Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month/ 6 weeks or so ago, a few UK members reported that they had received up to £500 compensation from their dealers because of late delivery.
What is the latest?
Are people still getting compensation? and if so how much?
My A5 is late and I am wondering how hard to push!!!

Thanks for any updates

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hmm . . .

A bit of a difficult one. Firstly, I very much doub't that Audi UK, or any of their franchised dealers would be offering any "compensation". What has probably happened is some kind of "goodwill guesture".

In all honesty, the supply of motor cars, to any dealer, is completely beyond their control, and quite simply down to the factory which builds them. The factory may have suffered some kind of industrial action, lack of supply of parts from one of their contractors, suffered minor quality control issues - indeed, anything. I'm sure you would much rather your car is built perfectly, even if that means a slight delay, rather than being rushed out with faults (like what used to come out of Longbridge, and still comes out of France [with the exception of a certain "EB" car ;) ]).

Regarding the specific issue of any potential payments to customers awaing delivery, be that "compensation" or "goodwill" - then a number of issues and options need to be assessed.

Firstly, "compensation" can only be considered when an official "breach of contract" has occured. This could happen in a number of ways. When you negociated, and signed the "contract of new car sale", if you specifically stated something like "delivery on the 1st September 2007" - then that is very unambiguous - if you don't have the car, a breach of contract has occured. If you discussed something like "I'd like it sometime in September, ideally the first" - then they still have three days, even if it went into October or November, it would be difficult to prove breach of contract. Another scenario would be something like "I will ONLY sign this contract of sale, if you guarantee my new A5 is the first one in Warwickshire (or wherever you happen to live)". If you then see another A5 driving around, and it is a "customer" car, rather than a demonstrator, then a breach of contract has occured.

On those instances where no breach of contract occured, then ONLY a "goodwill guesture" would be considered. Speak to your supplying stealer, putting them on notice that the car is delayed, and you are "considering your options". Also, contact Audi UK Customer Services, and state the same.

For what it's worth, I got a "goodwill guesture" from Audi UK, without any kind of request, when my RS4 was delayed, even though, both the dealer and myself didn't even consider it had been delayed! :cool:

HTH

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had the dealer on the phone,Audi UK are giving me the money for the delay in getting me the A5 I ordered in April. Still not sure when it will be delivered,poss 1st week in September??
offered compensation,but still no date for delivery.becoming a joke!:confused: :confused: :confused:
I too have been offered £500 compensation.

Thanks for detailed response Teutonic Tamer
I fully understand and agree your legal logic, and I obvilously should have used "Goodwill" instead of "compensation" in my post. However, the comments which led me to ask the question are from oldish posts -as quoted above, and I just wanted to know if other people were getting "Goodwill" discounts / payments since then, and how prevalent (or rare) these are. As it happens I have just had word that I can pick my car up tomrrow morning, so after much frustration, no issue for me NOW (although I did think it was going to be this morning as my blood was boiling and blood pressure was rising fast!!!- How things change).
It would still be useful I think for other memebers of the forum to know what, if anything people have received!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recieved my car yesterday, week 27 build. I was advised that Audi UK would be making a goodwill payment of £ 500.00, however I'm still waiting for that to arrive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ian, thanks for clarifying any confusion, and enjoy your new car! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts