Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this installed? Im adding this as an option on my S5

cost is quite high at £750 + £150 yearly charge?

I actually saw the cobratrak progam on the audi channel on Sky. Looks great.

I can't find a web link to there website? anyone know what the link is. I would like to see what options they have.

·
Registered
373 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sure thats the one. Thanks for the web link. Going to call these guys direct for some quotes to see how much audi are making from me :)

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
If I read that correctly, it's ONLY a GPS based system? rather than GPS + signal based.

Advantages of GPS are that the car can be pin pointed. However, if it's in location where it cant get a GPS signal - for example, a tunnel, storage container etc etc, then the car wont be recovered - thats where the good old fashiooned signal based system comes in.

If I were you, i'd be going for a GPS + VHF Signal based system such as tracker response - that way you've got the best of both worlds if either signals fail.

tracker response is £499 fitted + £149 a year, OR £499 fitted + £425 one-off fee (duration of ownership of the car).

Plus, tracker is THE most popular vehicle recovery system in the UK. It's Audi approved as well, so you can get that fitted at your dealership.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Info.

Thanks i will take this up with my audi dealer. I didnt think this was an option from the dealer. I figured Audi only do the Cobra track. Great stuff thanks.

Although i have heard good things about cobra track. There response time for calling you is 1 to 2 minutea, if the car is moving and the key fob is not in range.

Will digg out the tracker response website and read up on it. Thanks for the top tip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got the Tracker Response fitted at the dealer. You can log on to a web site and get details of your last 6 months journeys, which is good for charging mileage to the company if you use your car for work. Not so good if you have some secret girl friends and the missus finds out where you've been!

It also has good European coverage if you plan to go on a driving holiday etc.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I got the Tracker Response fitted at the dealer. You can log on to a web site and get details of your last 6 months journeys, which is good for charging mileage to the company if you use your car for work. Not so good if you have some secret girl friends and the missus finds out where you've been!
really? I didnt know that. Seems even more worth the money!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dealer sent me this today and said that the Cobra Track 5 is £1,000 fitted.
I don't think this includes a subscription. Would be interested to hear what people think of this price.

Dealer's Text Below

CobraTrak’s vehicle tracking and recovery products offer a number of advantages:

. The tracking module uses GPS and GSM technology which allows pin point positioning of a vehicle and in turn leads to rapid recovery times.
. The GSM technology is enabled through a roaming SIM card that covers over 30 European countries as standard.
. The tracking unit has an integral back-up battery which ensures continued operation of the tracking device if the battery is disconnected. The in-built sabotage alert will automatically alert the security control room if the battery is disconnected or the system is tampered with.
. CobraTrak perform an automatic health check on each system every 30 days to ensure operational continuity.
. The CobraTrak devices can be transferred in the event of a change of vehicle.
. 3 year warranty included from the date of vehicle handover.
. CobraTrak Q attivo upgrade gives owners the functionality to track their vehicle online using a web based application.
. CobraTrak have a Category 5 approved product.

Further details on CobraTrak can be found on their website http://www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.uk

The Products – CobraTrak Q, CobraTrak Q attivo and CobraTrak 5

CobraTrak Q

CobraTrak Q is an entry-level stolen vehicle recovery system with Pan-European tracking coverage.

On discovery of vehicle theft (or verification of vehicle theft after an alert for unauthorised vehicle
movement) the owner must report the theft to the police and obtain a crime reference number, and
then contact the Cobra 24 hour control room to activate the stolen vehicle tracking procedure. This
basic procedure applies for all systems offering stolen vehicle tracking.

Features

. European-wide coverage via accurate GPS / GSM technology.
. Alert service when unauthorised movement of the vehicle is detected.
. Recognised by most leading insurers in the UK and Ireland.
. Integral battery back-up.
. Thatcham Q-class / TQA listed.
. Sold Secure approved.

CobraTrak Q attivo

With all the benefits of CobraTrak Q, the CobraTrak Q attivo gives the further advantage of being able to see precisely where the vehicle is at any given time across Europe.

Owners can track, trace and interact with their vehicle online, using a new web application that gives pin-point street level positioning with the ability to review exactly where the vehicle has been. For extra visibility and reassurance, the owner can receive positional updates direct to their mobile or even via fax. Other functions include time and distance tracking and a self-setting transport mode to avoid unnecessary alerts if the vehicle is being transported.

CobraTrak Q attivo has the stolen vehicle recovery benefits of CobraTrak Q plus:

• High visibility at any time with Street Level 'Position on Demand'.
• Find out where the vehicle has been with Time/Distance Tracking.

CobraTrak 5

CobraTrak 5 is a Thatcham Category 5 listed product and therefore offers a high level of reassurance in the event of vehicle theft. Not only is the hardware tested by Thatcham, but so too is the Cobra installation procedure and the operation of the 24 hour secure operating centre. CobraTrak 5 is supplied with 2 "Automatic Driver Recognition" (ADR) cards which act to arm and disarm the CobraTrak unit. If the car is started without the ADR card being present in the vehicle then the CobraTrak device will be armed and the Secure Operating Centre alerted automatically.

This means extra reassurance that the vehicle can be tracked, even if the vehicle is stolen with the keys without the owner being aware. The CobraTrak 5 system also has the additional ability to remotely immobilise the vehicle once stolen, but please note this can only be initialised with official Police authorisation.

Benefits summary:

. Europe-wide stolen vehicle recovery system with Cobra operational support in other European countries.
. Fully automatic 'arm' and 'disarm' feature via ADR cards
. The CobraTrak unit provides alerts if it detects unauthorised movement
. This unit also provides alerts to the secure control room if it detects the disconnection of the vehicle battery, the driver card reader or the antenna
. The module is installed within a secure steel housing for even greater protection
. Integral battery back-up
. Thatcham Cat 5 listed (Cobra 2112)
. Level 1 Police response

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well It looks like a great product. I asked for the Tracker response to be installed but audi said they only do Tracker Horizon. This is what Tracker horizon does:

Stage 1:
If a TRACKER Horizon equipped vehicle is illegally moved, a movement sensor hidden in the vehicle sends a signal to TRACKER HQ.

Stage 2:
TRACKER HQ contacts the vehicle owner to confirm whether the vehicle has been stolen. When confirmed as stolen to TRACKER HQ and the police, the TRACKER unit hidden in the stolen vehicle is activated. The vehicle is now emitting a silent land based radio signal and its position is being logged via GPS satellites.

Stage 3:
The silent signal can now be picked up by any of the UK's 52 police forces that are within the vicinity of the stolen vehicle. The signal and the GPS satellite positional information will work in conjunction to direct the police to the exact location of the stolen vehicle.

Stage 4:
On customer request, a uniformed guard waits with your vehicle until it is recovered to a destination of your choice - anywhere in mainland Britain. This service applies only to stolen vehicles located within mainland Great Britain.

Ideally i would prefer to get Tracker response which does the following:

How does TRACKER Response work?
TRACKER Response is equipped to monitor the illegal movement of your vehicle, even when the ignition is turned off and the immobilizer is activated.

If the vehicle is moved without your authorization an alert is generated and you will be notified accordingly. You then contact TRACKER HQ to provide confirmation of the theft. Using GPS and our patented VHF technology, the TRACKER control room can display the vehicle's precise location on computer-based maps.

Driver Validation Tag
TRACKER Response includes a driver validation system that can detect whether the person driving the vehicle is authorised to do so. If the tag cannot be detected by the TRACKER Response unit, for example in the event of a theft where the thief does not have the tag, an alert will be generated and on confirmation of the theft, the tracking process begins

TRACKER Response Customer Website
For the first time TRACKER's Stolen Vehicle Recovery system is offering a truly interactive customer website to TRACKER Response customers. This will provide you with a host of additional benefits, including:

Route planner functionality:
This will provide you with the best-selected route for your chosen journey. In addition, TRACKER Response can highlight roadwork locations and other vehicle incidents.

Historical travel information:
This will allow you to see which routes your vehicle has travelled over a 6-month period, for example if you have lent your vehicle to another driver. Should you use your personal vehicle for business use, TRACKER Response allows you to flag business journeys and provides an interactive calculator, which will detail each business journey selected.

Personal reminder alerts:
In the instance where you leave the vehicle unattended, for example, at a train station car park, you can set a personal alert that will notify you of any vehicle movement. The TRACKER Response customer website allows you to highlight important dates, such as; your car's MOT or friend's birthday.

On the specified date, an alert will be sent to you reminding you of the event. A number of other alerts are also available such as a speed monitor.

European Cover
TRACKER Monitor and TRACKER Horizon provide tracking throughout the UK, France and Spain as standard. In addition to the UK, France and Spain, TRACKER Response and TRACKER Echo are operational throughout Western Europe. To find out how you can subscribe to the extend European coverage call our Customer helpline on 01895 811 989

Cobra's top end product is also great. This is whats included.

CobraConnex
Introducing CobraConnex, a unique, fully-featured vehicle security tracking system which allows car owners to stay in touch with their vehicle and at the same time, help reduce the costs and heartache which result from theft, break-ins, vandalism, roadside emergencies, accidents and assaults.

At its heart is the core feature of stolen vehicle tracking and recovery, but Connex offers much more besides. Using a web browser with secure password protected access or via any touchtone phone, the vehicle owner has the ability to send and recieve "communications" from the vehicle.

In short, CobraConnex provides total peace of mind for car owners. It is Thatcham Q-class listed (ref. EVQ-1000).

Obtaining a location for the vehicle request
Creating a defined zone (geofence) around the vehicle to determine if it moves in or out of a particular location
Setting an excessive speed alert notification
Unlocking or locking the vehicle remotely
Performing a 'dissuasion' sequence (horns sound, hazard lights flash) if a break-in is suspected in order to deter the thief
Putting the vehicle into transportation and maintenance modes to avoid unnecessary alerts when the vehicle is at a garage or being transported legitimately (eg: on a ferry/lowloader)
Europe-wide stolen vehicle recovery system with Cobra operational support in other European countries
CobraConnex is Thatcham Q-class listed (ICD10 Module series)
Integral battery back-up

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my Tracker Response fitted at Nottingham Audi by Live Wire Nottingham. They arranged for the guy to install the tracker, all I had to do was pay over the phone. Easy as that. If your dealer can't fit a Response for you and that's the one you want, arrange for your local Tracker installer to fit it at Audi. Can't think why Audi aren't looking after you a little better, I had the same senario and Nottingham sorted it for me after offering me the Cobra variation.

The main reason why I chose the Response was to keep a log my mileage for work. This is done by logging onto your own Response web site, which keeps all of the car movements on log for the last 6 months. Other than that, I think they all do the same job.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well tomorrow is pay day for them... So i will insist upon the tracker response to be installed, before the money goes down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've just picked up my S5 from Derby Audi (who are now part of the Sytner group) and they have swapped from Tracker to CobraTrak in the last few months -- something which many of the UK Audi dealerships are doing.

I have has a Cobratrak 5 installed on my S5 and it appears on the surface to be far superior to the Tracker Horizon (which my partner has on her TT).

But to be honest, they both do the same job - so, each to their own.

Cheers,
Dave.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dear Audi enthusiast !

Be careful installing such a car alarm !
Today on my S5I changed the battery as a result the Cobar Connex bullshit blocked the car.
I bought the car used with alarm installed , the service agreement is not any longer active but the service provider blocked the car.
I called the service and they requested 40 euros (2000 rules) to make a diagnostic by GSM link with no guarantee of success ...
They explained that the link with the driver personal tag was lost and to setup the ling they have to connect to the gsm link.
I asked how to do it onsite myself : answer no...
So I call that a Racket !
If you want to track your car you's better buy a gsm/gps tracker for 100 euros and pay the gsm data link : you will know where is the car online without sharing this info with a commercially interested company.
In Russia the database of one of the car tracking services was hacked so the thieves were able to locate the car they wanted and they stole it.
Regards
Nicolas

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just thought I would recommend MTrack, just installed in my car battery operated 18 to 24 months battery life, does not need to be connected to the battery, which means it can be hidden anywhere in or on the outside of the car the choice is yours. Happily have not had to test the system yet, but seems a reasonable price for the features and works from grps and rf so the car can pretty much be permanently tracked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts