Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my S5 for nearly a month now and love it. The only annoying things so far are when going over bumps the B pillar covers seem to creak, has anyone else experienced this? Also, when going over 70/80mph, there's a lot of wind noise, again anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
only creek ive noticed is when it gets very cold my back screen makes a noise... concerns me a tad that it might go crack if i was to go through any bumps.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That's interesting Jen because the week that the car was due to go in for its recent service, I heard the strangest sound coming from the rear of the car at about 60-70 on a dual carriageway - sounded like a whirring/whining sound - I was about to pull over because it sounded like it may be transmission-related. I turned the B&O up and faded to the rear and the it seemed like the speakers were distorting/vibrating - when I turned the volume down, there was a clear buzzing from the rear screen/parcel shelf area.

I asked Audi to look at it and of course, they coudn't re-create it and it's only been evident, in a lesser form, once since (2 weeks or so).

That said, there's definitely more creaks from the dash/door area than I would have expected, given Audi'd legendary build quality. I may not have helped matters by a running the car for a few months on H & R springs and latterly, coilovers but even so, it's bl**dy annoying!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also experiencing creaks etc from the drivers door and the plastic casing around the headlight switch! It seems to be really noticable when the car is cold but it does become an obsession and is very annoying!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I get a creak (seems to be from somewhere just behind the rear seats) which only seems evident first thing in the day. Told the garage about it at the recent service but no joy from them.

I had a golf a number of years ago which made a similar creak/groan and it was a known issue solved by greasing some joints. Hoped it would be similar on the A5 and that they could do something without hearing it but that was not the case. Mind you, even if it is a known fault the usual ineptness of the dealer would probably preclude them from fixing!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
COLD WEATHER:confused:
noise from rear screen was like it was going to crack

also drivers door wouldnt shut due to frozen lock:eek:
had to spray de icer in it
then
window wasnt going up so wind noise had to open close door about 10 times to get it to seal window:confused::confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My sunroof, rear window/deck lid, upper dash on drivers side, and the aluminum trim in the driver side door panel all rattle in cold whether. I'm sure I forgot to name a few rattles but those are all enough to drive me ape s#+t!! Took it into the dealer for it's 5000 mile service and mentioned the sunroof and rear window rattle. They lined the sunroof with felt, and said they couldn't get the rear window to rattle?!?! I didn't mention any of the other rattles because I didn't want the service manager think I was a picky basterd and not want to help me fix my problem. I told him when I picked it up that I had a few more rattles and I schedule to get it back in when I got a chance. For what it's worth, the felt fixed the sunroof, and of corse, the window rattles back.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've had my S5 for nearly a month now and love it. The only annoying things so far are when going over bumps the B pillar covers seem to creak, has anyone else experienced this? Also, when going over 70/80mph, there's a lot of wind noise, again anyone else noticed this?

Thanks
I don't have these problem myself, but there are 6 separate Technical Service Bulletins that cover most of the noises that you mention. The TSB's specify the fix for the dealer to do under warranty.

If you look at my TSB post from last week you can see TSB number by problems.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
For easy reference, here's a link for those who are interested in checking out the TSB's posted by SDS5.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
COLD WEATHER:confused:
noise from rear screen was like it was going to crack

also drivers door wouldnt shut due to frozen lock:eek:
had to spray de icer in it then window wasnt going up so wind noise had to open close door about 10 times to get it to seal window:confused::confused:
interesting... seems like we have found simlar flaws.

Back window screen noise in cold temps - check
door not closing - check and here is what i think...

you may find the door wont close because the window didnt drop prob because of the condensation that has froozen between the window and door thus meaning the door can not close... been happening to me nearly every morning, had to slide my credit card down to release the ice between the door and glass then the window dropped and i can close my door :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have these problem myself, but there are 6 separate Technical Service Bulletins that cover most of the noises that you mention. The TSB's specify the fix for the dealer to do under warranty.

Hope this helps
How do I go about getting these fixed? It's had a few recalls i can see from new but none of them state what was done.

Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
How do I go about getting these fixed? It's had a few recalls i can see from new but none of them state what was done.

Thanks
I am not sure how this works in the UK. In the US, Auto manufacturers are obliged to make repair information available to 3rd party repair shops, so it is possible to get repair and technical service information.

I monitor this information because, I generally do all of my maintenance and repairs myself, plus I want to know what happening with after production fixes.

Its seem reasonable to me that you could simply show you dealer the TSB list in which Audi has identified known problems and created the corresponding repairs. Ask the dealer to get the TSB , read it and act on it. Remember the TSB is official service/repair data coming from the manufacturer, so its not really up to the dealer to decide or not whether to fix a problem on the list.

Just to clarify these TSB are not recall notices.

Ask your dealer if these bullentins exist in the UK, and if so can you get the list. I am willing to bet the service information must exist also in the UK, even if its not called a TSB.

Let us know what you find out....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm getting dash creaks around the headlight area too - turning the music up doesnt help and thats not a fix anyway! I took a video of it yesterday but not sure whether its worth posting or not.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I too have a very annoying noise coming from somewhere in the cabin, I tried turning the stereo up, then down and finally off. Still the noise. So I open the window then close it, nope still there. High speed/slow speed even reverse. That damm noise is somewhere here. Wait I've found it. The stupid passenger that just never shuts up :) I'll just pull over quickly to let them out...Ahhh silence

·
Registered
677 Posts
I too have a very annoying noise coming from somewhere in the cabin, I tried turning the stereo up, then down and finally off. Still the noise. So I open the window then close it, nope still there. High speed/slow speed even reverse. That damm noise is somewhere here. Wait I've found it. The stupid passenger that just never shuts up :) I'll just pull over quickly to let them out...Ahhh silence
That is funny.

I have had creaks and rattles and noise in my car also. There is definitely one in the sunroof when it gets below freezing. Above freezing it is gone. Otherwise I would have to clean out the kids car seats and assorted junk that always shows up in the car from having kids to see if they are car related or junk related.

All it takes for me to think my car is quiet is to drive my wife's convertible MINI. Plenty of internal and external noise there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm getting dash creaks around the headlight area too
Do you mean "around the headlight SWITCH" area? If your dash is that close to your headlights, you have other problems. :D

I forget how TSB's work. Does the dealer automatically perform any applicable TSB's when you take the car in for regular service? Or only if you ask for them? (I'm not talking about safety recalls, just TSB's.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Do you mean "around the headlight SWITCH" area? If your dash is that close to your headlights, you have other problems. :D

I forget how TSB's work. Does the dealer automatically perform any applicable TSB's when you take the car in for regular service? Or only if you ask for them? (I'm not talking about safety recalls, just TSB's.)
haha. Yes you are indeed correct. But to be honest, it could be anywhere from the dashboard area, down to the headlight switch. I just cant find the exact location or panels the noises are coming from. It's like the trim is rubbing together where the panels meet because its screwed together too tight or something. Contemplating taking it back to Audi to have them look at it as its really bugging me. Everyone complements the car when they see it - but they dont know about the disappointing creek!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Squeaks and Creaks

Thanks
Not sure if this helps but had my A5 3.0 TDI in today for "squeaks and creaks" and the A pillar where the B&O speak is, had to be lubricated do to an annoying crack and bang when driving. Also the rear parcel shelf rattle , felt added to dampen, the tail gate rattle due to a clip coming loose inside and causing a very annoying rattle. Another one was the Passenger front seat rattle which was diagnosed as the clip at the top of the height adjustment handle loose and needed re-attaching... Hope this helps on many squeaks and potential rattle problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.