Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone help plz

I have 2013 3.0tdi quattro and the crankshaft pulley has just failed the rubber damper has split and chucked its self off

Any pointers plz to replace it.

I.e. easiest access without totally taking car apart. And it looks like the bolts are spline bolts is this right..

Thanks all regards sean

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Sean old pal tell us more about yer car please!!!! Pulley replacement is not usually a major problem but you godda find out why it broke, otherwise the replacement will surely go the same way, sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
If its similar to the 3.0 TFSI pulley then unfortunately the polymer is a point of failure. Most cases have been at around 80K or more but IIRC I read of one case at less than 50K. Officially the car will have to go into service position with the front out to replace it, but again if its like the 3.0 TFSI then a skilled Tech should be able to do it from underneath.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The crank pulley is dampened on most cars nowadays. The rubber perishes and the outer part of the pulley separates from inner part. Common on a lot of cars, all brands! Unless it has a solid pulley!

I fitted a new one to my S5, but this was because I was upgrading for the Supercharger. The S5 has 2 belts running off the crank pulley whereas yours will be just one.

I fitted mine without service position, just had to move the rad fan resistor pack out of the way.

The bolts are triple 5 point, think that's what they are called and not Torx!

Also, if like the S5, it will have one bolt that is offset against the rest. Why I don't know. Usually they just have a woodruff key. But it is best to mark the pulley before taking off so it makes it simple putting back on and locating the offset bolt. Should only be charged 1-2 hours by a garage.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Either you can access the bolts form below but it will be a lot of touchy touchy to get to the bolts. Audi would suggest you put the car into service mode ie remove bumper, drain coolant and unbolt front panel but use a long bolt in top hole of bumper bar so it can slide forward about 6 inches or so

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Goodness guys! And when this pulley breaks can engine damage result???

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Goodness guys! And when this pulley breaks can engine damage result???
Not really, probably superficial damage to surrounding parts from belt whipping or the pulley spinning off. Nothing internally as it's not a 'timed' part, like a timing belt etc

Reactions: MrFergus

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was lucky I pulled over within a mile, temp gauge was already maxed out. You could easily do some serious damage.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
How did you realise the pulley had broke?

Any noises, or was it that the water pump wasn't being driven so started to heat up on the temp guage?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Alternator red warning light on dash that it wasn't getting power. No power steering, dashcam shutdown. Layby couldn't come soon enough

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Crikey Mikey, good to know.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm persuing this with Audi for what it's worth . I'm only on 40k, 5 year old with FASH. This calendar year I've had a major service and a gearbox service, the condition of the crankshaft pulley was not picked up.

I'd definitely recommend having this checked and replaced as preventative maintenence, I'm now faced with a £500-£700 Bill and that's dependent on anything else being significantly damaged.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Audi will likely claim that they are completely unaware of this failure, in spite of the fact that there are plenty of cases. Most are at higher mileage but I think I did read of a case somewhere in Europe with a pulley failure at less than 40K.

One of the advantages of a stage 2 tune is that we no longer have to worry about it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Audi will likely claim that they are completely unaware of this failure, in spite of the fact that there are plenty of cases. Most are at higher mileage but I think I did read of a case somewhere in Europe with a pulley failure at less than 40K.

One of the advantages of a stage 2 tune is that we no longer have to worry about it.
See I knew there was a good reason for going stage 2... Money well spent

·
Registered
17 Posts

Yeah Audi playing dumb, insisting no deterioration was found 2k miles ago, they have offered me the potential of goodwill but won't commit to a figure / percentage have to spend £150 to get the car transported to them. My independent garage has quoted £500-£700. Catch 22

I'd like to eliminate the vibrating pulley but I've no plans and no real funds for extra power.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Well obviously you could just replace the pulley with a new OE one but it would be understandable if you didn't want to do that. Most single piece pulleys are larger than the OE pulley for tuning purposes, but you might be able to find a supplier who does the OE size (162.06mm). I have a Fluidampr pulley which is OE size, with a Vdamper ring for my stage 2 (see 3.0 V6 TSI Supercharged). You could just get the 162mm Fluidampr pulley on its own. Although it is relatively expensive it has the advantage of being damped but without the problem of the OE pulley.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yeah Audi playing dumb, insisting no deterioration was found 2k miles ago, they have offered me the potential of goodwill but won't commit to a figure / percentage have to spend £150 to get the car transported to them. My independent garage has quoted £500-£700. Catch 22

I'd like to eliminate the vibrating pulley but I've no plans and no real funds for extra power.

Is yours a 2015 S5 then?

The pulley is around £200, + Labour to fit +any other needed parts that have been damaged.

I sold my OE pulley for about £40, had about 40k miles on it, but no signs of the rubber cracking or anything. No rust on it as well, yours does look quite rusty! Also the rubber has sharp edges, so to me, it looks like sudden failure rather than overtime, otherwise the rubber would be smoother contours?

How long have you had the car? Has it had the usual water pump leak? The water pump sits above this pulley and if it had a leak for a while, it could have affected the pulley!?

I remember my Dad's Rover 75 (BMW engine) with a nasty clanging noise from the bottom pulley, but luckily his only split enough for the pulley to move around rather than detach itself.

Looks like a bad design, there should be a flange or ring to prevent the 2 parts coming apart, so when the rubber fails it just looses drive and clangs about.

Also a family friend noticed his crank pulley starting to make a creaking noise, so got it changed before it failed.

End of the day, 40 k miles is not alot of miles and this is a known issue across a lot brands, but not a serviceable item, but maybe inspection should be done?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Here's mine at 8K. I'd say the visible polymer/rubber looks similar to the OP's and of course since the 2 parts are still together, it is not possible to see if the inside surfaces show any rust.

S1490036.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine is a CDUC v6 TDI. I've owned the car 16 months and it's got FASH. It had a major service in Jan (5k ago) and a gearbox oil change 2k ago in June.

Whilst I appreciate the crankshaft pulley isn't any inspectable item if audi themselves cannot detect imminent failure then whilst charging £120 per hour for the privilege the you have to question whether their inspection checklist and processes are fit for purpose. I've always thought it was chatty on start up but there is a lot going in there and I have nothing tangible to compare against.

No record of a water leak and no coolant loss, but as you point out the rust had come from somewhere.

Interesting point you make about the design, I work for a manufacturer and one of my friends is a design engineer, he concluded the same regarding the design of the pulley, I would have certainly appreciated some indication it was on its way out. Prevention is always better than a cure.

I've hit deadlock with my audi dealer and audi UK are hiding behind the dealer. I'm having the oem repair done at my independent with confidence he will do a thorough job whilst keeping my fingers crossed the damage to the other components are not too badly damaged.

I've got a lot going on, a funeral next week and my wife and I starting IVF soon, I just need the car back on the road otherwise I'd have it taken back to the dealer for inspection and fight for a 100% goodwill repair.

It's one of those things, ultimately I've lost confidence in the dealership in being able to maintain the car and their customer service has been poor, no phone call from the service manager just brief emails with no explanation.

I can go to the ombudsman but not sure its worth the effort, I'd just recommend everyone checks the condition of their crankshaft pulleys, I certainly would have if I could go back in time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts