Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there were any common problems beginning to emerge with A5's, now they've been out half a year.

Mine is due in to the dealers next week to get the keyless entry fixed- half the time it fails to recognise me. (When the problem was diagnosed the dealer said that there were 3 door sensors on back order from Germany, which suggests I'm not the only one)

The other problem is with the TCM, which fails to recognise motorways. (This has been a common gotcha on A4s and A6s and cured with a new DVD. Interestingly, Audi UK refuse to cover this on warranty, even though the problem was there from new and it took mentions of the press, and words like 'sale of goods act' for the dealer to offer to pay for this out of their own money- something they should not be put in the position to have to do, as Audi know they have a problem with this)

Sounds like a big winge, but I'm actually delighted with the car and rate it as the best all-round car I've had- last seven cars being a Prodrive Imprezza, 2x A6 Quattro Sports, an S6, an RS6 and lastly a D3 S8.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Your Key problem and the failings of the NAV seem to be common problems/gripes... hence why I steer clear of electronic wotnots when speccing my cars! ...More to go wrong and more to frustrate... Did you know that over 90% of failures in cars today are electronic?

The other problem I've noticed is that rear window doesn't like having an aftermarket tint applied... during this process, water gets into the Amps for the sound system and destroys them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a problem with keyless also..... but i think mine is a keyfob problem not sensor, as the spare key works fine.....

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
hehe dont get me started with the keyless entry system but mine is a blonde issue not a car issue.

hope you get it sorted mate x

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Advanced key is a common fault. Replacement sensors soon fix that.
Missing cargo net is common (when you order storage pack you should get it)
A few LEDs have gone as well.

BTW, the car has been available for a year now, not half a year.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Advanced key is a common fault. Replacement sensors soon fix that.
Missing cargo net is common (when you order storage pack you should get it)
A few LEDs have gone as well.

BTW, the car has been available for a year now, not half a year.
Its not quite a year yet the car wasnt released in the uk until july.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Common Problems, YES!

I'm not sure whether the European market A5 has the same Owner's Manuals as the US cars, but, man, are the state's full of mistakes. There are words missing, directions given incorrectly and more. The MMI manual is even worse. Illustrations with the incorrect titles above the listings appear a number of times. Not to mention the difficulty understanding the simplest of explanations.

Someday if I ever grow up, I'm going to try to educate all the writers of most manuals. That is except the Japanese manuals, those are so amusing it is a ball trying to read translations from Japanese to English.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The other problem is with the TCM, which fails to recognise motorways. (This has been a common gotcha on A4s and A6s and cured with a new DVD. Interestingly, Audi UK refuse to cover this on warranty, even though the problem was there from new and it took mentions of the press, and words like 'sale of goods act' for the dealer to offer to pay for this out of their own money- something they should not be put in the position to have to do, as Audi know they have a problem with this)
Are you saying categorically that all A/S5's with Sat Nav have a problem? I've driven on M-ways and the TMC has worked fine.

Simon

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you saying categorically that all A/S5's with Sat Nav have a problem? I've driven on M-ways and the TMC has worked fine.

Simon
It's a known software glitch with 2007 A4s and A6s- cured with a 2008 DVD. Never had the problem with my S8, but I'd already heard about it before I got my A5 and wondered if I was the only one whose A5 is playing silly burgers. Dealers are very reluctant to admit the problem, as Audi aren't funding this on warranty and a new disc costs them over £200.

TMC should sort motorway problems first (mine doesn't even give the name of the motorway!) and if you've a route planned in, prioritise problems along and close to your route before listing those miles away from you, which mine doesn't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes the 2008 cdrom resolves the tmc missing icon and there is also a sw mmi most ring update avaliable for a5 and b8 a4.It appears you may have dealt with me over this kev.Best regards a8;)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
doubledoom - I've ordered the storage pack for my Car, what part is the cargo net so I know what to look out for, or not as the case may be??? :confused:
With the storage pack you get four hooks in each corner (not in the very corner, in a few inches). You should then be given a cargo net which attaches to those four hooks. The idea being that it can tie down items to stop them moving around in the boot. There was a picture showing it in the UK spec guide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Whistle noise coming fro Air Conditioning Vent

Before I contact the dealer, has anyone notice that when the blower is set to 3+ the front vent on the dash whistles? If I turn it down to 2 it stops...It's not really loud but it is noticeable and slightly annoying.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
doubledoom - I've ordered the storage pack for my Car, what part is the cargo net so I know what to look out for, or not as the case may be??? :confused:
With the storage pack you get four hooks in each corner (not in the very corner, in a few inches). You should then be given a cargo net which attaches to those four hooks. The idea being that it can tie down items to stop them moving around in the boot. There was a picture showing it in the UK spec guide.
Billy FWIW, you can see a pic of my cargo net in use here. This should give you an idea on the placement of the hooks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The only thing I've found as a problem thus far is the top edge window seals, which can be a bit weak when washing the car (have seen a few drips on the inside of the windows). Nothing major but be careful where you aim the bucket of water!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.