Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 4 CREE LED reverse lights (http://store.ijdmtoy.com/T15-912-921...t15_sku311.htm) for my 09 A5 and I bought 4 of these resistors (http://www.amazon.com/Resistors-Sign...ords=resistors) to go with each bulb. I wired in the resistor into the ground of each bulb and I still get a bulb out warning. I tried each one individually with the same success. I dont know much about this and was wondering if the resistor I purchased does not cover the load of the bulb. I kind of find that hard to believe since the bulb is only 2.5W?? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got it. I figured the coding would be different between the A/S4 and the A/S5, since we have four bulbs compared to their 2. Once I got the channel it was just a matter of figuring out which decimals coded for the reverse lights (or which 1's I had to change to 0's to turn off the reverse light sensors).

Steps:
1. Module 46 Central Convenience > Security Access 16 > 16017 (use this access code, not the one the ross-tech suggests)
2. Adaption 10 > Channel 181 >Read

The value you get is 65535 (at least that was mine). When you convert that to decimal it comes out to 1111111111111111. Bits 8,9,10,11 code for the reverse lights (1111RLRL11111111) so when you convert them it becomes 1111000011111111. Convert that back to binary and it becomes 61695

3. Enter 61695, hit test then save. Done.

No more reverse light error message. Thanks to awhk82 for showing me the path, couldn't have done it otherwise. These steps are for the US Spec lights, but if you get the value 65535 then the above steps should work in ROW.

I got the Cree ones also and they are nice and bright. What I don't like about them is when they are off and in the housing, the shape and angle of the lens gives of a kind of yellowish tint, which you can see through the glass. Also it gives off more of a spotlight effect than actually filling the housing with LED light. I may have to find another brand that doesn't give off that yellowish tint, but for now it's ok.

Edit: BTW I didn't need or use any resistors. Also the face lift model IS different being that it only needs 2 bulbs instead of 4. If you follow the above method it should still work, as it did for someone else when they tried it on theirs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Stupid question, but is there a simple way to get the outer reverse bulbs out of their housings? The trunk lid reverse bulbs are easy enough to get to, but I don't see how to access the outer pair.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wrote a short DIY on the the other site:

DIY

Tools needed: flat head screwdriver, vag com cable

Open the trunk and look on the inside edge of the back of the trunk (inside part of the trunk behind the license plate). You will see 2 flaps on either side. when you pull those away, you can see the back of the light housing. The housing is fixed in place by two black brackets that you can unscrew using the flat head screwdriver. After unscrewing and removing these brackets, you can disconnect the wiring and pull the light housing off the vehicle. Locate the reverse light bulb, unscrew the holder, remove and replace the bulbs with the new LEDs. Do not put it back yet, connect the wires back and let it stay there. Now repeat these steps for the other side.

After changing those, you want to access the other lights. Access the cubby hole where the amplifier sits. You will see a black bracket piece about 2 inches long that comes strait out which holds the housing in place. Using the flat head screwdriver, unscrew the bracket by putting the screwdriver strait in. Once the bracket is off, you can pull the light housing off the car, but there are 2 clips that still hold the light in place. To get the light off, you must GENTLY yet with a little bit of force, pull the housing away from the car, toward the rear, not side. Once the light housing is off, replace the bulbs with the new LEDs, and again don't put it back yet. Repeat for the other side by accessing the area behind the cubby hole on the right.

Once all 4 bulbs are installed, pull the parking brake on and turn on the ignition. You do not have to turn on your car, just the ignition to ON position. Shift into R, at which point you will see the error message pop up on your speedometer. Go and check all the bulbs to make sure they are working. If they are not, that means the polarity is reversed. Take the bulb out, flip it around, replace and the light should now be working. Once all are working, turn the car off and put the lights back on the car using the reverse order. Then use the vag com and to get rid of the reverse light message.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wrote a short DIY on the the other site:

DIY

Tools needed: flat head screwdriver, vag com cable

Open the trunk and look on the inside edge of the back of the trunk (inside part of the trunk behind the license plate). You will see 2 flaps on either side. when you pull those away, you can see the back of the light housing. The housing is fixed in place by two black brackets that you can unscrew using the flat head screwdriver. After unscrewing and removing these brackets, you can disconnect the wiring and pull the light housing off the vehicle. Locate the reverse light bulb, unscrew the holder, remove and replace the bulbs with the new LEDs. Do not put it back yet, connect the wires back and let it stay there. Now repeat these steps for the other side.

After changing those, you want to access the other lights. Access the cubby hole where the amplifier sits. You will see a black bracket piece about 2 inches long that comes strait out which holds the housing in place. Using the flat head screwdriver, unscrew the bracket by putting the screwdriver strait in. Once the bracket is off, you can pull the light housing off the car, but there are 2 clips that still hold the light in place. To get the light off, you must GENTLY yet with a little bit of force, pull the housing away from the car, toward the rear, not side. Once the light housing is off, replace the bulbs with the new LEDs, and again don't put it back yet. Repeat for the other side by accessing the area behind the cubby hole on the right.

Once all 4 bulbs are installed, pull the parking brake on and turn on the ignition. You do not have to turn on your car, just the ignition to ON position. Shift into R, at which point you will see the error message pop up on your speedometer. Go and check all the bulbs to make sure they are working. If they are not, that means the polarity is reversed. Take the bulb out, flip it around, replace and the light should now be working. Once all are working, turn the car off and put the lights back on the car using the reverse order. Then use the vag com and to get rid of the reverse light message.
:thumbsup:

Perfect, thank you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Forget adding resistors, capacitors, flux capacitors, and/or transducers to make your reverse LED's work. VAG COM is the only way to fly.

PS. VAG COM is very intimidating, but if you're careful reading the directions and make note of your changes somewhere, there's no reason YOU can't do this too!

Some visual motivation...this mod is SO worth it. LED's from iJDMtoy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got it. I figured the coding would be different between the A/S4 and the A/S5, since we have four bulbs compared to their 2. Once I got the channel it was just a matter of figuring out which decimals coded for the reverse lights (or which 1's I had to change to 0's to turn off the reverse light sensors).

Steps:
1. Module 46 Central Convenience > Security Access 16 > 16017 (use this access code, not the one the ross-tech suggests)

The value you get is 65535 (at least that was mine). When you convert that to decimal it comes out to 1111111111111111. Bits 5,6,7,8 code for the reverse lights (1111RLRL11111111) so when you convert them it becomes 1111000011111111. Convert that back to binary and it becomes 61695

No more reverse light error message. Thanks to awhk82 for showing me the path, couldn't have done it otherwise. These steps are for the US Spec lights, but if you get the value 65535 then the above steps should work in ROW.

I got the Cree ones also and they are nice and bright. What I don't like about them is when they are off and in the housing, the shape and angle of the lens gives of a kind of yellowish tint, which you can see through the glass. Also it gives off more of a spotlight effect than actually filling the housing with LED light. I may have to find another brand that doesn't give off that yellowish tint, but for now it's ok.

Edit: BTW I didn't need or use any resistors. Also the face lift model IS different being that it only needs 2 bulbs instead of 4. If you follow the above method it should still work, as it did for someone else when they tried it on theirs.
1111RLRL11111111 - ??????????

Sorry but......
- Binary values are read from right to left and start at 0

/15/14/1312/11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1/0

for example number in decimal is 65535, converted to binary = 1111111111111111), then change bit 10 and 11 from 1 to 0 (new binary value becomes 1111001111111111, which is 62463 in decimal

Decimal/Binary Conversion Tool
Decimal and Binary Conversion Tool

Post #58
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/385959-DIY-LED-Reverse-Light/page2
Post #2
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/538899-CREE-LED-reverse-lights-with-RESISTOR-and-I-STILL-get-a-bulb-out-warning?p=8713001&viewfull=1#post8713001

·
Registered
280 Posts
You're right, forgot to update the post on this site, did it on the other. Corrected.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Steps:

The value you get is 65535 (at least that was mine). When you convert that to decimal it comes out to 1111111111111111. Bits 8,9,10,11 code for the reverse lights (1111RLRL11111111) so when you convert them it becomes 1111000011111111. Convert that back to binary and it becomes 61695

Is this coding the same for the UK?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Is this coding the same for the UK?
No, UK cars only have two reversing bulbs (the other two are fog lights). I believe you only need to changes bit 10 and 11 on UK cars to zero.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi, the security unlock code will not work for me (the one you gave nor the one Ross Tech gave). not sure what the problem is. anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Took me forever to get a security access code from the Ross Tech Forum that unlocked the Central Convenience module on my '08 S5. It was 41067. I then followed your instuctions and still get the bulb out fault. No step of this project seems to go for me the way it does for everyone else. Why is my car different? Is there some other adaptation code I should use besides 61695? I have a US car with 4 reverse bulbs. I don't know what to do but this is driving me crazy. I bet I have 10 hours invested in trying to make this work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, through lots of trial and error using a binary decoder, I figured it out. The programming for my car is 50175 with binary being 1100001111111111 It works now. Why is my car different than everyone elses.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Have to give this a try although I suspect I have bigger issues.

We have quite a selection of CREE bulbs as have done replacements on a few of our cars however....when I replace the reversing bulb on my 2008 A5 the actual bulb turns off after a couple of seconds.

I still get the bulb out but why would the light turn off with the LED in? I have to kill the ignition and remove the key before I can get the circuit to power a regular bulb after the LED has turned it off.

The regular bulb stays on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Many thanks to "shonseb" and "biggal76".

Shonseb's write up was spot on except that as usual my A5 likes to be different....(always seems to be the 08's).

Just like biggal76's 08 I had to use the security access code 41067 as the one in shonseb's write up was not accepted.

Though the coding was still the same as Shonseb's as it returned a value of 65535 so changing that to 61695 worked fine.

Also the led cutting out after a couple
of seconds was linked to the bulb out error, when the car read a fault with the bulb it switched the circuit to that light off so in my case it was not a case of putting up with a bulb out warning but physically it wouldn't work until I disabled the bulb check.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Finally I can see when I reverse (17% rear light tints had reduced the already poor reverse lighting to near useless).

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info guys I followed this and the link off Audizine with success on my car. 2011 2.0t in Canada.

“I have disabled the reverse light bulb error check with VAGCOM. Now running LED bulbs without any issue.

Here are the steps:
Module 46 Central Convenience > Security Access 16 > 16017
Adaption 10 > Channel 181 > Convert your decimal number to binary (for example my default number in decimal is 65535, converted to binary = 1111111111111111), then change bit 10 and 11 from 1 to 0 (my new binary value becomes 1111001111111111, which is 62463 in decimal) > Enter the new binary value > Test > Save”

1111RLRL11111111 -

for example number in decimal is 65535, converted to binary = 1111111111111111), then change bit 10 and 11 from 1 to 0 (new binary value becomes 1111001111111111, which is 62463 in decimal

Decimal/Binary Conversion Tool
Decimal and Binary Conversion Tool

Post #58
DIY LED Reverse Light - Page 2
Post #2
CREE LED reverse lights with RESISTOR and I STILL get a bulb out warning

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
10 Participants
Cb750
Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum
A5oc Forum is an international Audi A5-S5 owners club to discuss mods, AWD quattro, turbo upgrades & more
Full Forum Listing