Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Audi S5 2011 V6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people have out this across but I didn't get the right answer yet.
When I start the car cold start it makes this noise for a few minutes the noise is like a fishing rod reel. Today the RAC came to change the battery but he said it's might be a tensioner or a valve. I ain't got a clue what he was on about so need advice should I get my car checked its drives fine and the noise does not come back. It's just a start and I am only running my car once a week.
Don't want to spend a lot of money so please advice ?
Your help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
560 Posts
not sure what you mean by a fishing rod reel noise. if it's like a rattle, then it's very likely the timing chains are not tensioned correctly. the timing chain is tensioned by the tensioner, which is run by hydraulic oil pressure. once the engine runs a while and oil pressure builds up, the tensioner extends and tensions the chain correctly.

problem is, you run a high risk of the chain becoming too loose and the tensioner working too late which leads to catastrophic engine failure. the intake valves will hit the top of the engine's piston and you're looking at a world of hurt in terms of repair bills.

if you were a family member, i would tell you to stop driving the car immediately and tow it to a mechanic to check on the timing chain immediately.

·
Registered
Audi S5 2011 V6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure what you mean by a fishing rod reel noise. if it's like a rattle, then it's very likely the timing chains are not tensioned correctly. the timing chain is tensioned by the tensioner, which is run by hydraulic oil pressure. once the engine runs a while and oil pressure builds up, the tensioner extends and tensions the chain correctly.

problem is, you run a high risk of the chain becoming too loose and the tensioner working too late which leads to catastrophic engine failure. the intake valves will hit the top of the engine's piston and you're looking at a world of hurt in terms of repair bills.

if you were a family member, i would tell you to stop driving the car immediately and tow it to a mechanic to check on the timing chain immediately.
Thank you and much appreciated for the advice. I will get the car checked. The noise only comes for a few minutes after a cold start and doesn't not appear at all all after that. I wouldn't say it's a rattling noise it's more like a valve as it's come and go during that two mins of cold start it's not constant. It's felt like something is trying to open and then close. So I am not sure but as you advice will take it to the garage. Perhaps I will record it today and post it here today.

·
Registered
Audi S5 2011 V6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds more like the secondary air pump to me. Is it kind of like a "screaming reels"/vacuum cleaner type noise?
Yes exactly and it's does come and go for a few minutes. I have started my car and driven it today and it was normal no noise came so finger cross but saying that it had a new battery fitting in yesterday so more power also the weather was nice today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Battery's got nothing to do with it - the secondary air pump pushes warm air into the exhaust manifolds to start heating the the catalytic convertor so it works properly sooner. You'll find that it isn't as pronounced in warm weather, and it shouldn't do it if the engine is warm already when you start it.

The only way to cure it is to replace or repair. You may get a fault light and code (P0411 IIRC) eventually. Had the same problem with my Mk4 Golf GTI but it was a very easy and cheap fix TBH.

·
Registered
Audi S5 2011 V6
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery's got nothing to do with it - the secondary air pump pushes warm air into the exhaust manifolds to start heating the the catalytic convertor so it works properly sooner. You'll find that it isn't as pronounced in warm weather, and it shouldn't do it if the engine is warm already when you start it.

The only way to cure it is to replace or repair. You may get a fault light and code (P0411 IIRC) eventually. Had the same problem with my Mk4 Golf GTI but it was a very easy and cheap fix TBH.
Thanks for the great advice I am but relieved . so can I still drive it for now ? I mean I will book it in sometime this month but it not gonna hurt the car is it? Or should I get it to replace Asap?

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.