Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Clutch Issue - A5 - 2010 - 2.0TFSI

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  ES803313 
#1 ·
Hi All,

So recently I have noticed that I am finding it increasingly harder to put my car into second gear when downshifting , It will go in but I just have to be slightly more firmer.

I have also noticed that when I depressing the clutch when changing gears about 3/4 of the way up it makes a puffing sound near the pedal (not a blow off valve).

My question , I'm assuming that this will be some part of the clutch that will need replacing and would anyone have a rough cost?

P.s I have noticed a small rattling sound just under the gearstick but not sure if this is related or not.

#2 ·
This one is tough to answer I'm afraid. A few things you could try:
  • Give the slave cylinder a good bleed. Better yet, just bleed your brakes and slave all at once. Get some good fresh fluid in the system. It helps to use a pressure-bleeder for this and you want to make sure that the car is on as level of a surface as you can find (meaning - no jacking up just one side of the car).
  • Change the fluid in the trans. Find out the capacity of the transmission you have (likely different between FWD and Quattro models - not sure what you have). Make sure you buy an extra quart/pint/liter (whatever you buy over the pond!) because you need to fill the trans until it trickles back out of the fill plug - again, you want a level surface for this. Pro tip: make sure you can remove the fill plug before you remove the drain plug because it's no use getting the fluid out if you can't put it back in.
  • Less likely but replacing the slave cylinder might help. I hate to "throw parts" at a car to hope that it's fixed but it's cheap enough that it's worth a shot.

For line two, I can't really imagine what the sound could be. The only thing I can think of is the return spring for the clutch pedal. Mind sort of creaks at times. Does this sound like the issue you're experiencing? Or does it sound like it's coming from outside of the cabin?

Can't comment on cost of clutch because I'm from a different country and I ended up changing mine out myself - so, I was only in it for labor.

Rattling sound under the stick... again, tough to answer. My only guess is it's the shifter bush for the gearstick. Check out this and see if that sounds like something that will fix your problem. Another symptom of this would be a sloppy stick while the car is in gear (nobody wants that).

How many miles are on this thing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.