Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
I discussed this issue back in January. WHen I talked with the service manager, he was very quick to say this is a natural problem in S4,S5 has something to do with the fact that the car has a Hydraulic and mechanical clutch. Its something I have learned to live with. Also only occurs once car is warm.

· Registered
41 Posts
I discussed this issue back in January. WHen I talked with the service manager, he was very quick to say this is a natural problem in S4,S5 has something to do with the fact that the car has a Hydraulic and mechanical clutch. Its something I have learned to live with. Also only occurs once car is warm.
I find this problem verry disturbing, and I can't see myself learning to live with it.

An if it is natural, then all the S5 should have this problem ...

· Registered
41 Posts
Any news on this problem? :confused:

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Any news on this problem? :confused:
I have to bring the car back to the dealer and they are going to evaluate the situation and take it from there. Probably next week before I get around to it. Will post when I have news.

· Registered
42 Posts
I have noticed this too

It started a couple of weeks ago after a 200 mile drive. Now it is real intermittent.

· Registered
106 Posts
Guys -

Not to add salt into the wound here; I feel for a number of you folks.

However, I find the issue of the throw-out bearing COMPLETELY unacceptable. Have you ever replaced one? I have. This is not a new technology piece that needs revising since the S5 is in it's first year run!

This is a piece almost as old as manual transmissions. BTW - has anyone reported the same problem with a manual A5?

Bottom line, I don't buy first generation ANYTHING!

Good luck to everyone that is having problems and please don't accept this as acceptable! Demand of Audi corporate and the dealer network to make it right for you!

· Registered
21 Posts
Got my car back today!

Hello, I just wanted to report in...

After 3.5 weeks at Audi Service, I got my car back today (after I called to check up on it - they hadn't even called me to tell me that it was ready.)

On the phone, they told me that the delay was something about a part that "broke" after they put it back together and had to take it apart again and replace "that part" - I am not even sure what the heck this was about.

According to the write-up, they replaced my entire clutch assembly and flywheel, too. (In all, there were almost 30 parts listed on the repair report, but this included screws and such.)

As for the driving report - it was good to have my car back. When I first got in, the clutch felt slightly lighter and definitely more responsive than I remembered it. (Then again, it has been over 3 weeks since I last drove it and even before that, I had only put about 800 miles on the car.) The shift felt less stiff as well.

I did about 20 miles on the car this evening - local driving. So far, everything seems to be good. (The clutch was feeling a bit stiffer as was the shift - so I am thinking that I was getting used to it and my initial feelings were really a lack of muscle memory - I am not sure.)

I am happy to say that at least for these 20 miles - the car seems to be fixed!.

One down note: I did notice a small ding above my rear-left wheel that I am 100% sure was not there when I brought it in. Looks like it was hit by a car door in a lot somewhere. - I have to talk to service about that.

I will report in if anything (hopefully not) changes.

I am curious to hear how things turn out for everyone else. - Please keep posting.

J

· Registered
1,184 Posts
Guys -

Not to add salt into the wound here; I feel for a number of you folks.

However, I find the issue of the throw-out bearing COMPLETELY unacceptable. Have you ever replaced one? I have. This is not a new technology piece that needs revising since the S5 is in it's first year run!

This is a piece almost as old as manual transmissions. BTW - has anyone reported the same problem with a manual A5?

Bottom line, I don't buy first generation ANYTHING!

Good luck to everyone that is having problems and please don't accept this as acceptable! Demand of Audi corporate and the dealer network to make it right for you!
So your presence on this board is for what reason? 99% of your posts are negative towards Audi and the S5 itself. What is the point of being here? Are you going to order the S5 second gen?
Not trying to start some war, just an observation and question....

· Registered
21 Posts
Another note...

In case anyone was interested - I brought the car into Audi service to have them look at the ding that, I firmly believe occurred while in their possession...

Oddly-enough, they had the dent-removal guy there at the time and they fixed it for me right on the spot. I was very happy with that today.

Also, I spoke with the mechanic who worked on my car - he told me that they removed the transmission from the car - removed the clutch assembly and flywheel... they replaced everything in the clutch - Clutch, plate, flywheel, throw-out bearing (and whatever other parts I don't know about - I am not that knowledgeable about transmissions) and put it all back together.

The reason, it took 3.5 weeks was because the throw-out bearing - the original part to be replaced - had to be ordered from Germany as whatever one they had readily available here in the states was the wrong one for the S5 (I was told that none of the parts in the S5 were interchangeable with any of the current Audi models.) They noticed "hot spots" on the fly wheel and decided to replace that and somehow in the process (not exactly sure when / why) the decision was made to replace all of the components of the clutch.

So far... almost 200 miles... the car is feeling perfect.

Seamo - I am still anxious to hear what happens.

J

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for the detailed updates W4S5 - it is good to know how things are progressing and I read with great interest.

I left my car in yesterday morning and went for a drive with he technician. I drove for a while, but suggested not too much point in me spending much time as he will really nead to feel it. Before we set off, I pushed the clutch in and out several times so we could both hear the grinding. He heard it and he also felt it when at a stand-still. He didn't feel anything wrong with the drive initially until we simulated heavy traffic conditions - stop starting many times. He did feel it it then and was satisfied that we were experiencing the same thing. He was a bit puzzeled that he could notice the problem for the most part in first and second and not so much on the other gears. This lead him to think that it could be an issue with a cylinder near the pedal (I have no more info beyond this). Anyway, the sales manager was is keen to get the problem resolved to my satisfaction as soon as possible and 'get it off his desk'! I expect to have news on Monday or Tuesday.

I got a loan of an A4 3.0 TDI -I was keen to see what the engine, power delivery, torque, smoothness was like. Before I go there, wait for it...... ready??? The same clutch issue!! Anyway, the power delivery is not as smooth as the S5, torque is huge and the car pulls hard . A good engine, no doubt, but the S5 is hard to match for smooth power delivery.

That's it for now.....

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Opinions/Advice Needed & Appreciated

I spoke to the dealer today and was told that the 2nd clutch needs to be replaced.

This will be the third clutch, including the original, in 2,000 miles.

I feel very uncomfortable about this.

I have kept this post brief as I would like to hear what you would think/do if it was your car. Any ideas, opinions and/or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

S

· Registered
58 Posts
I got a loan of an A4 3.0 TDI -I was keen to see what the engine, power delivery, torque, smoothness was like. Before I go there, wait for it...... ready??? The same clutch issue!!
That's why I'm following this thread :( , my car is going in on wednesday to check the same clutch issues you guys experience. This is my second Audi, and again an Audi with what looks like clutch problems... the weird thing tho, it won't break down on you, i'm pretty sure it will keep on working till the end of days, but it doesn't feel good to drive, feeling what you feel and thinking things are horribly wrong here. I can only dream of Audi replacing the box with an S-tronic ... ;)

· Registered
58 Posts
Update... "the problem" ... isn't a problem they say, it's normal behavior. :(

The clutch feels weird and it appears (or is really noticeable) when leaving stationary in first or reverse. The annoying part is that you feel a light judder in the clutch/driveline when releasing the clutch. No matter how slowly or smoothly you operate it... i thought this is what's being described as "grinding feeling" but I could be wrong here?

And often it feels you're not 100% in control, it will engage a bit earlier than expected. Strange it can't go any smoother with such an expensive car... I'm going to ask a second opinion on this-one.

· Registered
74 Posts
i have 800 km on my s5 (manufacture date april 2008). i have noticed the clutch releases very slowly on occasions too (10% of the time) but haven't noticed any 'grinding' as many posts have been about. although it's not much of an issue for daily smooth driving right now, these kinda problems doesn't even happen on the cheapest mazda, i hope there will be a fix from audi soon. will talk to dealer about it tomorrow, but very much doubt that they would understand it's a real problem.........

· Registered
74 Posts
well i just verified that the 'sticky clutch' on my s5 that i complain about comes standard as i just tried out the clutch on a brand new showroom s5 and to my surprise, it exhibited the same stickiness on the first stab and release of the clutch. so, i'll just shut-up about my complaints as it's apparently one of audi's hi-tech 'features', along with the funny parking hillhold assist brake and the antistall software.........
i now pronounce my s5 perfect in everyway, i just have to get used to all these new school features!
and the dealer explained, all the s3 and s4 have the same feeling clutch

guess i'm an old school guy coming from the nissan z, skylines, rx8s where the clutches just did whatever i want . . .

· Registered
41 Posts
well i just verified that the 'sticky clutch' on my s5 that i complain about comes standard as i just tried out the clutch on a brand new showroom s5 and to my surprise, it exhibited the same stickiness on the first stab and release of the clutch. so, i'll just shut-up about my complaints as it's apparently one of audi's hi-tech 'features', along with the funny parking hillhold assist brake and the antistall software.........
i now pronounce my s5 perfect in everyway, i just have to get used to all these new school features!
and the dealer explained, all the s3 and s4 have the same feeling clutch

guess i'm an old school guy coming from the nissan z, skylines, rx8s where the clutches just did whatever i want . . .
Or maybe the new S5 that was in the showroom had also a problem...

If this was a normal thing, some kind of sistem ... then the car would always have this kind of behaviour. But ... on mine at least, sometimes the clutch works ok with no "grinding" feeling and no stickiness, and sometimes it has this problem.

Also, the S5's that had the clutch replaced are a proof of the problem...

· Registered
74 Posts
it's a random audi 'feature'! haha
lets all get together and have a simple test of the clutch pedal response here:

with the s5 engine off, just stab the clutch pedal in/out fast 10 ten times, how many times does your pedal releases sluggishly? MY AVERAGE SCORE:3

same as above but with brake pedal pressed at the same time? MY AVERAGE SCORE:6

· Registered
68 Posts
The annoying part is that you feel a light judder in the clutch/driveline when releasing the clutch. No matter how slowly or smoothly you operate it... i thought this is what's being described as "grinding feeling" but I could be wrong here?
Logic, FYI this could be the same thing that fraser describes in this thread and the same thing I've noticed on my 3.0 Tdi too...

<High jack over>

Sincerely hope you guys get those issues sorted soon...

· Registered
1,295 Posts
You guys have me scared now. My car hasn't even gone into production yet. Do you suppose they've fixed this at the factory yet?

-Ray

· Registered
74 Posts
my feeling is that audi is building a lot of hi-tech 'assists' into their new designs, meaning some of the current complaints from owners are due to some of these features, which takes a while to get used to. although, after a few days with the new s5 i have no problem getting a smooth ride on the road, i often wonder if there are any complaints from tracking s5s.
a couple of these issues include: clutch stickiness, anti-stall, low rev limiting when stationary, . . .

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.