Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and girl,

I drive my S5 now for 4 weeks. Driving is great..
The only thing is that the car is delivered extremly nasty. For example, the paint looks like the skin of an orange apple (the bubbles). Does anyone else has this? Especially the trunk and rear bumper.
Alse the car is delivered to me with 53KM's on it, scratches at the back, poorly polished...

After I went back, they have polished the car again.. and.. ALSO THE INSIDE! you got to be kidding me!! Dash, leather, all shiny en all. pfff. WTF? Gas, brake pendals shiny and slippery, pfff...

still not good. car's new sent is gone, you smell the teflon (inside) not the leather chairs.

regarding the color and "bubbles".. sounds familiar?

·
Registered
643 Posts
That's called "orange peel", and unfortunately it's becoming the norm for most new cars nowadays. Some professional polishing can remove most, if not all, of the orange peel, but most new cars come with this from the factory. Some colors tend to show this more than others, but frankly it's nothing you should be mad about (unless your car has an especially bad case of orange peel).

As for the scratches and interior polishing, I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like your dealership may have done a bad job on the pre-delivery cleaning.

Would you mind taking and posting pictures of your car so we can see the peel you're talking about? I'm also somewhat interested in your color choice.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I have a Phantom Black car and I have the orangepeel issue. It was bad enough at the rear of the car that Audi agreed to wet sand and polish just the rear to fix it; problem solved. The rest of the car has orangepeel but it is within acceptable limits, IMO. Note that the effect was worst on the metal in the rear on the vertical surfaces of the decklid. This orangepeel is in the clear coat, not the paint, which is why the wet sanding is effective.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have a Phantom Black car and I have the orangepeel issue.
Its not an issue. Phantom Black is meant to be orange peel.

Although I am not impressed with the paint job. It scratches too easily.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I can honestly say I don't have any orange peel effect on my Phantom Black, it was one of the decisive factors when choosing the car as the standard of paint finish was way ahead of my previous BMW. Most peel effect can be polished out by a professional bodyshop or vehicle detailer leaving a mirror smooth finish. As for using silicone products on the dash, I would be seriously pissed if they had done this to my car. Manufacturers go to great lengths to ensure non reflective surfaces on their dash and trim panals, however hot water with a drop of detergent and a cloth will remove it, obviously taking care not to let water run into delicate areas. I know this works, I've had to do it before after buying a used DB9 which had been valeted by some over zealous teenager with a can of silicone spray.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
LOL - huh? What?
I was informed that the car is painted that way and left that way on purpose.

Its possibly laziness by the Audi to leave it that way but it is quite normal to see the darker coloured cars in the range be that way.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was informed that the car is painted that way and left that way on purpose.

Its possibly laziness by the Audi to leave it that way but it is quite normal to see the darker coloured cars in the range be that way.

Thats not true DD, the effect tends to show up more on darker colours and its generally harder to get a decent smooth and hard finish with modern water based paints, but there are inconsistencies with Audi paint finishes, as I say mine has no peel effect. I don't think any manufacturer would set out to achieve an orange peel finish on purpose..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Strange that there is a difference in painting the car and the quality. even with IBIS white?! You should think that the spray-robots...

The dealer now cleaned the leather seats and backseat. I'ts better now. the only thing (and you all know this) I know have a S5 with a Magnetic dasboard... FOR DUST!

o Well, what will be next.. o sir, let me clean the inside of your car... with a garden hose? Please put these rubber boots on? (or rubber "wooden" shoes ;-))

And yes, there where a few words with the F* word, and other words.. trust me, it was'nt pretty.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Although I am not impressed with the paint job. It scratches too easily.
I've found this with my previous black car...& was under the impression it's with most black/dark cars, it just shows up more[/B]..one of the reasons I went for white this time.

As for orange peel...I've not noticed any on my5!!!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
After being on this forum for like 6 months how come I don't find out until now that my car is going to have a rash? :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Thats not true DD, the effect tends to show up more on darker colours and its generally harder to get a decent smooth and hard finish with modern water based paints, but there are inconsistencies with Audi paint finishes, as I say mine has no peel effect. I don't think any manufacturer would set out to achieve an orange peel finish on purpose..
Wholly agreed. It's regrettable that the S5 has it. My TT looks like a sheet of glass, the paint is so perfect. The wet sanding helped the S5.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
For NimA5....

·
Registered
457 Posts
Clay the car, that will get rid of the orange peel. I also use spray detailer on the car after washing it. I had the orange peel when I got the car, but no more.

This is what I like to use:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Shane, claying wont remove orange peel mate, it'll take any contaminants off the paint but only a proffessional buff with compound will flatten any peel effect. As for the spray detailer, might be ok on your Quartz/Silver ? car but it leaves a greasy film that shows on dark colours and is a bitch when the sun shines.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Agreed; clay bars will do nothing to mitigate the orangepeel. Even an aggressive polishing compound with a power buffer might be ineffective. The only sure-fire way to fix orange peel (short of a respray) is a wet sanding.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Shane, claying wont remove orange peel mate, it'll take any contaminants off the paint but only a proffessional buff with compound will flatten any peel effect. As for the spray detailer, might be ok on your Quartz/Silver ? car but it leaves a greasy film that shows on dark colours and is a bitch when the sun shines.
I used to use the spray detailer on my Black Cobra convertible. It just takes a bit more buffing with a clean towel to get th residue to blend in.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I used to use the spray detailer on my Black Cobra convertible. It just takes a bit more buffing with a clean towel to get th residue to blend in.
Shane, if you're a fussy prat like me, spray detailer is no use, if you buff too hard you end up with swirls in the paint, I can't deal with that. Believe me mate, I wish I could. :wall:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts