Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post.

I have my S5 on order which is awaiting shipping. One of the problems I first had when ordering was colour choice having originally gone for Meteor grey on the asumption that it was the same as the porsche colour. Having lost my nerve I changed it to Silver with Silver interior. discussions with my wife and the dealer suggested I was making a terrible choice and suggested a dark exterior colour so back I went to meteor grey.

The problem I have now is that I feel I may have made a bad choice, the car is already bulit so cant change my mind just looking for reassurance. The only time I had seen the colour was a sample at the dealers after placing the order which looked Ok as a dark mettalic. The pictures on the various web sites seem to make this colour look different dependant on the lighting conditions. I caught a glimpse of what I assume was a meteor grey S5 passing an audi dealer yesterday and it looked like a very flat, bland colour compared with the porsche equivilant. almost to the point where I would considere it in the same league as the old TT colour nimbus (Primer) grey.

Anyone sene the colour in real life up close care to comment.

Thanks

E

·
0 Posts
Hi everyone, first post.

I have my S5 on order which is awaiting shipping. One of the problems I first had when ordering was colour choice having originally gone for Meteor grey on the asumption that it was the same as the porsche colour. Having lost my nerve I changed it to Silver with Silver interior. discussions with my wife and the dealer suggested I was making a terrible choice and suggested a dark exterior colour so back I went to meteor grey.

The problem I have now is that I feel I may have made a bad choice, the car is already bulit so cant change my mind just looking for reassurance. The only time I had seen the colour was a sample at the dealers after placing the order which looked Ok as a dark mettalic. The pictures on the various web sites seem to make this colour look different dependant on the lighting conditions. I caught a glimpse of what I assume was a meteor grey S5 passing an audi dealer yesterday and it looked like a very flat, bland colour compared with the porsche equivilant. almost to the point where I would considere it in the same league as the old TT colour nimbus (Primer) grey.

Thanks
Check out the pics in this thread. It says the car is meteor grey. For what its worth, i don't think silver will prove to be a good colour for this car.

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/awesome-58/index.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Still not sure about the colour, always been nervous of dark colour cars due to dirt and scratches.

Besides its to late to change my mind now the car is already built.:rolleyes:

E

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Still not sure about the colour, always been nervous of dark colour cars due to dirt and scratches.

Besides its to late to change my mind now the car is already built.:rolleyes:
I went for the darkest, black :D

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have had black before. Too many swirls, too hard to keep clean.

I live on the edge of farms and suburbia. Lots of mud on the roads all the time. Gravel dust is also a problem in a few areas. (just in my 3 mile daily commute)

I am going for Meteor Gray w/ Magma.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of having common colors. I LOVE to have a car that I can smile every time I look at. I'm going for the Sprint Blue Perlescent (drool) with Mustang Brown interior. I know anyone who sees my car will be floored by it's looks!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of having common colors. I LOVE to have a car that I can smile every time I look at. I'm going for the Sprint Blue Perlescent (drool) with Mustang Brown interior. I know anyone who sees my car will be floored by it's looks!
Sprint Blue will be awesome. It is my second choice and very similar to my current car color.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi everyone, first post.

Thanks
I have Meteor Grey and you can see the pics posted. It DOES change with the lighting and on a drab day it looks Grey and in the sunshing it has a tint of blue. Everyone has said how good it looks in this colour and with an immediate coat of deep gloss wax (Autoglym), it reflects the light superbly. I would have gone for Silver inside but with 2 youngsters sometimes in the rear, it didn't seem a wise choice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mad Max, my fears have been calmed slightly.

There is a meteor grey at our local dealer which I will be checking over the weekend. my car is still sat as do many others at the QC stage 7 stage and has been there for the last two weeks.

The dealer is ceratinly very complimentary of the car but then I guess he would be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my a5 as also been sat at Q7stage for last two and half weeks,was informed today by my dealer that they are struggling to get them to the docks because of a rail strike,if it takes much longer i think i will wait for 57 plate

·
Registered
487 Posts
I'm also really interested in the Meteor Gray with Pearl effects. Any opinions?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well first of all I think you made a good choice -- I too am ordering Meteor Gray for my S5.

But besides that, it looks like you have noticed the difference between Pearl and Metallic paints. Metallic paints have flecks that reflect light like little smashed up mirrors in the paint. Pearlescent paints have different color pigments that will reflect light differently depending on the time of day, so it can take on slightly different hues. I have Avus Silver pearl on my S4 and in the bright sunlight it can look simply like a darker silver, on a cloudy afternoon it's more blueish and "flat", then slightly purpleish blue as it gets darker, and at night a dark reflective silver (hard to describe). Many people won't notice things like that but I love it. It's less common and gives cars a special quality in my opinion.

Silver is the classic, low maintenance color and endures time very well. Black is gorgeous as well but as others have said higher maintenance to keep clean and free of swirl marks. I've seen black bimmers and audis in my neighborhood that are only 3 years old and look like hell, but it's all about how you take care of your car. I'm a nut about keeping it waxed and clean so my cars always look good when selling privately.

Anyway, I really think you'll like the Meteor. Yes you'll have to wash it more frequently but you'll probably WANT to wash it a lot. I can't wait to see pics of your new car! I'm in California and will have to wait until at least October to get mine. I'm going with Meteor gray and light silver napa interior.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I hear that the light silver interior is a bit of high maintenance as well. Any comment on that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just put my order in.

Quartz Grey / Black int. I am so wanting to change it to deep sea blue / silver int. But have not seen any real pics it is so hard. Hoping someone out there has seen these up close and can ease my mind.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quartz Grey / Black int. I am so wanting to change it to deep sea blue / silver int. But have not seen any real pics it is so hard. Hoping someone out there has seen these up close and can ease my mind.
go to www.audi.co.uk and search the used cars choosing the A5. There are a number of different colour combos

1 - 18 of 18 Posts