Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my previous Audis which had an RNS-E, the present compass direction and street name was available in the DIS even if Navigation Route Guidance was not active. I found it very useful to sometimes know the name of the present street or direction even if not navigating. This feature was enabled/disabled using the Compass checkbox on the Setup screen of the Navigation mode.

I could not find the Compass checkbox in the Navigation Setup screen on the MMI system, and the street name does not appear on the DIS unless Route Guidance is active.

Does anyone know if the Compass (more for the street name) feature is available on the MMI Nav units, perhaps via a VAGCOM / VCDS setting somewhere?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
In my previous Audis which had an RNS-E, the present compass direction and street name was available in the DIS even if Navigation Route Guidance was not active.
Are you sure? My wife has RNS-E (latest version with the non LED DIS). That doesnt show the information in the DIS (road names it does when nav has a route selected on but not compass). The compass does appear on the larger screen though.

I could not find the Compass checkbox in the Navigation Setup screen on the MMI system, and the street name does not appear on the DIS unless Route Guidance is active.
There is an option to turn the compass on/off for the MMI but not the DIS. There is no option to turn the DIS information on though when no route is keyed in.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure? My wife has RNS-E (latest version with the non LED DIS). That doesnt show the information in the DIS (road names it does when nav has a route selected on but not compass). The compass does appear on the larger screen though.
Absolutely sure. An A4 Cab with red DIS showed it, and the more recent one year old 2007 A4 Saloon with MultiColour DIS also showed it.

There is an option to turn the compass on/off for the MMI but not the DIS. There is no option to turn the DIS information on though when no route is keyed in.
Thats what I have discovered, was hoping there was a way to get it to work as before.

They are so quick to announce the advantages of the newer versions, wish they would disclose the downgraded features instead of disappointing us!:confused:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts