Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone help plz

I have 2013 3.0tdi quattro and the crankshaft pulley has just failed the rubber damper has split and chucked its self off

Any pointers plz to replace it.

I.e. easiest access without totally taking car apart. And it looks like the bolts are spline bolts is this right..

Thanks all regards sean

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Sean old pal tell us more about yer car please!!!! Pulley replacement is not usually a major problem but you godda find out why it broke, otherwise the replacement will surely go the same way, sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If its similar to the 3.0 TFSI pulley then unfortunately the polymer is a point of failure. Most cases have been at around 80K or more but IIRC I read of one case at less than 50K. Officially the car will have to go into service position with the front out to replace it, but again if its like the 3.0 TFSI then a skilled Tech should be able to do it from underneath.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The crank pulley is dampened on most cars nowadays. The rubber perishes and the outer part of the pulley separates from inner part. Common on a lot of cars, all brands! Unless it has a solid pulley!

I fitted a new one to my S5, but this was because I was upgrading for the Supercharger. The S5 has 2 belts running off the crank pulley whereas yours will be just one.

I fitted mine without service position, just had to move the rad fan resistor pack out of the way.

The bolts are triple 5 point, think that's what they are called and not Torx!

Also, if like the S5, it will have one bolt that is offset against the rest. Why I don't know. Usually they just have a woodruff key. But it is best to mark the pulley before taking off so it makes it simple putting back on and locating the offset bolt. Should only be charged 1-2 hours by a garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts