Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking through the threads on this site, I am beginning to feel that I am the only one who has ordered a car with the standard Radio/CD. I have ordered the AMI, which as far as I am concerned will enable me to carry as much music as I can possibly listen to for the three years of my ownership, even at 25000 miles per year. I get the distinct impression that there is a large element of "mine's bigger than yours", particularly when you read some of the emotional threads regarding "In-Car Entertainment". I could not possibly justify nearly £2000 for something which I am ultimately going to give to someone else. Is there anyone out there that has "just" the standard setup with AMI, and how do you get on with it? I am beginning to feel a little inadequate that I won't have enough buttons surrounding my gearstick! Bring it on........:doublemachinegun:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming your talking about the Sat Nav then?/
Yes, the whole MMI thing. I can buy an excellent portable sat-nav which works my mobile phone for under £300. I just can't get my head around the "how many tunes can I store?" argument.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I just can't get my head around the "how many tunes can I store?" argument.
LOL, that's actually funny, I must have missed that one and i'm on the forum all the time.

I have the sat nav and the ipod connection and to be honest i'm still using the 6 CD changer for all my music as it read MP3 CDs anyway. I use the ipod connection to charger my iphone and that's it.

With regards to the Sat Nav and it's price, it is expensive for what it is but after having the portable one in my A4 and it pissing me off for a number of reasons I decided this time I would get it built into the car.

Few benefits for me is:-

1. No having to take it on and off everytime I need it.
2. Cleaning the mark of the window after sticking it there, just incase some thieving git decides to have a nosy ti see if I have one then smash my window for it.
3. Having used a few different portables now, it definitely doesn't think on it's toes as fast as the in built one in the car, guess the car sat nav has more processing power.
4. Sometimes the portable one takes ages for it to find it's current location - maybe the newer ones are better now.
5. Hate the wire trailing in the car and having to charge the damn thing if I don't want the wire there.

Few downsides of the one in the car:-

It costs £2000.

If you ask me, if you find using a portable does the job for you then I would just get that, it's not like anyone is going to say oh look he has an A5 and no sat nav. The car cost a packet in the first place and manufactures should have sat nav standard these days instead of a hefty £2k option.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car cost a packet in the first place and manufactures should have sat nav standard these days instead of a hefty £2k option.[/QUOTE]

At last, some common sense. I can see the benefit of the built-in sat-nav, I have it in my current car, but the portable ones are so good nowadays it's very hard to justify the price tag. Also, the in-built ones often need a driver disc, which is obsolete the moment they produce it due to the new roads etc. The disc for the one in my car is £120, just for the update, will still miss the buttons though........:)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sat-nav aside, I can find little functional difference between the MMI and the Audi Infotainment System, although there are more options on the MMI. The nav system is very good though and if you have B&O you lose some features of it by not having MMI. Also in favour of the MMI is the location of the controls, the buttons are much easier to use with the MMI as you don't have to reach accross to the dash.

One distinct advantage, I find, that the AIS has over the MMI is that the MMI takes ages to change from screen to screen and seems to fade in and out with great lag, whereas the AIS changes the instant you press the button. I gather that the two systems are miles apart in their design.

If you find one of loc's posts and look for the link in his signature you will find a great article on the difference between the MMI and the AIS, very informative.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just have the standard system and use 4gb SD cards for my music. Works very well. I think the sound quality is excellent with more than enough distortion free volume

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey Ageing Biker, you are not alone ! I have " just " the standard radio/CD with AMI. I like it a lot. The AMI works really well with my iphone. My teenage kids love it because they can plug their music in as well. You can control all your music from the steering wheel and for me the quality of sound is more than adequate. Whilst driving there are obviously a lot of noises generated by the car and the road and other traffic so for me spending more money on the B&O system seemed pointless. I only have an 8gb iphone, which holds enough music for me but you can easily put a big hard drive in the glove box if you need more storage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've not ordered MMI on mine either. I did ponder it, because of resale values, and the rather bare looking panel you get behind the gearstick without MMI, but in the end I really couldn't bring myself to spend two grand just to move the contol knob off the dashboard. I'd rarely use the satnav anyway, plus I've got a TomTom. I just thought there's better ways of spending £2000 - a big new TV sprang to mind. I have gone for AMI though as I quite like the idea of having all my music available in the car.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
When I bought mine, the nav option was £1975 but included the 6 CD and of course the placement of the buttons. The 6 CD was £265. There were no SD card slots then. So, the net cost was £1710. I will get about £1000 back on resale as non sat nav cars have a lower second hand value. So, in reality its not that expensive.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have nav/mmi/ami and u have to say I love it!!
I used a tom tom before this car and when it's up & runnin, it's better than the Audi system...
BUT...
The 3g mmi looks fantastic.
It's fast...very fast ! Nvidia graphics chipand hard disk based nav means it zings along!!
I looked at buying a 2nd hand a5 at one point...I didn't even consider non-sat nav cars...so for re-saleability...it's a must have IMO

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I bought mine, the nav option was £1975k but included the 6 CD and of course the placement of the buttons. The 6 CD was £265. There were no SD card slots then. So, the net cost was £1710. I will get about £1000 back on resale as non sat nav cars have a lower second hand value. So, in reality its not that expensive.
Good point if you actually own the car. While I have the opportunity to buy it at the end of the contract, it will most likely go back so residual value is almost irrelevant. Also, I would like you to try to convince a leasing company that they should be setting a residual value higher by £1000 if the car has the sat-nav!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly what doubledoom said. The resale value of A5/S5 without sat nav, is a lot less, so if you get it installed, you will still be getting some of that money back when its time to resell.
Like I said above, only if you own it outright. Also, it doesn't necessarily add to the value, which is heavily influenced by market conditions (as we are all finding out now), but it does make the car more DESIRABLE than a similar car without it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good to see that there are others out there with an appreciation of what a waste of £2000 the MMI is. I must admit, I was expecting a bit more of a backlash from the ICE geeks out there...........!:argue:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good to see that there are others out there with an appreciation of what a waste of £2000 the MMI is. I must admit, I was expecting a bit more of a backlash from the ICE geeks out there...........!:argue:
It might be a waste of your money, but it's not a waste of mine. I love the system and am delighted I specified it. It is always the way that we have different tastes. One of the things I like about this forum is that mostly people respect each other's choices and leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It might be a waste of your money, but it's not a waste of mine. I love the system and am delighted I specified it. It is always the way that we have different tastes. One of the things I like about this forum is that mostly people respect each other's choices and leave it at that.
It wasn't the choice that I was questioning. We are all free to spend the money that we earn in whichever way we please. Clearly in your case you consider this the way you want to spend yours, and I respect that. Going back to the original thread, I just don't understand the need/desire to carry 10000 tunes around with you in your car. If that is what you want to do, then it is up to you, but I equally have the right to express my opinion and that is what I have done. It would appear that there are some on the forum who agree with me, and others who don't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It would be a boring old world if we all agreed on everything.:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just have the standard system and use 4gb SD cards for my music. Works very well. I think the sound quality is excellent with more than enough distortion free volume
+1

I also have a TomTom for £80 that I bought 6 months ago and has the traffic receiver too which is definately better value for money than a £2k option. Even if it was £300 I'd personally still find it hard to justify.

So no buttons round the gearstick here, but I having got more used to the car recently, I actually prefer the controls on the centre console rather than mounted lower down as I find it easier to play with! I even use the controls on the console more than the steering wheel (for volume / track). Just personal preference of course.

:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.