Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm a newbie to this site and it's lingo and audi's in general. Could someone please explain to me terms like VAG, B&O, MMI, DRL, and other words terms you guys use:confused:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not trying to sound sarcastic but have you gone to audi.com yet?
yes lol is there a section where they explain all this to you. I havent really been around the site too much most of the time i just check out the models or have fun with configurator.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've been spending way too much time on here lately, but since I'm here now and no one else has answered your questions yet, I will do my best.

B&O = Bang & Olufsen stereo (optional upgrade)
MMI = Multi Media Interface (for navigation, stereo, phone, car set up...)
DRL = Daytime Running Lights (the strip of LEDs under the headlights)

I'll leave VAG for someone else to define. I have a general idea, but I'm still confused about that one.

Have fun -- this is a great forum! (And it's a great car;))

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Agreed on the B&O, DRL and MMI as above. DRL of course means any daytime running lights in general (separate lights in the front light fixture that are used during daytime hours instead of the main headlights to save energy and spare the main headlights from unnecessary wear), on the A5 these of course usually refers to the LED strips that come with the Xenon lights, but the halogen front lights also have a version of DRL that uses, I believe two per side, regular bulbs.

VAG usually means the Volkswagen Audi Group (V.A.G. = VAG) or in general the whole group of car brands that belong to it (Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini...). There are forums and enthusiasts that cover/hover around all the VAG group car brands since they have many similarities, someone who likes Volkswagen might find a familiar premium upgrade in an Audi and so on...

You might also hear of VAG COM which means a cable (and related VCDS software by Ross-Tech see ross-tech.com) that you use to connect to your car (via its diagnostics port) to your laptop and can get error logs and change hidden car settings with, much like a maintenance shop computer would.

More on what the MMI stands for in this article:

Will the real MMI please stand up? Difference between standard radio Concert/Symphony and the optional DVD navigation's MMI controls in B8 platform Audi A4 and A5
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5realmmi.html

I don't know what other words you are thinking about, I guess few, although maybe a bit more obscure ones, that come to mind from the top of the hat are ACC (adaptive cruise control, radar based cruise control that adjusts the speed according to car in front), ADS (Audi Drive Select, an optional feature in A5 and some other Audis that allows you to change steering and dampening characteristics) and APS (Audi Parking System, sometimes with suffixes like Plus and Advanced depending on equipment level, refers to the various levels of parking help in Audi cars like optional front and rear acoustic parking sensors and rear-view camera).

The Audi.com glossary might be useful for you, it explains many Audi concepts:

http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/tools/glossary.html

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i went to the dealership, they had to get S5 i was looking at from another lot, and when it turned on to the street of the dealership at an intersection, when the blinkers when on the drl's turned off. at first i thought it was broken but then i realized it's probably some BS safety feature. Is there anywhere to turn that off through a VAG COM Or Through the MMI. Hey im starting to sound like i actually know what im talking about lol

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
loc: VAG, of course -- why didn't I realize that?! Actually, I was thinking of VAG-COM, so thank you for that description. I'm glad I understand it better now, but I'm not sure I will feel confident enough to start messing around with the settings on my car. Who knows what I might end up doing (unintentionally)!

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes lol is there a section where they explain all this to you. I havent really been around the site too much most of the time i just check out the models or have fun with configurator.
Sorry it took so long to get back and it looks like you got some great help. loc provided fantastic info and the link to the glossary on audi.com. It is great for looking up something you do no know. Would not have helped with VAG COM though. Have to get cool stuff like that from the deep knowledge held by some on this forum. It is amazing how much you learn from hanging out here.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Also be aware that this is a multi-national forum ... certainly plenty of Brits on here and all the other guys from Europe seem to write such good English that they're hard to tell apart.

You guys in the US get your cars for a fraction of what most of the rest of the world pays but on the other hand we get a much greater choice of options.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another thing. ugh i'm probably embarrassing myself right now. what's a clear bra? Also, I know Nothing about wheels, i've never purchased aftermarket wheels in my life. So what are some things i need to know when purchasing aftermarket wheels. What are offsets, and what does staggered mean?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
would getting 20 in. wheels and lowering the car 1 in. affect the performance at all besides making the ride a little less smooth?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.