Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2010 A5 3.2 is low on engine coolant. The warning came on yesterday. The tank is mostly empty. I've never changed the coolant. It has only around 66,000 miles on it and she drives it very gently. No antifreeze is leaking on the garage floor and the oil looks clean. No milky color at all. I've never smelled any antifreeze smell. No white smoke out of the exhaust. What to do? Add some leak stop of some type? Is that safe to do? Has anyone seen a very slow coolant level drop in their tank? Is that normal like the oil use. We have to put in some oil now between oil changes after like 5k. I'm going to pick up some antifreeze today and fill up the tank. I assume any auto parts store has compatible antifreeze for it? Would be the same stuff my 2006 S500 MB uses? My MB does not need any. Just curious. It has 70,000 miles on it and does not leak/use any.

I'm not sure if this coolant loss has happened over a long period of time or quickly. I've possibly looked at the tank at some point in the years past when I changed the oil. Can't say for sure if I have or have not. I want to assume at that mileage it would not be losing any.

Thanks!
Rodney

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would start by adding the recommended coolant up to the mark and keep a close eye on out over the next week or so.
Should really check every week or so.
I think you need G13 but please check.
Have your car pressure tested of the system to be sure.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading quite a few web pages I think this will work to top it off:

PEAK ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT TECHNOLOGY ANTIFREEZE + COOLANT for EUROPEAN VEHICLES – VIOLET is specifically engineered for use in all European vehicles requiring a VIOLET SILICATE-ENHANCED OAT extended life antifreeze + coolant:

• Audi: 2006 and up

So I'll buy a gallon today and put some in. We will check the level every day for a while to see what is happening. If it goes down very little I'll probably just keep adding some occasionally. I'll look around to see if it is weeping out somewhere.

Thanks
Rodney

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Rodney mate, in my opinion not too worrying. A little coolant water will often leak or evaporate over time so I would top her up and then check the level weekly. If it had blown it all out then you would have seen steam and also the water temp would surely have risen. The water caps can perish, try replacing that???

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We bought and added some correct coolant. Brought it back up to the cold full line. We have been checking it everyday and it is staying at that level. We check it in the morning when it is 100% cooled. So for now I'm not worrying about it too much. Hard part now is checking every week or so instead of every day. I like checking it everyday. Knowing me I'll keep checking it everyday for a while. In time I'll get tired of doing that and I'll check it maybe once a month or so. It uses some oil so I check the oil once a month or so.

Possibly it has been going down over the last 10+ years and I never noticed it. Generally I look at that when we do oil changes etc. Looking to sell it in maybe 2 years. Maybe we can make it 2 more years.

Thanks
Rodney

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. I marked the level when we added fluid and it is staying at that level. So I'm guessing it looses a very small amount and it went down over the last 10 years and I never noticed it.

Rodney

1 - 6 of 6 Posts