Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
7K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  Graham 
#1 ·
At my local dealers today and couldn't believe this ....

Ibis white, Registered June 11 with 4k miles on clock £47,537 (+ £1,000 cashback if taken before Dec 31st).
Vehicle View - Audi RS5 4.2 FSI quattro S Tronic Coupe - Crawley

So had a quick look around this evening on PH and came across this one in Misano Red with only 2,373 miles @ £45,450
West London Audi : RS5 COUPE 4.2 FSI Quattro 2dr S Tronic

Now I realise both are pretty much povety spec and not the most desirable colour however that's some seriously scary depreciation on 6 month old RS models :yikes:

TBH, I hope you're all enjoying your cars enough to not worry about it but what do the UK RS owners make of this?

#2 ·
Hi Spinner:thumbsup:
No real surprises here. Petrol at an all-time high, £80+ to fill the tank and a 4.2 litre V8 averaging 20mpg if you're lucky. If things continue in the same vain, I suspect that it will be worth about 40% of the original cost after three years. Not good, but certainly not surprising.

#3 ·
I appreciate where you're coming from AB certainly a sign of the times, however IMO 22-25% depreciation (dependant on the exact spec of the above 2 examples) after <6 months and <5k miles is pretty ludicrous by any economical standard m8.

#4 · (Edited)
Couple of comparisons against Audi's other top models ...

5 month old R8 V8 is only losing £8-10k @ £82,500 with 1k miles on the clock, which is approx 10-12% depreciation.
Vehicle View - Audi R8 4.2 quattro Coupe - Milton Keynes

5 month old TT RS although mileage unspecified (probably not verified as yet as on Audi site) £42,980 is only losing approx £5-6k (dependant on extras) or a max of 13% depreciation.
Vehicle View - Audi TT RS Coupe 2.5 T FSI (340 PS) quattro - Billingshurst

Just gives you an idea to why I thought this is shocking

#5 ·
AB's comments are pretty much spot on TBH, and whilst you did mention it, who is honestly going to spend £47K on a car without even a basic Sat Nav and AMI - someone must have been asleep when they spec'd that one, and suspect it will sit on the forecourt for some time to come.

Cheers

#6 · (Edited)
Perhaps I'm missing something here .... 10-13% depreciation on a R8 or TTRS compared to 22-25% on an RS5. I know they are different breds of car but check out the rest of the Audi R/RS range and you'll see this isn't in line with any other models, but why?

Perhaps it's just a blip on a couple of cars?
Perhaps both RS5 examples are ex-Audi Press Cars which would explain the povety spec?

#7 ·
This one has nav

Vehicle View - Audi RS5 4.2 FSI quattro S Tronic Coupe - Amersham

I feel sorry for the poor sods who traded as surely the dealer looking to make 5-10% across the bonnet on them so who knows what p/x was! Im always amazed at the difference in cars with similar spec, age, mileage etc across the dealers. Guess it depends on the deal done at the time and is it a sign of dealers wanted cash flow this time of year?

Spinner, might see you around i have family just down the road in maidenbower and bewbush so will be around your area xmas time! Theyve had that rs there for ages and ages! Was there the other week as my missus was after a an a4 tdi they had but condition was a bit ropey (leather worn on drivers seat on side bolster and dent in rear bump) and they wouldnt put right unless i paid full price (never gonna happen!!!)

One thing i was impressed with and didnt know how well they honoured is free car washing for life of car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! does this happen?

#8 ·
Certainly appreciate those 2 where more than likely the cheapest available, where as the r8 and TTRS where the only 5-6 months old examples available on Audi Approved.

In the first couple of years of the S model the Satnav vrs depreciation was a hot topic and ultimately proved to be a worthy investment in that you'd get nearly all of it's cost back at trade in time. However logically it certainly doesn't account for such a big difference.

Not surprised with that spec that it's been there a while, although it can't be that long as only registered in June, From what I've been told nearly new early RS models have always been hard to shift anyway.

If you can't tell, this isn't a bitch at RS owners, the anomaly has really got me, just can't make sense of it :no:

Re Crawley stealers, they've always looked after me to be honest. Offered to wash the car even if I just popped in for a look around but I always declined. Quite happy for them to do the interior (which they did a good job on) but not having some noddy attack the paint with a grit ridden sponge or chamois leather thank you very much ;)

Pity, I'm out the country for Xmas mate. Any other time you're around the area give me a shout, I'll happily take you out in a real 5 :p

#9 ·
This is a good point. At this time of year when people's thoughts turn to buying things other than cars, dealers are often keen to "shift metal" and turn it into cash instead - particularly if the said car has sat around for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer is actually taking a hit on it to see it gone.:)

#23 ·
Good point, soz missed this comment in the flurry of activity (nice... not seen that in a while on this forum).

How you getting on AB, I saw you've not been best pleased with with your A5 experience :( Hope life's treating you well on all other fronts!

#11 ·
Oh no, now why did you have to go and do that........:wall:

Cheers

#12 ·
Looking at the spec's I'd say you're looking at £102k tops so (20-21% depreciation) for either of those 2. That's definately more like the RS5 depreciation.

Going to have more of a look at this, if there's such a variation throughout the model range the question has to be why and also is up to 25% acceptable within 6 months?

EDIT: I supppose the last part of that question is very much individual opinion so not worth answering.

#26 ·
Hi Spinner. I'm good thanks. I'm not NOT enjoying the car, it's actually great but not quite as good as I originally expected.
You have to remember that as soon as the car leaves the dealer it loses 20% which goes straight off to the Customs and Revenue so most cars will depreciate around 30% in the first year (and some, more). It usually then slows down for consecutive years.

#13 ·
Spinner i could tell it wasnt a bitch and made me curious too. Be intresting to see other marques too if i could be bothered!(i cant, especially as question time just starting!)

Thanks for letting me know you out the country i will take the "fake" 5 for a spin on my own now!!!!:laughinatabove:

I enquired on the crawley rs in aug and it was up for 49k i think but the spec was naff so thought i wouldnt bother and spec'd my own up.

Seriously though what is wrong with a chamois? what is the correct way? As you can tell i dont wash mine as too lazy. Are you saying i shouldnt be stopping at TOAT car washing on a29 on my route up?

#17 ·
Thanks for letting me know you out the country i will take the "fake" 5 for a spin on my own now!!!!:laughinatabove:
Haha, as a said give me a shout when you're around in 2012 and we'll have a play ;)

I enquired on the crawley rs in aug and it was up for 49k i thi
Seriously though what is wrong with a chamois? what is the correct way? As you can tell i dont wash mine as too lazy. Are you saying i shouldnt be stopping at TOAT car washing on a29 on my route up?
All depends on how anal you are Danny. I've got a bit of a problem, known about it for a while but swirl free paint keeps me believing it's alright and I don't need to be visit the quacks. Mulski did a very nice write up on correct wash procedure here that'll get you started :cheers:

#15 ·
"Going to have more of a look at this, if there's such a variation throughout the model range the question has to be why and also is up to 25% acceptable within 6 months?"

time of year is a biggy in my opinion and also just look at variations across country for similar vehicles, age, spec, mileage etc - can be massive differences for same car. Guess depends how the dealer got car, what price paid, how much they want to gain/lose. Purely a guess now but also all these forecourted motors on finance are rates going up and therefore costing em more to sit there every month? see told ya question time was on!

Mulski - what?!!!!!!

#18 ·
LoL, you never give up ;)

HS and I always said we'd start looking at the Spyder when the benchmark dropped to c.£70K - wasnt expecting it to be quite so early. It's going to have to wait till the new year now though having just paid for a last minute holiday to get some sun over xmas/New Yr.

Cheers

#19 ·
Crikey theres more to standing around, having a ***, paying a tenner and watching others wash the car than i thought!

will try this at some point - i guess i shouldnt be asking bout waxes then - my guy uses a spray liquid auto g one once a week(ish) and couple of times a year they do a full polish (dont get this done every week as its another £15!!! also auto g) see told you i was lazy!

will give it a go myself in the summer i promise.

p.s im not a big fan of anal! :running:

#27 ·
Hi Matt,

The other way of looking at this is Wow, that's less than I paid for my S5! What else is out there that gives what the RS does at £46K. That's the view I took, bought a 1 yr old RS with pretty hi spec and low mileage and I'm loving it. I'm hoping that the worst of it's depreciation is done now, and it will level out like normal Audi's.

Only one problem.........It's a bit high off the ground but hopefully Ed will sort that for me!

Cheers,

#28 ·
Totally agree Graham, it's very close to what I paid for my S5. Obviously with the blower mines a keeper now otherwise definately would have been a consideration. At those prices even I'd be willing to convert to the s-tronic! Just thought it was shocking for those who'd purchased new. Remember how well our S's held value for their first 12-18 months?

Must be good advice to anyone looking at a new S5 to consider a 6-12 month, low mileage RS instead!

Anyway sounds like you got yourself a right bargin m8. I'm sure Ed can sort you out on the lowering front, H&R springs the way forward for the RS I believe ;)

#29 ·
Yes I've seen H & R are offering spring kits but I'm not sure how it affects the dynamic ride control and how difficult it is to reset the cross linked damping etc.

#30 ·
Could be wrong but I thought a few of S5 owners used H&R springs without loss of the dynamic control system.

Also think I read the Stasis springs (if they do them for the RS yet?) work. APS are Stasis's UK main dealer so that's one that Ed can follow up for you.

Might also be worth speaking to youry from Belgium who I think you recently asked him the question on one of the other RS threads but he doesn't appear to visit this forum that often. He's got KW coilovers installed on his (see here). Suggest you email him ... youry@rsquattro.com

If you get stuck give me a shout as I have a few other contacts that might be able to help you out ;)

#31 ·
Thanks Matt. I saw that guys mod list and wondered how much of the original car is left !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.