Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I picked the car up in October 2007, my clutch pedal has exhibited the crunching/grinding feeling when depressed, as well as the stickiness/slowness. Now at 15K, I decided it was time to have it fixed. My car was built in the summer of 2007. The dealership checked the serial number on the transmission against a reference list and saw that Audi recommends replacement for serial numbers below xxx#.

Pedal feel is much improved, and the clutch operation feels faster. The stickiness is minimized, but not gone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Since I picked the car up in October 2007, my clutch pedal has exhibited the crunching/grinding feeling when depressed, as well as the stickiness/slowness. Now at 15K, I decided it was time to have it fixed. My car was built in the summer of 2007. The dealership checked the serial number on the transmission against a reference list and saw that Audi recommends replacement for serial numbers below xxx#.

Pedal feel is much improved, and the clutch operation feels faster. The stickiness is minimized, but not gone.
Same thing for me except at 6,000mi... Stickiness is still there, car jerks and bucks at a standstill im not very happy with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Count me in too.

From about 10k to 12k, the clutch pedal was difficult to depress, though not "sticky" or "sandy", and it was nearly impossible to shift into R, 1, or 2. After a 3 week visit at the doctor, the throwout bearing and clutch mechanisms were replaced. The pedal is now light as a feather, but is sticky. I'm almost to 14k now, and I just don't know if it's even worth taking the car back to the dealer.

So any ideas? Is this just a car that will have a sticky clutch pedal? Do I just learn to deal with it, or do I demand perfection? I've driven plenty of crappy old cars that have a better clutch feel than this S5.

Good news is that the car still looks absolutely beautiful. I never get tired of coming out of a store and seeing my car in the parking lot.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Summary of deleted quote: problem is design flaw, not bad part

You are saying that they are replacing your entire gearbox under warranty? Not the usual throwout bearing, flywheel, and clutch. I drop my car off tonight to have the bearing, flywheel, and clutch replaced. I'd love to have them tack on the other at the same time.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Since there is no TSB on this matter, I already know the answer from my Audi dealer.... I have a very good relationship with them, but the problem is they're kind of (I don't wanna say it) ignorant. Does anybody know if there's some type of statement/document from an Audi spokesperspn we could quote... or anything. It always helps to have something besides your own word :ninja2:

·
Registered
314 Posts
1.) Yes, the entire gearbox is being replaced.

2.) For the first 15 minutes of driving, there is no stickeness. The problem occurs once the car has heated up, giving time for these defective components to heat and expand aswell, which is causing the grinding and stickiness
My car (which just had a few components replaced for the same issue) is going back into the dealer Monday morning for more bullshit clutch issues and a CEL... Which is trash, this car is giving me a huge headache, and at this point if I have to go another 3 weeks without it I will be selling or replacing it... I will mention the gearbox thing to them but im sure they will crack up and tell me to piss off.:music-smiley-019:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is every S5 expected to have the problem

I'm curious. Is this problem expected to occur in all manual transmisson S5's?
I have a 2009 S5 produced is September 2008 and have had no clutch problems at all over 14,000 km.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm curious. Is this problem expected to occur in all manual transmisson S5's?
I have a 2009 S5 produced is September 2008 and have had no clutch problems at all over 14,000 km.
I hope you are ok. It seems to be for early production models. Other threads in the forum will explain that a defective throwout bearing was breaking apart and causing serious damage to most transmission parts.

For me, I knew that I had a very early production model (Sep 2007) and that I had 20,000 Miles. The clutch was sticky but I had no real problems getting the car into gear. I complained to the dealer that it feels different and they opened it up and found that my throwout bearing had collapsed and pieces were floating around. They just replaced it this past weekend.

I picked my car up and drove home and it was quite different. However, later that morning the EPC light came on, and then during the evening commute the MIL light came on so it is already back at the dealer.

I can only imagine what is wrong now...

·
Registered
314 Posts
That sounds like the begining of a very bad day... Good luck to you! The dealer of course says they "cannot replicate" my concern, although I feel it every time I drive so I feel like they are jerking me around a bit. That said a certified letter is on its way to Audi USA at this time... its been in service for 35 days its a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
435 Posts
That sounds like the begining of a very bad day... Good luck to you! The dealer of course says they "cannot replicate" my concern, although I feel it every time I drive so I feel like they are jerking me around a bit. That said a certified letter is on its way to Audi USA at this time... its been in service for 35 days its a bit ridiculous.
They just called me and claimed that it is a fuel pressure sensor that was bad. They *said* they replaced the sensor with an updated version, and updated the coding. Something smells very fishy here. I take it in for one problem, they fix it under warranty, and then another problem surfaces in a completely different section of the car that is unrelated to the first the also requires warranty work. I'd be more comfortable with the dealer if they said there was a loose connection from the work they did. This makes me think they are trying to get as much out of Audi as possible at my expense.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow thats so odd...Sounds like an AoA dealer, they all seem to be a bit problematic... I still havent heard from the dealer since Tuesday so im getting a bit pissy, although this brings my days out of service way over 30 days and this will be the 4th repair attempt... what a mess I tell you, I may try and sell the car before I head north for the summer and order another one in NY.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Still nothing from AoA or my dealer... This is insanity no other way to describe that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Car is back nothing is fixed. Im done with this S5... Time to sell / get replaced and order a new one or something else.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oof. That sucks; I'm sorry.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Car is back nothing is fixed. Im done with this S5... Time to sell / get replaced and order a new one or something else.
Yea sorry to hear that too... there really should be a TSB on this issue. Would help a lot with the dealers. I hope it works out for you Greeney, whatever you choose to do.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yea sorry to hear that too... there really should be a TSB on this issue. Would help a lot with the dealers. I hope it works out for you Greeney, whatever you choose to do.
Thank you guys, really appreciate all the help these threads have brought me! I would love to order a 2010 car possibly for June delivery... We will see, in talks with AoA now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
can you let me know what happened. im in the middle of dealing w. my local rep and they want to asses my cars worth and give me audi credit towards another, which is unacceptable to me. i may pursue a class action if they keep this shit up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
They offered me 12% of the MSRP of the purchase of a new Audi, with the trade of my car... aka, I end up losing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts