Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster seeking advice. Bought a 09 170bhp coupe in December 19. She's a high miler (300,000km) but has fsh, 2 owners, receipts for everything she needed and immaculate inside & out.
Small but reputable dealer was selling her, gave me 3 month warranty. Clutch started slipping within 2,000 kms of owning it (about 4/5 weeks). Garage offered to replace it or find a local mechanic to do it. After my mechanic quoted €1200 - €1300 to do clutch and flywheel (I wouldn't do one without the other) the dealer said he would do it. Receipts were to be emailed/sent on. Still waiting on receipts for all parts but have text conversations stating with dealer guaranteeing the work that was to be carried out etc.
Sorry for the essay but I'm getting to the point now 😊 Clutch started slipping again two days ago. There has been approx 6,000km driven since it was supposedly fixed before. (Yes I'm a female, no I don't ride the clutch. Driven cars & bikes for 10+ years and never done a clutch in - only stating this because the dealer pointed the finger at me the first time, couldn't have burnt it out in that time frame even if I tried 😂)
Question is, do I have a leg to stand on when I query it with the dealer? Do manufacturers offer a mileage warranty on certain parts? Has anyone had a similar experience? Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated! Thanks 😊

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
Hiya Neev and very sorry to hear your tale of car woe with some nasty sexism added to the plot, horrible. OK. Well lets see:

1. Sale of goods act, the car must be suitable for the purpose it was sold ie driving it without clutch slip. A dealer must give you warranty by law.
2. He says he repaired it BUT you have no receipts nor evidence that he did.
3. It slips again.

In my opinion now is the time to ask your trusted INDI for his professional opinion and by all means pay him TO GET THAT IN WRITING. Then armed with this go to see the boss of the supplying dealer and tell him you are not prepared to accept this shit and you want your money back. NOW.

Then talk to a solicitor or the small claims court and get them onto your case. Good luck!!!!!

Reactions: NeevOhCee

·
Registered
76 Posts
Funny we had a 2016 1.8 A5 convertible in for an MOT last week with 16000 miles on the clock and the clutch was slipping on that. Seemed to me to be very low mileage car needing a clutch replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just watch out for dealers trying to insist the clutch is a "wear" item so is not covered for warranty. Yes, I know the time/mileage is short, but expect they might try to be very sneaky!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just watch out for dealers trying to insist the clutch is a "wear" item so is not covered for warranty. Yes, I know the time/mileage is short, but expect they might try to be very sneaky!!!
Originally, he just gave me warranty on engine and gearbox. Given the timeline when it went the first time, he knew he had to do something with it or take the car back. He stuck by his word and sorted it for me (kind of - until now). It has only been slipping in 5th gear this time, which makes me think it could be something like a release bearing. It has been popping out of 6th gear every so often and can be hard to get into first gear from a standstill but that was due to be checked by my own mechanic before the pandemic kicked in.
Getting my own mechanic to have a look at her this week and then when I have all my ducks in line I will contact the dealer and see what he has to say.
Another note that I had forgotten about - dealer claimed that the clutch was replaced just over 2 years ago by him for previous owner. Which leads me to think that he might have cowboys as mechanics.

Thanks so much for all the info everyone, really appreciate it!👌

·
Registered
76 Posts
No way should it be jumping out of 6th gear and the release bearing won’t cause it to slip in fifth. You have two problems clutch slip and faulty gear box. It will require a box strip to determine what parts are needed and a new 3 piece clutch kit if it has already had a new DMF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts