Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
honestly, this review is crap, look wats number one, the XLR-V, that things a turd for how much it costs. The S5 is sweet and all but... a good one would be the RS5 (provided it actually happens). I mean the smart cars on there man

·
Registered
183 Posts
RS5 a future classic!

The S5 is sweet and all but... a good one would be the RS5 (provided it actually happens).
I'm seriously considering making my next car change be my last (I'm 47, so it's easier for me than you thirtysomethings or younger)

That'll be a big step-up from my current A5 1.8 to the RS5, and after that simply pampering the hell out of it 'till I'm too old to drive anything.

Looking at people driving around in classic 64 1/2 Mustangs, E-Types or Delta Integrale's makes me sort of look forward to blasting around in an immaculate RS5 in 20 years or so - specially as all the young tupps of 2032 will be "blasting" around in souped up golf carts.

Anyone else considered this?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Like minded

I'm seriously considering making my next car change be my last (I'm 47, so it's easier for me than you thirtysomethings or younger)

That'll be a big step-up from my current A5 1.8 to the RS5, and after that simply pampering the hell out of it 'till I'm too old to drive anything.

Looking at people driving around in classic 64 1/2 Mustangs, E-Types or Delta Integrale's makes me sort of look forward to blasting around in an immaculate RS5 in 20 years or so - specially as all the young tupps of 2032 will be "blasting" around in souped up golf carts.

Anyone else considered this?
I know this is an old thread but Bollox comments above struck a cord with me as that’s my plan too, blast around in an immaculate RS5 with a Milkek to make the most of the beasts voice and purely pamper and enjoy the RS5 ownership.

I’ve been researching various threads to see if the RS5 will become a future classic but online opinion suggests not. I’m not that worried as I think the RS5 Coupe is a beauty and it’s been a long term aspiration and my enthusiasm for this car has not waned.

As a youngster I loved the UR Quattro and the RS5 is it’s reincarnation. I love having goals to aim for....hopefully the younger generation will say “that 4.2 V8 RS5 is wasted on that old man” I’ll just smile and push my right foot firmer on the accelerator:thumbsup:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I suspect the key to getting a collectors car now for the future would be to look at production numbers. I agree the B8 A5 is a stunning design, but I fear just the sheer numbers made will render them all non-collectors unfortunately. IMO the only way to preserve some value way way way down the line would be to get a well specced immaculate RS5 and keep the miles ultra low. But then you're into buying something for future value rather than for driving so you might as well buy a piece of famous art or so.

Todays volume production, also perhaps combined with current complexity in their design and technology to conform with current legislation I guess would render most cars of today hopeless as prospective future collector cars. One would at a guess have higher hopes of appreciation if one looked at limited editions etc, but then we're into big bucks cars in the first place unfortunately.

Some safe way of proofing your future is of course understandable, but don't forget to live in the now is my advice :)

Regards

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
571 Posts
It is the sheer numbers and complexity that’s holding the RS5 back. Bro purchased a 1984 Opel Manta 2 years ago and it’s nearing end of nut and bolt resto. Currently there are just 14 Opel Manta GTE’s left registers on UK roads just now. I fully appreciate and love the style, it was just my era too, but I’m hankering after 440bhp from the V8 and not just 123bhp from the 1980’s. Pics attached if you’re interested. It is going to be a gorgeous motor when finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
I know this an old thread but I stumbled upon this Parker’s.co.uk report suggesting the best modern classics to invest in for 2020. The RS5 is listed here:
They suggest eight great V8s that represent great value at current prices and are either about to rise in value, or could do in the future....emphasis on could do ?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Great thread guys and the debate could go on for ever cos of course who can predict the future car markets.....I am more than 47 but I am certainly not thinking of buying my LAST car, that sounds far too boring, I still have a couple of fast bikes that I LOVE and my new to me B6 S4 is lovely too. I love today and I live for today, let tomorrow look after itself....

·
Registered
133 Posts
With Audi killing off new ICE development the 4.2 RS5 8T will most certainly be in line to hold value and become collectable as more EVs invade our roads. Perhaps not the inline 5 since Audi stuck it in the RS3 and thus made the TTRS a little less special, and the 4.0T which is prolific in a ton of newer Audis, I can only think of 3 engines that will stand the test of time and contribute to the collector / enthusiast audience the 4.2 V8 from B8 & 8.5 RS5/RS4, the 3.2 VR6 and the amazing twin turbo 5.2 V10. Sad that Audi are ending ICE, but great for this of us that own cars with these iconic and sometime quirky engines....along with their unique sounds.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Disagree about the I5. Especially when they made it out of aluminium and made it some 20kgs lighter. That it happens to be in both the TT and RS3 is irrelevant to the specialness of the engine itself. The I5 was quintessential in Audi Sport's venture into rallying and is as Audi as the Busso V6 is to Alfa. Half a V10 and sounds fantastic as well as being tuneable, I'd say it's the european modern alternative to the Supra 2JZ and Skyline RB26 I6's. (Oh how I wish Audi would make an R5 with the I5 in the middle and an electric front axle).

That S6 with the twin turbo V10 to me feels more like the opposite to less is more, it feels more like a "by the numbers" solution by the PR division in Audi to one-up the BMW V10 of the era. That the newer cars now have a TT V8 and that the R8 went with an NA V10 IMO tells all you need to know about that engine, IMO of course.

Agree with that last gen 4.2 though, a special engine made all the more special today when everything is turbocharged.

Regards

Reactions: heylinTTnz

·
Registered
84 Posts
RS5 will definately be collectible. S5 - not so much (although best examples, with V8s and MT will always command a premium).

Just look at S2 and RS2 prices.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.