Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not exactly sure what the difference is...

I didn't even see the coilovers that were put on my Saab, I handed them the box and they opened it and installed them.

I know that the H&R springs could drop the S5 w/ the Sport OE 1", but, what about buying the entire coilover. What kind of gain would it yield over just the spring? Would it produce more torque and less body roll?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Coilovers are far superior, in that the springs are matched to the shocks and provide a much better ride quality.

I believe using lowering springs over a long period of time causes damage to the stock shocks as they are not exactly matched.

If you can afford it get the coilovers, they'll cost you a bit more but will be worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Not just that, they are far more comfortable than just the springs. Indeed, just as comfortable or even more than the stock shocks.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the useful information.
I just read the wiki link, thanks TX!

Does H&R sell the coilover with a 1" drop in addition to just the spring?
Or is there a superior company that i should look at?

On the H&R website coilovers are not diagnosed to a specific vehicle make and model. So are they universal?
Sorry i sound like such a n00b!!! The SAAB's coilovers were given to me as a gift.

Overall, is the Street performance coilover a nice product and does it look good on the S5. The 1.3" spring is too much of a drop IMHO, but 1" is just right.

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/coilovers/

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Thanks for the useful information.
I just read the wiki link, thanks TX!

On the H&R website coilovers are not diagnosed to a specific vehicle make and model. So are they universal?
Sorry i sound like such a n00b!!! The SAAB's coilovers were given to me as a gift.

Overall, is the Street performance coilover a nice product and does it look good on the S5. The 1.3" spring is too much of a drop IMHO, but 1" is just right.

http://www.hrsprings.com/products/coilovers/
H&R do coilovers for the S5 and you can set the height to whatever you want within the coilovers range, so 1" will not be an issue.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
As SAJ mentioned, coilovers allow you to dial in your desired ride height. If you're considering coilovers, I'd recommend going with the KW brand. In my discussions with sizzle (who has H&R coilovers on his S5), I'm of the belief that the KW coilovers will likely provide a bit better ride quality than H&R's coilovers.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I was happy with my H&R's until I got to LA and the horrible freeways here. I briefly considered switching, but i'm not sure how the KW's would hold up in LA either.

I would either get the KW V1 or the H&R's if you don't plan on tracking your car which would make the adjustability worth the extra cost of the V2's...

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was happy with my H&R's until I got to LA and the horrible freeways here. I briefly considered switching, but i'm not sure how the KW's would hold up in LA either.

I would either get the KW V1 or the H&R's if you don't plan on tracking your car which would make the adjustability worth the extra cost of the V2's...
The V2's can be adjusted to be softer than the V1's. The V2's midpoint setting is about equal to the V1's.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The V2's can be adjusted to be softer than the V1's. The V2's midpoint setting is about equal to the V1's.
I was unaware of that. I was actually pondering the V1. Oh well....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts