Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a grinding feeling when using the clutch? Sometimes I get it, sometimes I do not. :confused:

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I had a good drive today and at the start of both trips it is fine, however, after 5 miles or so, I get the same grind/gravel trpe of feeling.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I absolutely have this issue. The pedal "grinds" and sticks. I haven't yet figured out the fix.
Hi Europa, it is in the dealership and they have found the problem and have the part on order. I will find out what it is and post some info.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure if I got this correctly, however, as best I can make out, they have ordered a release burn and modified sleve. Anyone shed a bit of light?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sounds like a slave cylinder, which isn't surprising, and could it read: "release bearing?" If so, that is a pain - the release bearing involves a lot of labour to remove and reinstall. Thanks, and keep us posted.
Will do. These guys have a different accent to me, so that could explain the mixup!

The factory sent over two already that wouldn't work, hense, the modified element. I think you are right about a lot of work as the guy said that my car was in pieces in the workshop.

Where in Europe are you from? Your name and spelling of 'labour' give you away :)

http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/tech_clutch-link.htm

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They changed the throwout bearing on mine, took 3 weeks....(2 weeks for the part to come)...According to the dealer, a lot of S5 have this issue.
Interesting. How is it running now and has it made any difference to before when it was working fine?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update from AudiWorld: it is the throwout bearing that is causing the clutch vibration issues. http://forums.audiworld.com/a5/msgs/31874.phtml
Thanks.

My car will be in 3 weeks on Monday!
Really starting to get on my nerves - lucky I'm on hols at the moment, but they don't think I ill get it back till the end of next week. They said that there was a problem getting the parts, but I think that it is totally unacceptable - Any thoughts?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I can't really say whether or not it's acceptable to have delays due to parts shortages. Knowing what I do about the car - that it's a low-volume, specialty car in its first year of production, it's unsurprising that a) the parts support network isn't running smoothly yet; and b) most technicians and their parts departments haven't a clue what to expect with these cars, so diagnosis isn't always going to be straightforward (even though *I believe* each dealership was required to send a tech to S5 repair training). Bear in mind that the MLP cars use the fancy new front differential for quattro, which necessitates some crazy configuration of two clutches and flywheels (or something like that), so it's not like your standard Audi.

Three weeks... ugh. I hope it doesn't take them that long for mine, but I'll survive... the TT is still a blast to drive.
Good points. I got an a4 1.8T - not bad.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Car has been put back together and was taken on a short test drive today. Dealer says, so far so good, however, it will get about 20 miles tonight and tomorrow which should give a better indication.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Latest news is that the car needs a gear recognition switch which is on back order. Apparently it affects the brake, hill-hold and possibly the anti-stall. I want my car back - 4 weeks next Monday :(

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I brought my car in to service on June 24. I haven't heard a word from them since. It's now nearly 4 weeks since I've been able to drive my S5. I'm kinda unhappy about the situation.

I did, however happen to mention to the phone survey people the fact that my car did not come with a full tank of gas... I've gotten 4 (yes 4) phone calls from Audi and my dealer about that! The fact that my car is sitting in the bowels of the service center with a mfg. defect, however. . . they're going to "look into it."
I got my car back after 4 weeks and 2 days. The whole clutch was replaced.
Seems fine and I will write a line once I have put a few miles up.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I got my car back after 4 weeks and 2 days. The whole clutch was replaced.
Seems fine and I will write a line once I have put a few miles up.
Have about 100 miles on the new clutch and I have started to feel the grinding again :mad:

It is really beyond belief...........................

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Seamo - this is NOT good news - I am sorry to hear this! It feels like the SAME grinding sensation that you felt the first time?

After placing 4 phone calls and sending 1 email to my Service Manager (before I bash the dealer / service center, I had an '02 A4 from this dealer and was very happy at that time) I FINALLY got a call back. (2 weeks and 1 day since I gave them my brand new car.)

This is what I was told... "The transmission has been taking out of the car." "The bearing they ordered from the catalog was the wrong one - turns out that the right one is not even in the catalog." "The correct bearing has been ordered from Audi in Germany to be sent out red label." "This means that they will do whatever possible - no expense spared (this is how it was phrased) - to get the part here as soon as possible, but it is coming from Germany so we do not know how long this will take."

So really my status update didn't tell me much. My service manager did add, that they saw some "hot spots" on the flywheel and clutch (I am not sure exactly what this means) and so they are "just going to replace the whole thing and make it right."

I understand that this is a new model and parts take time and what not (ok - I must throw in that the car has been "out" since September - no real reason some of these parts couldn't have made it here by now) but this is still not fair that I gave them my money when it was due, but I can't drive my car yet - I wonder what, if anything, will be done.

Seamo - I am, again, sorry for you and suddenly not confident about my S5's future. I don't know where you are but here in NY (i believe it is a state thing), Lemon Law states that a major problem that has to be fixed 3 times warrants a complete replacement of the vehicle. (Not sure of the exact stipulations there, but I do know a good friend that had her Mini Cooper replace a few years ago after several MAJOR problems that kept coming back).

J
Thanks J, really appreciate your news and good wishes.
I will let you know how it goes after I speak with the Sales Manager and the Service guys.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Any news on this problem? :confused:
I have to bring the car back to the dealer and they are going to evaluate the situation and take it from there. Probably next week before I get around to it. Will post when I have news.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Thanks for the detailed updates W4S5 - it is good to know how things are progressing and I read with great interest.

I left my car in yesterday morning and went for a drive with he technician. I drove for a while, but suggested not too much point in me spending much time as he will really nead to feel it. Before we set off, I pushed the clutch in and out several times so we could both hear the grinding. He heard it and he also felt it when at a stand-still. He didn't feel anything wrong with the drive initially until we simulated heavy traffic conditions - stop starting many times. He did feel it it then and was satisfied that we were experiencing the same thing. He was a bit puzzeled that he could notice the problem for the most part in first and second and not so much on the other gears. This lead him to think that it could be an issue with a cylinder near the pedal (I have no more info beyond this). Anyway, the sales manager was is keen to get the problem resolved to my satisfaction as soon as possible and 'get it off his desk'! I expect to have news on Monday or Tuesday.

I got a loan of an A4 3.0 TDI -I was keen to see what the engine, power delivery, torque, smoothness was like. Before I go there, wait for it...... ready??? The same clutch issue!! Anyway, the power delivery is not as smooth as the S5, torque is huge and the car pulls hard . A good engine, no doubt, but the S5 is hard to match for smooth power delivery.

That's it for now.....

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Opinions/Advice Needed & Appreciated

I spoke to the dealer today and was told that the 2nd clutch needs to be replaced.

This will be the third clutch, including the original, in 2,000 miles.

I feel very uncomfortable about this.

I have kept this post brief as I would like to hear what you would think/do if it was your car. Any ideas, opinions and/or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

S

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.