Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would agree with you about dealerships! I had big ordeal with my S5, it went in for a safety recall and came out with coolant leakage issues - they admit to any onus of the issue!

A good back street garage can do as good a job for half the cost. You are just paying for the shiny glazed, neon lit dealership rather than the technicality of motoring!

I haven't heard of failures on the 3.0tdi, I presumed we were talking about an S5 which is a dual pulley, 1 for the supercharger and 1 for the auxiliary equipment like alternator, water pump etc so has more stress put on it.

I sold my 3.0tdi last year with 115k miles and as far as I am aware still on the original pulley!?

Unfortunately if your car is over 3 years old and not under an Audi extended warranty, then they will try to wriggle out of any onus of the problem, even if a known or common issue.

It is frustrating and if you don't have the time to 'fight' then unfortunately getting it fixed yourself is the only option.

I changed my pulley on the S5 within an hour and no service position on the front end. As both cars are V6s, I think the amount of space should be similar, infact there should be slightly more on the diesel as the S5 pulley is a double pulley and twice the depth/thickness.

Good luck!

And good luck to you and your wife starting a family! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks glad this happened now as opposed to when we had started treatment.

Yes I had my own reservations regarding this particular dealership, they sold a car my father in law had put a deposit down on I thought the service side may be different, clearly not. The car came with a service plan already paid until the end of 2020 and this dealership is walking distance from work so i had little alternative.

As you say the swanky coffee and neon lighting doesn't pay for itself. It's just a shame such fantastic cars come with the hassle of having to deal with the dealership, though I'm sure they are not all bad.

Yes I think the estimate of 500-700 from my Indi was a worst case scenario, but he has seen examples of a4's and a6's who have this repair performed by Audi and then continued to throw the serpentine belt because they hadn't replaced the damaged tensioners.

I need to draw a line under it and move on. I like your upgrade path I'd love an s5/7 but I do too many miles a year.

It's not been all bad, my father in law was kind enough to lend me his s3 this week, completely different animal in terms of power delivery.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update from my independent mechanic. No damage to any other components and around 2 hours labour so pretty lucky I guess.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Good news! Even more proof to support local independent garages and not pay the extra for the shiny floor and Colombian coffee machine :p
(y)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good news! Even more proof to support local independent garages and not pay the extra for the shiny floor and Colombian coffee machine
(y)
Absolutely. And they good enough to hold on whist the rac towed it there late on a Fri night. Only reason it ever went to the dealer was it had a service plan when I bought the vehicle I work 1/2 mile from the dealership. Never again.

I've gone through the service history again and twice its been in for a clogged plenum chamber, reading between the lines looks like it spent the majority of its early life under a tree in central London, could this have caused water to run down on to the pulley and cause the rust? Indi mechanic can't see any sign of coolant loss and water pump looks fine

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I've had the blocked drain in the plenum on other cars, but not my A5 3.0TDI or my current S5.

The air filters on both always look like they've been used as a garden vac though! :)
Doubt very much the leaves etc have caused water to run down the front of the engine. As Dippy says, my pulley from the S5 could've been rusty inside under the rubber, but you can't see it. Who knows!? :) Just seems an early failure though to me.

I can't see it, but, were you running the AC? The AC will put the biggest strain or load on the pulley. But again, it shouldn't fail like that at 40k miles. How does the car look underneath? Just wondering if there are rusty bits underneath too?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah probably just a coincidence regarding the plenum chamber being blocked. Definitely one to keep an eye on though.

Air con had been on most of the 100 miles in to the journey home so probably finished the pulley off. My independent said he had a good look around and couldnt see any rust anywhere else so hopefully just isolated to the pulley , he did say he would be checking any other audis for similar deterioration to this pulley, including his mum's A7 on 173k

Car is back home complete with new pulley and 5k oil & filter change , can't believe how heavy the whole pulley is

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yep, they are heavy! Should feel how heavy the S5 double pulley is! :) The tuning pulley I've put on mine is aluminium, so much lighter. :)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
My vdamper is a lot heavier than the OE pulley.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts