Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2011 A5c has developed a separation of the window from the cloth 4 months ago. The car is 4 years and 3 months old with only 37K miles on it. The car is garage kept and kept under a covered parking at work. The dealership is telling me that it's going to be $8,500K out of pocket since the car is barely out of warranty.

The car has been in a repair shop late last year for a quarter panel replacement. I sensed that there was something wrong with the top after that -- the pop out storage box refused to stay put and the folding of the top was odd.

Here is what I am hoping I can get your advice on:

So how do I know if the job done in the body shop was done right?

The shop is affiliated with the dealership so I have a sad feeling that I might not get a neutral answer from them. So far what they told me is that they have to take the entire top apart to see if the mounting is correct (I believe that) but that I definitely need a new top and it's very difficult to say if the issue was caused by the quarter panel replacement.

Should I just kiss 9 grand goodbye (8.5 for the to and 500 for a decent bottle of scotch to make the pain easier?). How would you tackle the situation?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd call Audi customer relations and tell them the situation, Audi should cover it IMO.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Re-posted from Audizine

I have a 2011 S5 Convertible just spent the weekend re-gluing the back window.

Originally I took the car to a convertible top repair place, he took a look at it and said I had to replace the top only they don't make aftermarket tops from Germany
like they do for the 2008 and older.

I was quoted 8k from the dealer.

Went online and researched discovered not when but eventually ALL glass windowed convertible tops will fail some sooner than others.
Audi TT's are notorious for this issue.

I contribute my failure to non use of the car and it sitting on a hot sunny street day in and day out. Noticed the fabric started pulling away from the window.
Took the car to the repair place and that was a no go...then the rains started and the problem got worse.

From my research the top glue to use is "RHINO Glue" don't try any others although some people have had luck with different stuff.
But me I chose to use what the Corvette forum chose to use overwhelmingly and stated with out a doubt it works.

here is the link to how someone did it but on the Audi I did it a little different after trial and error I used 4 inch c clamps and wood to clamp the fabric to the window.

I am usually a good do it yourselfer but I was anxious and hesitant. I thought the glue was like crazy glue which it is except it is crazy glue on steroids with one exception it does not set as fast a crazy glue.
So that was my only mistake trying to tack it down with hand strength. Use "CLAMPS" doing it by hand I got about 6 to 7 inches done in 2 very hot hours working in the sun. covered the window with plastic to attack it
the next day this time I got the whole window done in 2 hours now the car is sitting with the back half covered in plastic curing for 3 days before I let the top down.

Here is the corvette forum how too
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...efasten-3.html

Here are the Amazon reviews as you will see the first review is for a VAG Group Beetle and the top has stayed glued for 2 years
Rhino Glue Ultra Kit - - Amazon.com

When I have a chance I will post some before and after pictures the top was in bad shape for a 2011 now it does not look perfect but it is tacked down to the glass good and tight.
I do have to do a little scraping with a razor and acetone to clean up some shaky handed over glue but over all I am happy with the results.

Next up I have to re-glue the inner head liner to the rear window as that came loose to and it won't go back in the u channel and I can't find instructions on how to do it so i am
going to glue it as well because if this does not hold I am going to need a new top anyway so I might as well try it.

Good luck and I hope my experience helps someone else. I am sort of disappointed with Audi as it seems a very common issue with the 2008 and older cars.
And Audi still has not gotten the glue thing down as apparent with my issue. Not everyone has a temperature controlled garage in which to house their car.
But in the overall scheme of things most glass windowed convertibles have the problem so it is not just me.

Attachments

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here is the finished product.
I still have to scrape the glue I was thinking about a small wood chisel since I do not want to cut the fabric by accident with a razor.

The top is totally sealed not leaks no gaps.
Not bad for my first time attempting something like this saved me 8k if it holds like they said it will.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amazing advice. Thanks!!! This is gold.

As for my woes -- I managed to convince the dealership and Audi that 4 years and 4 months / 37K is little too soon. Dealer swears that this had nothing to do with the quarter panel replacement. Ended up paying part out of pocket while the rest was repaired under warranty. I will say that this has given my view of Audi service much better note than how i see the quality of Audi products. In the end the entire top including the headliner was replaced (and the fabric look little different than the original one -- looks like there was some kind of update??) but it definitely looks nice.

To add more to the problem as the dealer was looking at the old top, the linkage managed to break. Apparently the window separation caused also roof liner to get damaged as well. Oh and if that wasn't enough the storage box refuses to stay in the up position which now requires a replacement of the convertible top storage box. SIGH. Pretty poor quality record if you ask me - 4 years into ownership and the repairs are roughly half the value of the car.

Thank you all for the replies - and here are some of my lessons learned from the ordeal:

- INSPECT THE WINDOW FREQUENTLY. If you can solve the issue in early stages you will save yourself pretty penny.
- Try the above method - what do you have to lose?
- Treat the top with care. Convertible tops will require much much much more care.
- Park your car in so that the top is shielded from weather elements to prolong its life.
- Drop the top with some frequency - having it up the entire time is not the most ideal situation for the opening mechanism and linkage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dealer quote in Atlanta, GA was $5500 so still too expensive. Seems it is happening a lot according to the dealer, and new tops differ but I dont see how they will hold either, probably just enough to get them out of warrantee. I would think a rivet solution could be developed but too late now. Mine is 9 months out of warranteee and dealer who has generally been good about issues wouldn't go for it. So

Ordered the glue, and will be trying your approach on my 2011 A5 Cab in the next couple of weeks
Thanks for the pics and details, problem looks identical, I hope I can be as successful, the end result looked great.

A few questions if I might?
My top has a couple spots inch or two along the bottom edge that are still holding should I open them as much as the rest which is about 1/4 inch open and do at once or leave it?
I assume you opened the top to allow the C clamps to press a board on top and bottom? any pics while clamped? any issue with the 4 inch c clamp fitting?
Did you do the whole lip at once with 1 piece of wood and multiple clamps or just work across with several pieces of wood and 1 clamp at a time?
Did you prop like what they did at the corvette site or do anything to keep the overall top from moving while propped open?
I saw some suction clamps that are designed for car windshield and or convertible tops but was not sure the would hold? any attempts with those?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KLEYPEM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3BUJ4ZPESQSK2

Any other advice on cleaning or prep?

Sorry for all the questions just hoping to learn from someone who clearly got it right.

Thanks in Advance...
mj_remote 2011 A5 Cab

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ok so I got the recommended glue (last one at amazon, I hope they order more as I am sure this is going to happen to anyone with this car sooner or later). Also got some deep C-clamps. Hoping to get a nice weekend to try this in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Found one more useful page
Props for Rhino Glue top glass corner repair
showing another way, I like the sandbags for support and good to see a way of clamping in case the extra deep C-clamps dont work. Styrofoam is also interesting as it may actually help with cleanup as wood may get stuck.

I plan to use some painters tape on the glass just above where the top attaches to aid with removal as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I'm joining the crowd! my 2010 A5 Cab's rear window has come unglued! I was driving on the highway and thought a window was open or something! too much noise! anyway it was the rear glass.
Went to my dealer and was quoted $6000!! I declined and they offered to eat some of the cost and replace it for $2500! Pretty good deal, but I thought I'd try the rhino first... Hopefully it turns out as well as it did for you guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did it work?

Hi guys, I am curious to see if the Rhino Glue withstand long enough or not. Please let me know if it is worth to apply it to my Red one or not.
Thanks 0:)
Kara

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can tell you the Rhino glue worked great!! for about a year then started to fail... I reapplied to the sections that were failing and good so far.

But looks like this is not a permanent solution, :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I am curious to see if the Rhino Glue withstand long enough or not. Please let me know if it is worth to apply it to my Red one or not.
Thanks 0:)
Kara
rhino glue worked excellently on my 2007 audi. used suction cup clamps. saved a bundle. neil (washington, d.c.)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rhino Glue bought me about 18 mo. before I saw minor degradation and it was not perfect due to the difficulty in getting an even press all the way around even with many C clamps and experimenting with different thicknesses of wood to span the gaps. In the 18 mo though I was able to find someone here local in Atlanta that could replace the top (saving the liner cost with a stitching job that looks incredible and will make the liner last longer than a new solution) and do so for about half the price the Audi Dealer was quoting. There was also the option of 1 yr or 5 yr warranty on the equipment in addition to the 1 ur on the workmanship to decide on based on the top supplier. It works out to either $3500 or 4500 depending on which you choose and if you want a new liner that is another $800 or so. I used the Rhino glue to basically keep it from getting worse while I saved enough over the 18 months to have it done very well. For anyone in the southeast US who wants the information I can give you the contact information or just look up Complete Interior Vijay Drive Atlanta...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got 18 mo out of the Rhino Glue

I got 18 mo out of the Rhino Glue before I concluded I wanted a better result.
Why?
Initially the outside all along the bottom side of the glass had come undone, so I only fixed that.
The results were with a lot of dry fit planning and two people to do it actually very nice and functional but looking closely there was evidence that it had been done and it always nagged at me, so I decided to use the time I was buying to save for a new top and price the best option.

After about a year I notice the outside top would also have to be done eventually, saw a 3 inch wide separation starting just next to the top corner. (I did another quick fix but it was not quite as good because the C clamps only work well for the bottom or sides).

After that at about 16-17 mo. I noticed that the inside glass also was starting to show separation, and I decided I had enough in part because I found a local solution to bypass the dealer and have a custom restoration person do the job.

1 year workmanship, 5 years on Parts (1 Yr parts was available also for about $900 less) Total cost was $4500.
He was able to reuse and stitch the headliner and I think it looks even better than the original, with the benefit that I wont ever have to address the headliner which is also a problem on these tops.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MJ-Remote - I am right down the street from you in Roswell, GA and am having headliner sagging - a somewhat similar problem. I would PM you to get some direct advice but I dont have enough posts yet (need 15) to be able to PM. I am going to be trying to add some posts over the next day or so in order to get to this point. I look to get in touch with you soon. I have become very frustrated with our local Audi dealers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As I included in my edit here is where I would take it...
Highly recommend the work. Gary, Complete Interiors, Vijay Drive, Atlanta. 770.451.3914

1 - 20 of 22 Posts