Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you in Scotland, was in contact with Jim from Star Performance in Fife and was enquiring about coilovers as I want to lower the car when the new wheels come.

He quoted the following (All prices include fitting, VAT and 4 wheel alignment) :-

KW v1 is £955.00
KW v2 is £1180.00
KW v3 is £1399.00
H&R is £1074.00

Now which one to choose? :confused: I think I may go with Variant 1, as I don't think I will ever be adjusting the dampners or anything, just want to lower it without the downsides of just using springs.

Any reason why any of the other ones should be choosen instead??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Saj,

I'm in exactly the same boat. I had fully adjustable Koni coilovers on my last car, but never adjusted the damping beyond the standard setting anyway! It's impossible to know if the standard damping on the KWs may be too soft / harsh, etc... which is why I'm thinking about going for the KW2s - they're 'only' £200 more, and I can see myself regretting not having the option to adjust the damping. To get it then would cost another £1200!

T

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
whats te difference between the v1, v1 and v3?
How much of a drop are each? anyone know?
KW Variant 1 - Adjustable height with fixed damping rates. v1
KW Variant 2 - Adjustable height with adjustable rebound rates. v2
KW Variant 3 - Adjustable height with adjustable bump and rebound rates. v3

Edit: Drop can be 25 - 55mm.

One other question from me, those that have coilovers fitted - is the handling better than stock of just the same?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
KW Variant 1 - Adjustable height with fixed damping rates. v1
KW Variant 2 - Adjustable height with adjustable rebound rates. v2
KW Variant 3 - Adjustable height with adjustable bump and rebound rates. v3

Edit: Drop can be 25 - 55mm.

One other question from me, those that have coilovers fitted - is the handling better than stock of just the same?

On my H&R's body roll is totally gone, but the bigger surprise is that pitch and dive is now non-existent.
Also, based on what you've said and the pricing, I would go with the V2. That way you can get the ride how you want it even if you aren't going to keep adjusting them.....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Question I have is if the the KW coils will have any problems with the Audi Drive Select component????

And what are the rebound rates??

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
OK... here's my bit...

KW spend quite a bit setting the standard V1 suspension just right, so this will be a great upgrade, even from just springs.

Most tuning companies, including APS say that they rarely change the settings on the V2 and V3 from the default, meaning that the V1 offers the best value.

The V2 however, allows the adjustment of the 'bound' or compression of the strut... this means that you have some control over the 'harshness' of the ride and the behavior front to back to suit your tastes and driving style. I would be suprised if the V2 doesn't also adjust the rebound automatically to compliment the bound rate like the Bilstein PSS9.

The V3 allows seperated rebound adjustment (compression and extension) such that you can get the rear bound hard and the front rebound soft to ensure maximum traction under steering and acceleration as the rear will squat less rapidly anf the front will 'track' with the road more readily, but TBH this option is for setting the car up for specific conditions, rather than general driving. Therfore, I'd go for the V2s, so you have the lowering AND the ability to adjust the car a little to your driving style.

Hope this helps. Ian.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Ian, think i'll save that little bit extra cash and go with V1 as I sure KW will have gone to good lengths to get a good balance. I only wanted to lower the motor anyway just so it looks right with the new wheels but have something better than just springs and the V1 will do this for me.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question I have is if the the KW coils will have any problems with the Audi Drive Select component????

Not sure about this one, is drive select the adjustable dampning system?

If so I would probably e-mail a couple of the suspension manufactures just to make sure as they will have a better idea.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

'
YES, the coilovers will have problems with drive select!!!

The drive select uses 'special' electronically adjustable shocks... the coil-overs will replace these... hence no drive select!!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have the first set of V3s in existance, off the SEMA show S5, and they are the most amazing suspension ive ever driven on.
If you could, can you give us a more specific details on how it has changed in comparison to the stock.

Also did u adjust any of the settings or put them straight on as they came?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.