanks
G

Attachments

·
4,545 Posts
I have decoded the sticker.
and it does not show any cruise control as a separate option.
but my sticker does not show the CC either.
what you have is a code X2B = National sales program Great Britain.
I have a similar code, i.e. X2C = National sales program the Netherlands.
in Holland is a standard option and therefore not mentioned seperately.
so what else can we do ??
send an email to Audi UK and ask them what X2B means :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Insert your codes here to find out their meaning. Note, some codes only provide a simple description, which may be less than your looking for.

VW Group Option Codes Decoder

Cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts