Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Still getting to know my new (to me) 2013 S5, but loving it so far.

Brain-pick though - the car doesn't appear to have TPMS. I've checked under "car"/servicing etc and there's no reference to it.

Sooooo, can TPMS be retrofitted?

I'm guessing it needs 4 TPMS sensors, and a coding?

Not looking at doing it just yet as the car's got pretty much brand new tyres, so it can be done around the tyre change time......

Thanks in advance,

Dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that - I've not got VCDS so that might be an issue :D
But before the programming, can I assume that you need to get TMPS sensors installed in the wheels/valves?
If so, where to get those from?

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have TPMS and I am not really a fan. The only time I got a genuine warning was when I hit a pothole and so the warning was hardly a surprise. At least 3 other times I got false warnings, including one when it was raining hard but I still pulled off the motorway to check my tyre pressures which were fine. I think my mistake was that I was not regularly resetting the system after checking my tyres. I check them regularly anyway.

·
Administrator
620 Posts
You don’t need in wheel sensors. The system uses the ABS sensors to determine wheel speed. I was recently alerted to a pressure warning. Pulled over but wasn’t able to see anything in the tyre. A closer inspection revealed a screw in the tread.
You do need a 1AT ABS pump to enable this feature. You can see that on your info sticker in the boot. Do you have 1AT on your car?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yep, I coded it into mine too with the 1AT brakes. Like John mentioned you can’t have individual TPMS sensors, this is a more basic version where it detects if the wheel spin is different to warn you that a tyre is under inflated. Worked for me once before!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, I did read about this after posting the question, and tI think I'm stuffed as I've got the 1AS, not 1AT.
But as I've not had TPMS aside from on Wifey's cars (which have always been considerably newer than mine), I assumed incorrectly that I needed new valves etc. Useful to know that it can run off the ABS, but I guess without changing over the pump, it's a non-starter, and not worth doing.

So I need to go back to the tried & tested method of you know, manually checking :D :D :D

Thanks for your input :)

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts